England squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad

Post by mol2 »

Borthwick knows he has limited options to change the squad so unlikely to bring in players who are currently injured like Arundell and Watson. Again Ford isn’t there but it wouldn’t be wise to try and prematurely pick a player returning after a major injury like an Achilles rupture. Besides I think Ford’s England days are over and, given the limited time before the World Cup, it would be far from certain he will be the player he once was.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:44 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:37 am
Tigers86asw wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:36 am

Don’t know if Watson and Arundell are injured? Ribbans for Isiekwe but the later will fix the lineout.
I would have taken Lawrence over Marchant but the latter has more positional flexibility. Hill is unlucky but backrow very competitive.

No Vunipola means more options for none jumping flankers.
Certainly Watson came off against Sale injured and I don’t think Arundell has played since November
Just checked. 21st October for Arundell.
Thanks Charlie. I remember him getting injured and trying to play on, and it didn’t look that serious at the time. Getting on for 3 months now.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

IMO Borthwick naming Farrell as captain is him laying down his marker and removing any doubt as to will be starting at 10.

4 centres in the squad plus Daley, so could see a midfield against Scotland of Farrell, Tuilagi Marchant
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:13 pm
daktari wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:07 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:53 am
No because his ban is weeks not matches.
That isn't the reality though - if he doesn't complete "tackle school" he is banned from the Leicester match - that's 5 weeks from the hearing. It's a clear fudge to allow him to play for England.(nothing to do with Farrell as play but the disciplinary system)
I’m sorry but that’s rubbish, which player hasn’t completed tackle school
I know that but the point is the use of "weeks" is nonsensical as without the caveat of the reduction it is longer then 4 weeks.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

daktari wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:18 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:13 pm
daktari wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:07 pm

That isn't the reality though - if he doesn't complete "tackle school" he is banned from the Leicester match - that's 5 weeks from the hearing. It's a clear fudge to allow him to play for England.(nothing to do with Farrell as play but the disciplinary system)
I’m sorry but that’s rubbish, which player hasn’t completed tackle school
I know that but the point is the use of "weeks" is nonsensical as without the caveat of the reduction it is longer then 4 weeks.
I do get what you’re saying but as you said earlier it’s the system that’s at fault.
You obviously haven’t but there are a few anti Farrell crusaders on here, but I would like to think that the same reasoning would have been used had say Freddie Steward been involved
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Some interesting views on the squad selection.
Personally, as a Tigers supporter, I don't give a fig about the 6N and look upon it as a ridiculous intrusion in the season.
Football stopped playing the annual games against the other home countries years ago as they were meaningless. What other sport would allow their best players away for months in the middle of the domestic season?
If they must play them, do it every four years and in the summer.
As for the AI's? The All Blacks/Aussies touring was great once in a blue moon, but every year devalues the whole thing.
The loss of The Insects and Wuss must surely ring a bell? Clubs must come first.
A life long Tiger
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I would like to see bans applied to the competition in which the offence took place and so an offence in the premiership results in a ban for that competition only.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Smudge wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:39 pm Some interesting views on the squad selection.
Personally, as a Tigers supporter, I don't give a fig about the 6N and look upon it as a ridiculous intrusion in the season.
Football stopped playing the annual games against the other home countries years ago as they were meaningless. What other sport would allow their best players away for months in the middle of the domestic season?
If they must play them, do it every four years and in the summer.
As for the AI's? The All Blacks/Aussies touring was great once in a blue moon, but every year devalues the whole thing.
The loss of The Insects and Wuss must surely ring a bell? Clubs must come first.
Just a counter point, the 5/6 nations rugby tournament has been in existence much longer than the premiership and professional rugby in general. It has always been played at this time of year.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:40 pm I would like to see bans applied to the competition in which the offence took place and so an offence in the premiership results in a ban for that competition only.
The only issue with that is if an offence took place in Europe, 5 red cards this weekend, and that club only had 1 game left in Europe, but the ban was for 4 games, it hardly seems fair to carry that over to next season. You may even see a situation where a player moves club, does he take the ban with him
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:45 pm
GB72 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:40 pm I would like to see bans applied to the competition in which the offence took place and so an offence in the premiership results in a ban for that competition only.
The only issue with that is if an offence took place in Europe, 5 red cards this weekend, and that club only had 1 game left in Europe, but the ban was for 4 games, it hardly seems fair to carry that over to next season. You may even see a situation where a player moves club, does he take the ban with him
I would be OK with that, would stop clubs arranging matches to end bans, bans not impacting the club if players were on international duty etc. In football it is not unusual for players to move clubs subject to a suspension etc.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I may be wrong but I think bans have been handed out in test rugby before that only apply to internationals. Possibly in the last RWC, but I could also be my age
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

It would certainly help palyers focus on their game if a suspension given for a card in the last match of the 6 Nations could impact thier availability for the world cup based on international bans being chalked off against international matches.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:12 pm IMO Borthwick naming Farrell as captain is him laying down his marker and removing any doubt as to will be starting at 10.

4 centres in the squad plus Daley, so could see a midfield against Scotland of Farrell, Tuilagi Marchant
No thanks! Would rather see Farrell,Kelly,Manu or Farrell,Kelly,Slade
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

For all foolishness I'd still look at having Joe Marler around the squad, he is still a formidable player, he just needs a wet nurse to look after him.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So could be looking at a BR of Lawes, Curry,Dombrant with Earl and Simmonds on the bench. Although that would mean one of Chessum or Hill missing out on the 23. Be interesting to see what way Borths go's but if it was me I'd go Earl on the bench with one of Chessum or Hill and Simmonds misses out.
4. Itoje
5. Hill/Chessum
6. Lawes
7. Curry
8. Dombrandt
19. Chessum/Hill
20. Earl

If its Chessum and Earl that's 4,5,6,7,8 covered from the bench then
Last edited by Scott1 on Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer