Tigers v Saints (H) - Saturday 28th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints (H) - Saturday 28th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Pellsey wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:14 pm With one notable exception, our front row options look a little light. That would be my only concern.

I'm a little baffled that Atkinson is not playing, and Gopperth is. That said, Gopperth has done a few good things recently, and he definitely has the experience for the later stages of the game, if needed.
To be fair, Atkinson took a knock against Newcastle and seems to have battled through the last few weeks. I think he probably deserves a bit of rotation and rest whilst the wider squad still allows.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Pellsey wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:18 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:16 pm
Pellsey wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:14 pm With one notable exception, our front row options look a little light. That would be my only concern.

I'm a little baffled that Atkinson is not playing, and Gopperth is. That said, Gopperth has done a few good things recently, and he definitely has the experience for the later stages of the game, if needed.

I do like the look of our backs, especially Porter being back, and it is great to see Martin back on the bench. Our back row looks awesome with Wiese there.
Whitcombe has proved more than capable against a host of decent props over the last few weeks and Hurd has been ok....West to come on as well if it's not going well. Snyman has a decent amount of kgs to push through.
True, Whitcombe really is getting a lot better. But when he and Montoya come off..
West is a tidy player, and Clare has more than earned his place.

It's Hurd and Richardson that have a point to prove.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Do we think we've been holding back a bit recently? Seems a bit too good to be true to have so many players back at the same time.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Referee: Wayne Barnes

Assistant Referees: Jack Makepeace and Wayne Falla

TMO: Rowan Kitt

Citing Officer: Shaun Gallagher
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The centres are the wrong way round for me & I presume Woltensholme is crocked, Wiese & Montoya make a huge difference to us, big game for Pollard to nurse Edwards, not only inexperienced but barely played recently.

Anything less that a comfortable victory would be poor with that line up, its only really TH we are "light" up front, Hurd does a lot in the loose though.

I see we are honoured with Sir Wayne as well...at least he tends to shut Kitty Kat Up.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Darc Tiger wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:29 pm Do we think we've been holding back a bit recently? Seems a bit too good to be true to have so many players back at the same time.
Could be a case of trusting the guys who played in Europe and then also wanting to make a big charge up the premium table. 4, or even 5 points this weekend would make a massive difference.

Interesting to see whether Watson and Porter, and Martin to an extent get called into the England wider squad if they come through the match unscathed...

Big chance for Edwards tomorrow. Stake a claim ahead of Whiteley and Wolstenholme - strike a good partnership with a world class 10 in Pollard, International class backs, and an (in all but name) international backrow. Front foot ball by Wiese et al for Edwards to play with and feed Pollard will be key.

Hopefully we can hold our own in the scrum, and the line out functions. That gives us a strong chance at home in the Derby.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wiese is a great out and out 8, that helps if our scrum is struggling. He's very good at getting his hands to the ball and getting out off the back of the scrum. Having him there means our scrum will be able to get the ball away under pressure.

That said I'd have Whitcombe & Montoya over their 1 & 2, in fact I'd probably have West and Clare over them too.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:50 pm Wiese is a great out and out 8, that helps if our scrum is struggling. He's very good at getting his hands to the ball and getting out off the back of the scrum. Having him there means our scrum will be able to get the ball away under pressure.

That said I'd have Whitcombe & Montoya over their 1 & 2, in fact I'd probably have West and Clare over them too.
Our line out will be a struggle I think
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I'm glad we've trusted Edwards with the start. Would be rough on him if we brought in two more 9s and bumped him down the list when he's done nothing wrong and had to wait for opportunities.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Bookies have it as a 9 point winning margin for Tigers in the handicap betting stakes
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
bendy

Post by bendy »

Barnes' first trip to Welford Rd since before covid?

We'll have to put some signposts out to remind him where the changing rooms are.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Two much better sides than either set of fans might have thought.
Hope we take all the 3 pointers on offer.
Think their forwards and ours well match apart from the props.Aaron Hinckley and their beast of an 8 will make life interesting.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:52 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:50 pm Wiese is a great out and out 8, that helps if our scrum is struggling. He's very good at getting his hands to the ball and getting out off the back of the scrum. Having him there means our scrum will be able to get the ball away under pressure.

Our line out will be a struggle I think
Disagree, Snyman was brought in as our main backup lineout caller.

Him Wells & Liebenberg are all quality lineout jumpers, think we'll do ok there tbh
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:32 pm Referee: Wayne Barnes

Assistant Referees: Jack Makepeace and Wayne Falla

TMO: Rowan Kitt

Citing Officer: Shaun Gallagher
:smt035 :smt038 :smt041
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Darc Tiger wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:28 pm
Pellsey wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:18 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:16 pm

Whitcombe has proved more than capable against a host of decent props over the last few weeks and Hurd has been ok....West to come on as well if it's not going well. Snyman has a decent amount of kgs to push through.
True, Whitcombe really is getting a lot better. But when he and Montoya come off..
West is a tidy player, and Clare has more than earned his place.

It's Hurd and Richardson that have a point to prove.
Hurd held his own against Ospreys at their place