Change to tackle height laws

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Change to tackle height laws

Post by GB72 »

I guess what changed was the whole idea of 'winning the tackle' which I am sure did not exist when I played. We tackled to bring the man down, now the focus is on knocking the man back and being able to get over the ball to steal. Then again, rucking was different then as well with the expectation to drive over the ball rather than all pile in until it pops out the back. Not much clearing out either, in fact I am sure we used to try and drag more people in to rucks and mauls to create space for the backs. Offloading was also less developed and so there was no real need to try and lock the ball into the tackle (though I seem to remember more effort to rip the ball back then).

So, my litle, probably wrong, trip down memory lane was meant to say that the tackle should not be looked at in isolation but needs to be addressed in relation to how the game is played in and around the tackle area.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I don't really see what these changes are going to do, when I played age grade rugby (2002-2010ish) we were taught to tackle this way and people still got K/O'd occasionally.

The biggest issue for me is the dynamics are different at different levels of the game. At local low level rugby the speed of the game is considerably slower and the accidents are more likely due to physical mismatches or to a lesser extent poor technique. At higher levels most head contact seems to come from fraction of a second miscalculations in terms of body height due to the speed of the game being so intense.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:10 pm
The biggest issue for me is the dynamics are different at different levels of the game.
This is a very important point that I feel is always overlooked, professional rugby is very different to how much of rugby is played at the different age grades and amateur levels.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Whether it reduces injury or not the RFU must be seen to be addressing the problem to mitigate liability. Whether it does or not I suspect is not the issue more being seen to do something.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Something has to be done because the current red card policy isn't really working, LI seem oblivious to it.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:47 pm Something has to be done because the current red card policy isn't really working, LI seem oblivious to it.
Man who invented the "upright" choke tackle being the one coaching the team with the most red cards for high tackles. The way he talks about it in interviews suggests he's not coaching them to go lower...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

bendy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:24 pm

What are people's thoughts? Is this going to eventually find its way into the pro-game? Is this an early deathknell for rugby as we know it, or a vital move to preserve the feasibility of the game?
Rugby survived before the post professionalism fashion to tackle higher, exacerbated by the Les Kiss choke tackle (allied to the appalling maul law).

Maybe in the long term it'll help contribute to the faster game brought about by the need for greater athleticism, agility and flexibility, increased offloading, leading to leaner players, leading to greater all round safety entirely.

The Springboks won't like it.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://t.co/inrSMzyNNy

For those interested here is a link to the publised medical paper in the British Journal of Sports Medicine in conjunction with the British Medical Journal, where they state that rules forcing tackle heights to be lowered increases concussion rates.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I understand why the RFU need to address the current crop of concussion legal cases......

But i know a number of local amateur rugby players and none are in favour. It will completely change the sport and the days of the different shapes and sizes in rugby union could soon be gone. Personally i think it's a bad decision to force this on amateur players, but we shall see what transpires.

If numbers for local rugby dwindle further, it will be the end of the game as we know it and without local and school rugby there will be no professional game.
Soggypitch
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Soggypitch wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:49 am I understand why the RFU need to address the current crop of concussion legal cases......

But i know a number of local amateur rugby players and none are in favour. It will completely change the sport and the days of the different shapes and sizes in rugby union could soon be gone. Personally i think it's a bad decision to force this on amateur players, but we shall see what transpires.

If numbers for local rugby dwindle further, it will be the end of the game as we know it and without local and school rugby there will be no professional game.
The other issue is the lower the standard of rugby the lower, less experienced, standard of officiating.
I totally agree that something needs to be done but for the line should be the armpits.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Exactly, below armpit line/chest. Moves tackle away from head and keeps it away from knees.

How does having the tackle height below the waist affect mauls, and defending pick and goes?
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Does that mean the end of the defender ripping the ball in contact? Because presumably their grabbing for the ball would be a high tackle?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:56 am Does that mean the end of the defender ripping the ball in contact? Because presumably their grabbing for the ball would be a high tackle?
In theory yes
Wes

Post by Wes »

I assume that by default it means there will never be a ripped ball again.

I do think it'll be a faster game with every tackle comes an opportunity to offload, not sure how that changes the rest of the play. On one hand it could mean ball in play is increased with larger players being unable to keep up but on the other, on a wet and windy day, with dodgy handling skills at the lower levels, the chuck and hope pass could mean 50 scrums a game!
I only live there to wind up the population!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:38 pm It is of course how many of us oldies were taught to tackle.
For safety I think the paragraph about encouraging the ball carrier not to dip into the tackle is equally important.
In terms of the game it will eventually lead to leaner quicker players and the off load and support runners will become king.
If it is ever implemented across the game the scrums will become de powered, the lineout wouldn’t be affected and rucks would get even quicker.
+1 RG.Just the way I was taught to tackle as an 11 year old in 1960. IMO, and as you say RG, it will develop a quicker game with all XV becoming support runners. Just need to get the full driving ruck back and it will be even quicker. Players like Bevan Rodd will thrive being of lighter weight as a Prop.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat