Tigers v Saints (H) - Saturday 28th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints (H) - Saturday 28th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Post by LE18 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:44 am If we have signed Hassell-Collins to go with Shilcock , Atkinson , Watson , Kelly , Steward etc would be madness to keep kicking the ball away next season.
Agree 100% and sadly Wigglesworth is a 100% kick merchant, he's not for me. Yesterday it seemed to me that because we had a novice SH his instructions were to kick it at every opportunity, take nothing on yourself. Game bored me to tears.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Why cant we play some running rugby like Irish? I thought with Pollard we might get some, poor Watson yesterday hardly touched the ball first half.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:03 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:57 pm I really do think it's time to look hard at how domestic and cup games are timetabled around internationals in this country. Yes MWWR was a sell out, but I imagine many in the crowd missed watching their international stars. Of course, folk will say it gives other players on the team a chance to step up. But the stakes are high, particularly this year where so few points separate a bunch of mid-table teams.
I think I feel this particularly acutely in our local derby, where we seem to play more often than not, with a load of key players missing through international duty.
Posh Richard and Big Dai in agreement. Had a guts full of these devalued games.
To be clear, I wasn't just talking about tigers players here.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:04 pm Why cant we play some running rugby like Irish? I thought with Pollard we might get some, poor Watson yesterday hardly touched the ball first half.
Because WW is now our head coach and was formerly our attack coach. Our attack is woeful and for me that was to the fore vs Saints
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

In simple words so it is understandable Saints had 5 players missing to England all of whom played in different positions. We had 7 missing for England including our first and second choice tightheads, and scrumhalfs so we down to at best our third choice options in those positions so I argue that we were more affected by absentees tha Saints.I discount those not available due to injury or suspension as that is a normal weekly happening, international call up is not.
I am not happy about us losing as I like to support a winning team. Tigers had no option but to release Borthwick to England, top coaches are currently employed and unavailable immediately so we need an interim Head Coach
A top currently international coach is not going to be available until after the World Cup so whilst I would hope we are talking to several options I think we just have to support the current coaches and their team until at least the end of the season.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:17 pm In simple words so it is understandable Saints had 5 players missing to England all of whom played in different positions. We had 7 missing for England including our first and second choice tightheads, and scrumhalfs so we down to at best our third choice options in those positions so I argue that we were more affected by absentees tha Saints.I discount those not available due to injury or suspension as that is a normal weekly happening, international call up is not.
I am not happy about us losing as I like to support a winning team. Tigers had no option but to release Borthwick to England, top coaches are currently employed and unavailable immediately so we need an interim Head Coach
A top currently international coach is not going to be available until after the World Cup so whilst I would hope we are talking to several options I think we just have to support the current coaches and their team until at least the end of the season.
Ok if that's so, Please can we ask them to change their game play, i'm fed up with this kicking game. I'd much rather lose to an exciting running game than this stuff.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:17 pm I think we just have to support the current coaches and their team until at least the end of the season.
At least? I sincerely hope not as that is at the root of our problems
Last edited by sapajo on Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:17 pm In simple words so it is understandable Saints had 5 players missing to England all of whom played in different positions. We had 7 missing for England including our first and second choice tightheads, and scrumhalfs so we down to at best our third choice options in those positions so I argue that we were more affected by absentees tha Saints.I discount those not available due to injury or suspension as that is a normal weekly happening, international call up is not.
So you discount starters then if it’s injury or suspension?! Don’t know why I bother! Farcical way of looking at things,so our missing starters only count because they are internationals ,yet theirs don’t because of injuries and suspensions? Really?! The levels of reaching by some are unprecedented! Talk about constant goalpost moving
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tickled me that has! You can’t discount players if they are injured or banned. If they are first team starters they are first team starters,as simple as that!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:06 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:57 pm I really do think it's time to look hard at how domestic and cup games are timetabled around internationals in this country. Yes MWWR was a sell out, but I imagine many in the crowd missed watching their international stars. Of course, folk will say it gives other players on the team a chance to step up. But the stakes are high, particularly this year where so few points separate a bunch of mid-table teams.
I think I feel this particularly acutely in our local derby, where we seem to play more often than not, with a load of key players missing through international duty.
To be clear. Neither were we. Leicester v Saints (or Leicester v Gloucester, Thanks Posh) should be games played with a "full compliment." Otherwise it's a prem cup or development game.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:37 pm
To be clear. Neither were we. Leicester v Saints (or Leicester v Gloucester, Thanks Posh) should be games played with a "full compliment." Otherwise it's a prem cup or development game.
We are in perfect agreement! :smt041 LIR with (I think) only one player on England duty currently running rings around Quins (though a red card for the latter won't be helping) reinforces the point.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:43 pm

We are in perfect agreement! :smt041 LIR with (I think) only one player on England duty currently running rings around Quins (though a red card for the latter won't be helping) reinforces the point.
:smt023 :smt023
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

We don't kick too much, we just aren't slick enough when we do have a chance with ball in hand. Consequently we very quickly lose momentum and are back in a situation where kicking is the only sensible option.

It's not that we are choosing to kick too often, but that we are too often getting in a situation where we have to kick because our attack has broken down and we have slow ball.

Here's an interview with Nick Evans about why kicking so much is important.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rugbyp ... their-dna/
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:43 pm

….and Irish have a 10 that’s played most/all of the games and those inside and outside of him know exactly what he’s going to do. We’ve had Atkinson for a bit, Burns for a bit, Pollard for a bit…,and a selection of players at 12 and 13. It does affect your rhythm and flow. That is a genuine reason why we are stuttering. Please don’t say players should slot in and be fully up to speed, it doesn’t work like that. Any idea what it’s like to be injured and then come back into the Premiership? Nor have I but I suspect it takes a while to get back up to speed….and training doesn’t bring the intensity of a game. Oh yeah, they’re professional players they should just slot in. Nope. There has been a lot of disruption on the field, let alone with the coaching staff. Again, a valid reason for us stuttering.

Having said that, we do look bereft of ideas and we’re a tad turgid. Top 4 hasn’t gone by the way, despite people saying it has. We were good at Clermont, if we can pick that up again we’ll be in the mix.

I was thinking. Quins score some great tries but are inconsistent. Are their fans complaining that they’re a bit loose ? Probably. They’re 2 points ahead of us, but they look good, so that’s ok. You have to love rugby !
Last edited by westwinds31 on Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Just looked at the incident between Weise and Waller, Weise had his shoulder against Wallers shin and was pulling Wallers ankle towards him, he could of done a lot of damage to his ankle/leg.
Awful thing to do against an opposing player and I for one hope he is cited and receives a long ban.
Weise is a top player but he has gone down in my estimation having seen the incident, total thuggery!!!
If a Northampton player had done the same thing this forum would rightly be up in arms.