Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Change to tackle height laws

Post by TigerCam »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:58 am
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:56 am Does that mean the end of the defender ripping the ball in contact? Because presumably their grabbing for the ball would be a high tackle?
In theory yes
Which will lead to more off-loads happening, requiring faster support runners and a quicker game.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerCam wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:06 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:38 pm It is of course how many of us oldies were taught to tackle.
For safety I think the paragraph about encouraging the ball carrier not to dip into the tackle is equally important.
In terms of the game it will eventually lead to leaner quicker players and the off load and support runners will become king.
If it is ever implemented across the game the scrums will become de powered, the lineout wouldn’t be affected and rucks would get even quicker.
+1 RG.Just the way I was taught to tackle as an 11 year old in 1960. IMO, and as you say RG, it will develop a quicker game with all XV becoming support runners. Just need to get the full driving ruck back and it will be even quicker. Players like Bevan Rodd will thrive being of lighter weight as a Prop.
Tigercam I would go further and say it might see the return of the maul in open play. Bring back the maul when it was a pushing contest and the side moving forward has the advantage none of this loose it or use it nonsense. Very difficult to defend and backs moves can be set off it with the opposition in reverse.
bendy

Post by bendy »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:24 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:38 pm It is of course how many of us oldies were taught to tackle.
For safety I think the paragraph about encouraging the ball carrier not to dip into the tackle is equally important.
In terms of the game it will eventually lead to leaner quicker players and the off load and support runners will become king.
If it is ever implemented across the game the scrums will become de powered, the lineout wouldn’t be affected and rucks would get even quicker.
+1 RG.Just the way I was taught to tackle as an 11 year old in 1960. IMO, and as you say RG, it will develop a quicker game with all XV becoming support runners. Just need to get the full driving ruck back and it will be even quicker. Players like Bevan Rodd will thrive being of lighter weight as a Prop.
Tigercam I would go further and say it might see the return of the maul in open play. Bring back the maul when it was a pushing contest and the side moving forward has the advantage none of this loose it or use it nonsense. Very difficult to defend and backs moves can be set off it with the opposition in reverse.
I can't really think how a maul can be formed. Two tacklers grabbing someone by their legs, whilst one of the ball carrier's own team mates also binds onto his legs?

Surely the ball carrier will just offload before this can happen?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

bendy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:45 am

I can't really think how a maul can be formed. Two tacklers grabbing someone by their legs, whilst one of the ball carrier's own team mates also binds onto his legs?

Agreed there is no legal way to form a maul even off lineout.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Pie in the sky but when I were a lad, the ball carrier would take the contact with either shoulder or back and team mate would latch onto the ball with both staying on their feet.
As with all law changes ways will be found around it.
For what it’s worth this is an RFU initiative not world rugby, and it would never make it into the pro game without serious amendments, so it will be interesting to see how it progresses
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:01 pm

Pie in the sky but when I were a lad, the ball carrier would take the contact with either shoulder or back and team mate would latch onto the ball with both staying on their feet.
As with all law changes ways will be found around it.
For what it’s worth this is an RFU initiative not world rugby, and it would never make it into the pro game without serious amendments, so it will be interesting to see how it progresses
Yes but in the new rules that initial contact being on the shoulder or back is a penalty.

Has to be waist or below
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wes

Post by Wes »

I would expect this to be RFU first, all other unions to follow and then into the professional game.

I also expect this to be the initial 'trial', followed by a nipple level line on all playing tops above which contact is not allowed (unless on an arm) which will be across all levels of the game.

However those 2 sentences will probably take 4 years to do...
I only live there to wind up the population!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TFS you are right but I think it says that they are only requesting the ball carrier not to dip into contact so if they initiate it they should in theory be able to stay on their feet.
All in theory anyway.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wes wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:31 pm I would expect this to be RFU first, all other unions to follow and then into the professional game.

I also expect this to be the initial 'trial', followed by a nipple level line on all playing tops above which contact is not allowed (unless on an arm) which will be across all levels of the game.

However those 2 sentences will probably take 4 years to do...
I’m sure you’re right Wes, this is a starting point and the line will be raised to sub armpit.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Waist or below is a farce,let's hope common sense prevails and it's armpit and below
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Pacific Islanders,and others,are natural genetic freaks (compliment) and won't be able to depower. I can't wait for players to start getting knocked out by hips and knees!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Like a few other comments made already when I played rugby at school (1963-1968) one of our coaches always said to us as leaving changing room "remember boys no one can run without their legs & stop sharpening those new fangled aluminium studs on the concrete " Not sure what he meant by second comment as he was a Welsh man
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

It's got to end up being armpit/nipple line. I like the idea of having a line on playing jerseys, easy for tmo/Austin to check and is also a constant reminder to players.

Don't put it on replica jerseys though!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ads wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:29 pm It's got to end up being armpit/nipple line. I like the idea of having a line on playing jerseys, easy for tmo/Austin to check and is also a constant reminder to players.

Don't put it on replica jerseys though!!
Austin :smt003 :smt023
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Lines on shirts an interesting thought. How about the badge as a marker or regulate the sponsor position."Tackle below the badge/sponsor!"
Being a game for all sizes heights and shapes vary but armpits don't.
Let's just make sure Sir has an O level in human biology.