Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:51 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:38 pm STARTING XV
15. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 19 caps)
14. Max Malins (Saracens, 16 caps)
13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 53 caps)
12. Ollie Lawrence (Bath Rugby, 9 caps)
11. Anthony Watson (Leicester Tigers, 52 caps)
10. Owen Farrell (Saracens, 103 caps) (C)
9. Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester Tigers, 9 caps)

1. Ellis Genge (Bristol Bears, 45 caps) (VC)
2. Jamie George (Saracens, 74 caps)
3. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 58 caps)
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 64 caps)
5. Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers, 7 caps)
6. Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 16 caps)
7. Jack Willis (Toulouse, 7 caps)
8. Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins, 11 caps)

REPLACEMENTS
16. Jack Walker (Harlequins, 1 cap)
17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 76 caps)
18. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 97 caps)
19. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 96 caps) (VC)
20. Ben Curry (Sale Sharks, 2 caps)
21. Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, 2 caps)
22. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 19 caps)
23. Henry Arundell (London Irish, 4 caps)

I would've had Earl over Curry,don't get that call if he is fit.
Borthwick is trying to test different players like he did with us in the Covid season, he wants a full world cup squad of test match players not just a 23 of them.
Willis,Tom,Underhill,Earl,Ludlam (if you played Lawes at 6) are all way ahead of Ben and I've probably missed someone. It's still about winning games too. Ben doesn't even make the RWC squad bar significant injuries
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:08 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:38 pm STARTING XV
15. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 19 caps)
14. Max Malins (Saracens, 16 caps)
13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 53 caps)
12. Ollie Lawrence (Bath Rugby, 9 caps)
11. Anthony Watson (Leicester Tigers, 52 caps)
10. Owen Farrell (Saracens, 103 caps) (C)
9. Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester Tigers, 9 caps)

1. Ellis Genge (Bristol Bears, 45 caps) (VC)
2. Jamie George (Saracens, 74 caps)
3. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 58 caps)
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 64 caps)
5. Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers, 7 caps)
6. Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 16 caps)
7. Jack Willis (Toulouse, 7 caps)
8. Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins, 11 caps)

REPLACEMENTS
16. Jack Walker (Harlequins, 1 cap)
17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 76 caps)
18. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 97 caps)
19. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 96 caps) (VC)
20. Ben Curry (Sale Sharks, 2 caps)
21. Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, 2 caps)
22. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 19 caps)
23. Henry Arundell (London Irish, 4 caps)

I would've had Earl over Curry,don't get that call if he is fit.
Borthwick is trying to test different players like he did with us in the Covid season, he wants a full world cup squad of test match players not just a 23 of them.
Willis,Tom,Underhill,Earl,Ludlam (if you played Lawes at 6) are all way ahead of Ben and I've probably missed someone. It's still about winning games too. Ben doesn't even make the RWC squad bar significant injuries
Bar significant injuries which is more than likely. Willis has had his problems and Underhill is seemingly never fit. So you can’t blame SB for wanting to test the backrow depth.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

When’s was Lawes last competitive game?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:17 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:08 pm

Bar significant injuries which is more than likely. Willis has had his problems and Underhill is seemingly never fit. So you can’t blame SB for wanting to test the backrow depth.
True,but then there’s still his brother,Earl and Ludlam ahead of him. I’d take LI Pearson too ahead of him too. Well stocked though fortunately
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

baz1664 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:30 pm When’s was Lawes last competitive game?
La Rochelle when he came off early
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:57 pm
baz1664 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:30 pm When’s was Lawes last competitive game?
La Rochelle when he came off early
Aye. 30 minutes against La Rochelle in R4 of the ERCC. His comeback after injury was 30 mins or so in R1, then he played about 60 in R3. Before that his only other appearance of the season was starting and getting injured the defeat v Tigers in September.

I expect that the plan (unless either get injured) will be for Itoje and Chessum to play the full 80 minutes, with Lawes probably replacing Dombrant (with Ludlam dropping back to number 8) after 50-60 minutes.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I agree HC. Just very surprised Earl has been left out of the 23. He can cover the whole back row and would make more of an impact off the bench than Ben Curry.

The backs look good, all of the back 3 are used to playing full back, and are experienced, so they will not be phased by the Welsh kicking game and the crowd.

Just hope we don't kick so much ball away in their half!! To be fair if one or two of Farrell's grubbers had come off last week, he would have been lauded, but there's no need to keep doing it when we have a good chance of scoring without such a high risk strategy.

Watching Mkt Harb away at Kettering at 2.15 then rushing home to watch the international. Should be a good afternoon of rugby!!
Soggypitch
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Soggypitch wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:11 am I agree HC. Just very surprised Earl has been left out of the 23. He can cover the whole back row and would make more of an impact off the bench than Ben Curry.
More impact in attack. I think B Curry is on the bench because England tend to flag towards the end of games and Borthwick wants someone there to be a pest and slow the breakdown speed. Ben Curry is a very good pest for Sale. With Lawes also likely to come onto the backrow the added mobility in defence is a good idea, the lost physicality ball in hand is made up with Lawes being there. Lawes should offer more in defence and attack than Isiekwe managed.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:19 am
Soggypitch wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:11 am I agree HC. Just very surprised Earl has been left out of the 23. He can cover the whole back row and would make more of an impact off the bench than Ben Curry.
More impact in attack. I think B Curry is on the bench because England tend to flag towards the end of games and Borthwick wants someone there to be a pest and slow the breakdown speed. Ben Curry is a very good pest for Sale. With Lawes also likely to come onto the backrow the added mobility in defence is a good idea, the lost physicality ball in hand is made up with Lawes being there. Lawes should offer more in defence and attack than Isiekwe managed.
Earl is very good at the breakdown too don’t forget
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The boot is on the other foot

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

How quickly the boot is on the other foot - Borthwick now lobbying to be able to pick English players overseas.

Whilst it'd be great for the players, who could earn far more in France or Japan, it'd be disastrous for Premiership Rugby. All the clubs have agreed that the league's commercial model needs to grow significantly over the coming years for them to survive, and losing your biggest names would not help that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64749350
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I think those who were calling out boring ,boring England the other week might want to switch off for this one. I expect more of the same,and rightly so! We’ve all been watching the game long enough now to know that if you win the collision/gainline and set piece then 9/10 you win the game. I can’t guarantee but I believe ,and I bet so does Borths,that if he approached the Scotland game as he did the Italy game we probably would’ve won it. It’s no good flashes of attacking brilliance if you can’t get the basics right! Borths will build from the bottom up,like he did with us,and that’s the right way to do it. So expect lots of mauling,kicking,trucking it up in MF,trying to get scrum dominance and a suffocating,quick off the line ,aggressive smothering defence. The rest will come
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:34 am
He's good but the Curry twins and Willis are all much better. Earl is nearly up there with T Curry in regards to all round game but B Curry and Willis are both better defensively. Horses for courses selection
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:14 am
Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:34 am

He's good but the Curry twins and Willis are all much better. Earl is nearly up there with T Curry in regards to all round game but B Curry and Willis are both better defensively. Horses for courses selection
Much better? Really?! Not for me,crazy statement imo and from an official Earl and Sarries hater too lol. He's better than Tom all round imo, carries better, as good at the breakdown and links play far better. He would have been a far better option coming off the bench than Tom who imo is a starter or nothing.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Scott I'm assuming you've had a brain fart and mean Ben C not Tom C?!

There's no way that Earl is a better all round player than Tom C when fully fit.
Soggypitch
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Soggypitch wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:46 am Scott I'm assuming you've had a brain fart and mean Ben C not Tom C?!

There's no way that Earl is a better all round player than Tom C when fully fit.
Yes,got the twindaloos mixed up! My mistake