Tigers v Saints (H) - Saturday 28th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints (H) - Saturday 28th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Post by johnthegriff »

Having grown up in an era when it was drilled into us to look after the pill I don't pretend to understand the modern thinking of kick the ball away as a gift to the opposition but many teams do it so I suppose there must be a logic behind it.
To me the jury is still out on Wggy as head coach, our recent performances in my opinion are no better or no worse than had been produced before S.B departed, we have been inconsistent throughout this season. Pollard's introduction into the team looks to be adding a new dimension but we do lack accuracy but that may come with time.
We could and should have beaten Saints yesterday, both teams were depleted by England call up we lost by just one point so the difference was down to decisions and actions on the pitch. I see no need to panic at this stage, I am happy with the signings announced although I hope there are more to come
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:20 am Having grown up in an era when it was drilled into us to look after the pill I don't pretend to understand the modern thinking of kick the ball away as a gift to the opposition but many teams do it so I suppose there must be a logic behind it.
To me the jury is still out on Wggy as head coach, our recent performances in my opinion are no better or no worse than had been produced before S.B departed, we have been inconsistent throughout this season. Pollard's introduction into the team looks to be adding a new dimension but we do lack accuracy but that may come with time.
We could and should have beaten Saints yesterday, both teams were depleted by England call up we lost by just one point so the difference was down to decisions and actions on the pitch. I see no need to panic at this stage, I am happy with the signings announced although I hope there are more to come
Spot on
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:25 am
johnthegriff wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:20 am Having grown up in an era when it was drilled into us to look after the pill I don't pretend to understand the modern thinking of kick the ball away as a gift to the opposition but many teams do it so I suppose there must be a logic behind it.
Spot on
+1 :smt023. When you have a 10 like Pollard who brings a different dimension to the game it will take time for him and those around him to adjust. IMO there seems at times to be a disconnect at half back which puts pressure on. Should have won the game but the depth is encouraging and the playoffs are still on for all the clubs below Sarries and Sale. Bath did a good job on Sale, the Bears did a good job on Sarries only to loses like the Tigers at the end. So there is all to play for and this is no time to be despondent. Having the Ints away gives the others chance to shine and prove their worth. IMO another year or so with SB in charge should have developed the consistency that is needed so it becomes ingrained.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree with this. We had a few players yesterday who had an off day. It happens.
A2O
tripeandonions
Tiger Cub

Post by tripeandonions »

Almost 26,000 there yesterday? Accept there was a sizeable contingent from Northampton who probably could hardly believe their good fortune. But how many non-frequent purchasers of a ticket for that game, of a Leicester persuasion, will be buying again anytime soon? Leicester cannot afford to go back to shooting themselves in the foot. Yesterday was abysmal and if I were Hassell-Collins, I'd be hesitant to sign for Leicester
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

tripeandonions wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:19 pm Almost 26,000 there yesterday? Accept there was a sizeable contingent from Northampton who probably could hardly believe their good fortune. But how many non-frequent purchasers of a ticket for that game, of a Leicester persuasion, will be buying again anytime soon? Leicester cannot afford to go back to shooting themselves in the foot. Yesterday was abysmal and if I were Hassell-Collins, I'd be hesitant to sign for Leicester
i am sure Hassell-Collins appreciates that we had 7 England players missing including our first and second choice Tight head props and scrum halves. Agree that the performance was poor but aside from Saracens and Sale everybody is inconsistent this season.
A2O
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I really do think it's time to look hard at how domestic and cup games are timetabled around internationals in this country. Yes MWWR was a sell out, but I imagine many in the crowd missed watching their international stars. Of course, folk will say it gives other players on the team a chance to step up. But the stakes are high, particularly this year where so few points separate a bunch of mid-table teams.
I think I feel this particularly acutely in our local derby, where we seem to play more often than not, with a load of key players missing through international duty.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:57 pm I really do think it's time to look hard at how domestic and cup games are timetabled around internationals in this country. Yes MWWR was a sell out, but I imagine many in the crowd missed watching their international stars. Of course, folk will say it gives other players on the team a chance to step up. But the stakes are high, particularly this year where so few points separate a bunch of mid-table teams.
I think I feel this particularly acutely in our local derby, where we seem to play more often than not, with a load of key players missing through international duty.
Posh Richard and Big Dai in agreement. Had a guts full of these devalued games.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

See no need to panic yet we've lost more games than we've won this season,fortress WR is no more,in almost all of the facets of the game we have gone backwards since last season and we've lost 4 out of the last 5 with 2 shellackings. Let me know when it gets bad then will ya please!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:07 pm See no need to panic yet we've lost more games than we've won this season,fortress WR is no more,in almost all of the facets of the game we have gone backwards since last season and we've lost 4 out of the last 5 with 2 shellackings. Let me know when it gets bad then will ya please!
Well said Scott seems unbelievable that some folks are happy with the current status quo. For me last season seems like a distant dream as what we serve up on the pitch is torturous dross. For me the club have taken the view that supporters are still punch drunk on the success of last season and so have decided post the exit of Borthwick and Sir Kev to effectively abandon this season and have decided to use it to see if they can get away with keeping WW in position regardless of where we finish. To go from Champions to potential non european champions cup qualifiers in a season would be a disgrace. The appointment of a top quality Head Coach is crucial as has been showed with Borthwick get it right we prosper but get it wrong we suffer.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Tell me who is available half way through the season. If it’s somebody out of work chances are they aren’t much good. This situation is not of our making so not sure what we could do. Obviously not happy with the performances of late but shorn of 8 first choice players what do we expect ?
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:22 pm Tell me who is available half way through the season. If it’s somebody out of work chances are they aren’t much good. This situation is not of our making so not sure what we could do. Obviously not happy with the performances of late but shorn of 8 first choice players what do we expect ?
Saints were missing Freeman,Ludlam,Mitchell,Ribbans and Smith to International duty with Lawes injured and Dingwall and Loto banned! Getting fed up of the players missing excuses all the time tbh,all teams suffer!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:26 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:22 pm Tell me who is available half way through the season. If it’s somebody out of work chances are they aren’t much good. This situation is not of our making so not sure what we could do. Obviously not happy with the performances of late but shorn of 8 first choice players what do we expect ?
Saints were missing Freeman,Ludlam,Mitchell,Ribbans and Smith to International duty with Lawes injured and Dingwall and Loto banned! Getting fed up of the players missing excuses all the time tbh,all teams suffer!
ok Scott we know your always right.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:34 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:26 pm
ok Scott we know your always right.
Were they missing for Saints or not? Yes or no? Simple question
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Well frankly it's Tigers job to identify who is available not me as a supporter and I do not believe it is only WW. Saints were also shorn of a large contingent of first choice players and they actually performed better.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity