England squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerCam wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:27 am Manu out.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64495208
Rumoured - as has been for the last 48 hrs or so. Confirmed at 2:45 this afternoon.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'd rather see Lawrence (than Manu or Marchant at 13).

Marchant lacks power for me at the top level and the time has come to move on not stick to the ones who haven't quite made it.

I wonder if we see a Marchant/Lawrence centre partnering rather than continuing the midfield block which is playing Farrell out of position, even if the centres have been dropping like flies.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

mol2 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:24 am I'd rather see Lawrence (than Manu or Marchant at 13).

Marchant lacks power for me at the top level and the time has come to move on not stick to the ones who haven't quite made it.

I wonder if we see a Marchant/Lawrence centre partnering rather than continuing the midfield block which is playing Farrell out of position, even if the centres have been dropping like flies.
Agree. I think Marchant's best rugby is often on the wing too. And there are better wingers available.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Unfortunately that probably means we get Owen F at inside centre, I would prefer him at 10 with Marcus coming on as a finisher
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:31 am
Unfortunately that probably means we get Owen F at inside centre, I would prefer him at 10 with Marcus coming on as a finisher
I think ultimately this will be either default Plan A or B. Overall I suspect Borthwick's selection philosophy for the RWC will be very similar to that shown by EJ, and even if Smith/Faz isn't Plan A, it could well end up being the default Plan B.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:34 am
I think ultimately this will be either default Plan A or B. Overall I suspect Borthwick's selection philosophy for the RWC will be very similar to that shown by EJ, and even if Smith/Faz isn't Plan A, it could well end up being the default Plan B.
I can see it as being a solid plan B. Not sure how much can be drawn from this team selection with so many centre options injured. I was feeling confident that Dan Kelly would have started at 12.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

GB72 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:53 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:34 am

I can see it as being a solid plan B. Not sure how much can be drawn from this team selection with so many centre options injured. I was feeling confident that Dan Kelly would have started at 12.
Same. I think Faz/Kelly was plan A.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

mol2 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:24 am I'd rather see Lawrence (than Manu or Marchant at 13).
Agreed he’s been on fire this season for Bath and looked sharp in the England training videos.

Kelly and Lawrence are the future centre partnership in my opinion.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

England starting XV: F Steward; M Malins, J Marchant, O Farrell (c), O Hassell-Collins; M Smith, J van Poortvliet; E Genge, J George, K Sinckler, M Itoje, O Chessum, L Ludlam, B Curry, A Dombrandt.

Replacements: J Walker, M Vunipola, D Cole, N Isiekwe, B Earl, B Youngs, O Lawrence, A Watson.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Very strong bench! Go Dan!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Given the number of injuries at centre, that is a sensible selection with good options off the bench. Hopefully Kelly is not out for long and we see him later in the tournament at 12.

Personally I would have started Cole to try and get some scrum dominance and then brought on Sinkler to make the most of his running later on.

Still, the most important thing is the game plan and how well drilled the players are as we have never been short of talent, we have just lacked the direction to do anything with it
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Steward JVP and Chessum starting, Cole Youngs and Watson on the bench. Not a bad contribution :smt038
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Same old same old with the exception of Hassell-Collins, just have to see if SB can work something different to EJ. Thought Earl would have had the 7 spot and again the Farrell/Smith axis is destined to fail!! Great to see Chessum starting, hopefully he can’t start a continued partnership with Maro, SB we trust I guess!!!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Come on Ireland!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Picking players on form is a great idea, playing them out of position has the hand of the RFU all over it, is this really Borth's selection?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.