Tigers v Saints (H) - Saturday 28th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints (H) - Saturday 28th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Post by Scott1 »

BigDan50 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:04 pm Just looked at the incident between Weise and Waller, Weise had his shoulder against Wallers shin and was pulling Wallers ankle towards him, he could of done a lot of damage to his ankle/leg.
Awful thing to do against an opposing player and I for one hope he is cited and receives a long ban.
Weise is a top player but he has gone down in my estimation having seen the incident, total thuggery!!!
If a Northampton player had done the same thing this forum would rightly be up in arms.
Doesn’t look good does it? Looks more than just holding a players leg to slow him down so he can’t get back in play. It looks like a genuine effort to bend it to me
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

BigDan50 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:04 pm Just looked at the incident between Weise and Waller, Weise had his shoulder against Wallers shin and was pulling Wallers ankle towards him, he could of done a lot of damage to his ankle/leg.
Awful thing to do against an opposing player and I for one hope he is cited and receives a long ban.
Weise is a top player but he has gone down in my estimation having seen the incident, total thuggery!!!
If a Northampton player had done the same thing this forum would rightly be up in arms.
Agreed. What I don’t like is the posting on social media to call it out further. There’s a citing panel, let them deal with it. We’ll be without Wiese for a while.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Wallers refusal to shake Weise hand at the end of the game says it all.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I didn't move goalposts Scot I ignored injured players for both teams, suspensions are self inflicted absentees. Both teams had players missing I just think we were more affected by absentees than Saints, our injury list is probably just as extensive if more so than Saints and includes some possible starters and others that were probable second choices.
We lost a game we could and should have won but a one point loss is not a shellacking. Decisions taken on the pitch or kicks missed are not the fault of the coach, kicking the ball away as part of a game plan is but that was Borthwick's style and it is probably difficult to change mid season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:26 pm I didn't move goalposts Scot I ignored injured players for both teams, suspensions are self inflicted absentees. Both teams had players missing I just think we were more affected by absentees than Saints, our injury list is probably just as extensive if more so than Saints and includes some possible starters and others that were probable second choices.
We lost a game we could and should have won but a one point loss is not a shellacking. Decisions taken on the pitch or kicks missed are not the fault of the coach, kicking the ball away as part of a game plan is but that was Borthwick's style and it is probably difficult to change mid season.
Fair enough,my mistake. My point is though that what we had out there was enough to win that game for me.
Last edited by Scott1 on Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:26 pm kicking the ball away as part of a game plan is but that was Borthwick's style and it is probably difficult to change mid season.
Well it's a very easy job for WW. God forbid he would dare to change what does not work as its probably to difficult to change mid season. As WW has no targets or expectations to meet how about him changing things up as after all what has he and Tigers got to lose at this juncture?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

For me... IMO it's hard to know what intent Wiese has. When he first grabs the ankle the player is upright. I think he then tries to assist the tackle then releases the ankle.

Question for me is at what point he realises that it may cause injury is it when he releases the ankle or is it when he starts to assist in the tackle.

What some forget it's essentially been a full year since Wiese has had any card of any colour despite the level of scrutiny he's put under. His discipline has massively improved, do we think he throws that away, deliberately.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:39 pm For me... IMO it's hard to know what intent Wiese has. When he first grabs the ankle the player is upright. I think he then tries to assist the tackle then releases the ankle.

Question for me is at what point he realises that it may cause injury is it when he releases the ankle or is it when he starts to assist in the tackle.

What some forget it's essentially been a full year since Wiese has had any card of any colour despite the level of scrutiny he's put under. His discipline has massively improved, do we think he throws that away, deliberately.
Looks like he has 2 goes at it for me!
https://www.rugbydump.com/news/leiceste ... nkle-roll/
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not sure how he can get banned.
Unless i'm mistaken since he didn't injure Waller in any way, then you would have to look at what it the cold hard facts, which is he grabbed his leg whilst on the floor.

I'm not sure outside the court of public opinion how any can say that he intended or didn't intend to "break Waller's leg", I mean the fact saints fans are comparing it too Clark does strike me as more let's say projection I guess.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:09 pm Not sure how he can get banned.
Unless i'm mistaken since he didn't injure Waller in any way, then you would have to look at what it the cold hard facts, which is he grabbed his leg whilst on the floor.

I'm not sure outside the court of public opinion how any can say that he intended or didn't intend to "break Waller's leg", I mean the fact saints fans are comparing it too Clark does strike me as more let's say projection I guess.
It's 100% projection of the shame they feel for Clarke.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I suppose it depends how you look at it. Do we still feel the same way about the incident if the roles were reversed?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean on paper Moon is in just as dangerous a position on Wells in that very clip.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

With regards Weise! I’ve looked at it in the game! Both Weise and Moon go in to grab the ankle: I’m honestly not sure either player was doing anything more than try to tackle and in Moons’ case, clear out!
I hope the game isn’t becoming fans opinions condemning players.
It’s like today’s red for Quins.No way did Stephen Lewies mean to injure the Irish 8 but as the law stands he had to get sent off.
Compared to what went on 25-30 years ago there are no thugs in today’s game.
Tough players! Yes!
Owen Farrell is another player who gets divided opinions: yes he goes in hard and sometimes recklessly but he’s not a dirty player. Same could be said about Manu: I’d just say he’s over enthusiastic in the way he tackles. I’d hate to be playing in todays game!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Surely if someone of Wiese's undeniable strength had wanted to do damage in that situation, he would have succeeded? The tackle hasn't been completed so he's hanging on and trying to help stop him.

Over analysed, 2+2=400. Nothing in it for me.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

It is the new RFU tackle height rule, round the ankles or get sent off!
Seriously, there are some posters with a twisted view of the game, if you let the leg go the tackled player is free to carry on, how many times do we hear "not held" from the ref, so you hold on and wait for support to put the player to ground.