England squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:46 am Don’t get the obsession with Daly.
Doesn’t tackle which means he is a liability in the centres and many tests (mainly wing/FB) are enough to show he has had enough opportunity to tackle like a test player. Makes a Varndell look like Courtney Laws.

Like a prop who can’t scrum. There again we keep picking one of those too.
For all the flash stuff you need to do the fundamentals or you are a liability in a tight game.
Spot on,Goode was the same. Fantastic club player but lacked the physicality and defence for International games and was bullied in the air. But could you imagine a Mike Brown with Goodes skill set?! We would probably be talking about an all time great!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:00 pm
Doesn’t tackle which means he is a liability in the centres and many tests (mainly wing/FB) are enough to show he has had enough opportunity to tackle like a test player. Makes a Varndell look like Courtney Laws.

For all the flash stuff you need to do the fundamentals or you are a liability in a tight game.
Spot on,Goode was the same. Fantastic club player but lacked the physicality and defence for International games and was bullied in the air. But could you imagine a Mike Brown with Goodes skill set?! We would probably be talking about an all time great!
What like Steward.
A2O
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The only possible position for Daly at International level should be the 23 shirt.

As for Maku....Can't Scrum, Won't Scrum....would have fitted in at Dayglo's Wasps.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:55 pm

What like Steward.
:smt002
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If Lawes is out, Chessum at 6? Or Isiekwe?
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:03 pm If Lawes is out, Chessum at 6? Or Isiekwe?
I’d vote Chessum, and who to call up: Ribbans or Ted Hill?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:42 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:03 pm If Lawes is out, Chessum at 6? Or Isiekwe?
I’d vote Chessum, and who to call up: Ribbans or Ted Hill?
I'd call up Hill, but could well be Tom Curry
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:44 pm I'd call up Hill, but could well be Tom Curry
Just because Lawes played “7” last week!

6. Chessum
7. J Willis
8. Dombrandt

20. Earl

Looks pretty handy in the lineout, carry, and jackal.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Thought you were referring to our former fly half for a moment!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Posted this on the Saints match thread but with Lawes out injured it will be interesting to see who Borthwick calls up.

2nd Rows in squad
J.Hill

2nd Rows who cover Back Row
Chessum
Isiekwe
Itoje

Back Rows who cover 2nd Row
Lawes - NOW INJURED

Back Rows
B. Curry
Dombrandt
Earl
Ludlam
Simmonds
J. Willis

So key options as I see it:

T.Curry
Pearson
Ribbans
T.Hill

Longer shots
Martin (if fit)
Underhill

So if he was fit and match sharp I'd say Martin as he's (currently) a like for like 6 that covers 2nd row. As it is I'm not sure any of the remaing options cover 2nd row? So if I look at the numbers I'd be tempted to give Ribbans the nod as we're tighter on numbers in the 2nd row than the back row IMO
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Courtney Lawes (Saints) and George McGuigan (Gloucester) have withdrawn from the squad due to injury - Tom Dunn (Bath) and David Ribbans (Saints) called up to the squad.

No Ribbans for the Derby this weekend.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:07 am Courtney Lawes (Saints) and George McGuigan (Gloucester) have withdrawn from the squad due to injury - Tom Dunn (Bath) and David Ribbans (Saints) called up to the squad.

Boooom!! Right calls and good news for us
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:38 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:07 am Courtney Lawes (Saints) and George McGuigan (Gloucester) have withdrawn from the squad due to injury - Tom Dunn (Bath) and David Ribbans (Saints) called up to the squad.

Boooom!! Right calls and good news for us
I am rather surprised that Harry Thacker did not get a call to replace ex Tiger George McGuigan with the England squad given his recent try scoring and lose play ~ the Dump truck!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not surprised at all Thacker isn’t big enough for the grunt work in the scrum.

Like Titterall and Mears, the flash stuff in the loose is all well and good but that sort of space isn’t there at international level. That’s the role of the wing forwards and the backs.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:03 pm The only possible position for Daly at International level should be the 23 shirt.
And that then depends on who is in the 11 and 14 shirt, as if it's an Arundell or Freeman type, then a Guy Porter gives you better bench versatility.