Change to tackle height laws

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bendy

Re: Change to tackle height laws

Post by bendy »

Sounds like something of a backdown from the RFU.

Just hope the politics doesn't get in the way and they can get to some sort of "...after further consultation we've decided to tweak the wording to 'chest' height..." or similar and all parties can save face.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64395234
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

bendy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:44 am Sounds like something of a backdown from the RFU.

Just hope the politics doesn't get in the way and they can get to some sort of "...after further consultation we've decided to tweak the wording to 'chest' height..." or similar and all parties can save face.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64395234
Possibly because over 200 clubs are calling for a vote of no confidence in them
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Wes

Post by Wes »

Interesting podcast on the good the bad and rugby this week, just Tinds, no Hask and a very good set of questions to Head of Game Development at the RFU, with counters from our own ex James Buckland.
It sounds to me like the RFU do want to change how the game is played, and this was announced within hours of a lawsuit being filed by amateur players so looks to be a massive knee jerk!
I only live there to wind up the population!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

As if the RFU changes weren't bad enough.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... lite-game/
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Chalkie White tried to teach me to tackle round the hips and slide down. "Hold his legs together and he can't run". Occasionally got my head on the wrong side and tore my ear half off once. All repaired.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

https://www.patreon.com/posts/77489775

That piece by Prof Ross Tucker is by a distance the most informative thing I've read on the matter and is well worth a read.

I chatted with a friend who works as an analyst for Prem club recently after the announced law changes and the way he summed it up was simple. He felt that players weren't still going high as the red cards weren't being dished out strictly enough. It was due to the advantage of hitting around the sternum (i.e. ball and all) far outweighing the potential disadvantage of a red.

He went as far to say that if you could clone a team, his example being the French team as they are currently fantastic, then have them play each other one side with 15 players but allowed to tackle waist or below and one team with 14 players but allowed to tackle within the current laws then most analysts and coaches would back the 14 men every day of the week. The advantage of the dominant tackles from individual defenders hitting higher and double tackles (only really possible with one tackler going high) are absolutely gigantic.

My prediction is that in time we will see the tackle height in the pro and semi pro game move to the sternum and in at least age grade rugby, if not community rugby too, it will move to the waist.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Chipster wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:27 am When i was a young lad in the late 70s i was taught to tackle round the waist head on the correct side, and then slide down.
too much upright tackling. yes i guess it would mean more offloads but doesnt that create more running rugby.
Same here and agree. But I also received all my concussions from flying knees and kicking feet doing so. And that includes both amateur rugby league and amateur rugby union. I do wonder if that’s more common to the amateur game?
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

I have visions or is that nightmares of tacking high striding Andy Ripley below the waist. For the young uns out there a rangey England flanker/8 who could run like a 400m high hurdler.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:28 pm I have visions or is that nightmares of tacking high striding Andy Ripley below the waist. For the young uns out there a rangey England flanker/8 who could run like a 400m high hurdler.
One of the players from the old days that would've made an impact in the modern game. He was a 400m hurdler.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Ah Ripper. A remarkably rounded sportsman. He nearly qualified for the Boat Race at 50 as well after returning to University. A great bloke by all accounts too. He's high up the list of sportsmen I wish I could have met.

Really important when discussing 'high knee' type runners that the waist is actually closer to the belly button than where many of the younger generation wear their trousers or shorts. The line from the top of your hips to bottom of your rib cage. So a lot higher than many envisage when hearing these rules.

Experts such as Ross Tucker feel that tackle height will either come down to the bottom of the sternum (around nipple height) or the waist (around belly button) depending on the level of the game.
ashleytiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ashleytiger »

Any reduction in tackle height will further result in an increase in stoppages to the point where the game will become really really tedious. What happened to those shock resistant scrum caps they were touting around a few years back?
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I am against padded scrum caps and indeed shoulder pads. Years ago the law was no padding above the waist .. Forwards concerned about their ears wore either a scrum cap that had leather ear pieces and merely two pieces to elastic over the head or they bandaged their ears.
I believe that cushioned scrum caps and shoulder pads give the tackler a false sense of security and makes him go into the tackle in a much more reckless way. If you know your head or shoulder are going to sting a bit you are a lot more circumspect in your tackle choice. Padding is just another thing that has added to injury not reduced it .. pretty much like all law changes.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I mean, the name 'scrum cap' should tell the wearer what its use is. kids coaches should be telling parents that they are not a tackle aid but for scrummaging.
Drixtonian

Post by Drixtonian »

An indicator of the state of rugby union at present can be drawn from the attendances at grounds. Last Saturday 66,047 people watched a Premiership match live, across all five games. The crowd for Tigers v Saints accounted for 39% of that figure. Compare that to the average gate at just one Premier League football ground, Old Trafford, that is 72,000. Leicester Tigers excepted, this indicates how unpopular Premiership rugby is for spectators across the rest of the country.

Contrast this with Twickenham for the opening six nations match and there will be a capacity 82,000 crowd. The total Premiership crowd last week would have left one in five Twickenham seats empty.

The RFU need to understand that over time without a strong Premiership their golden goose will stop laying. And the Premiership have to understand that to support them they need a motivated and competitive Championship with promotion and relegation. And so the chain goes on right down to the grass roots clubs. Making different tackling laws for different levels of rugby is in the long term suicidal for the game.

The RFU need to look beyond Billy Williams’ cabbage patch and the international seasons with their big ticket sponsors, and focus on how they propose to widen the appeal of the game throughout the country. Rugby needs a gear change in popularity and this needs to be the RFU's priority. Otherwise, sad though it is, there is a finite life expectancy of the game so many have loved.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Drixtonian wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:33 pm An indicator of the state of rugby union at present can be drawn from the attendances at grounds. Last Saturday 66,047 people watched a Premiership match live, across all five games. The crowd for Tigers v Saints accounted for 39% of that figure. Compare that to the average gate at just one Premier League football ground, Old Trafford, that is 72,000. Leicester Tigers excepted, this indicates how unpopular Premiership rugby is for spectators across the rest of the country.

Contrast this with Twickenham for the opening six nations match and there will be a capacity 82,000 crowd. The total Premiership crowd last week would have left one in five Twickenham seats empty.

The RFU need to understand that over time without a strong Premiership their golden goose will stop laying. And the Premiership have to understand that to support them they need a motivated and competitive Championship with promotion and relegation. And so the chain goes on right down to the grass roots clubs. Making different tackling laws for different levels of rugby is in the long term suicidal for the game.

The RFU need to look beyond Billy Williams’ cabbage patch and the international seasons with their big ticket sponsors, and focus on how they propose to widen the appeal of the game throughout the country. Rugby needs a gear change in popularity and this needs to be the RFU's priority. Otherwise, sad though it is, there is a finite life expectancy of the game so many have loved.
Even HQ is struggling to fill the ground for the Italy game apparently
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer