England squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad

Post by Big Dai »

Lacking Slade and Daly's boot as a second kicker it has to be Smith & Faz, doesn't it?

I'd go for Lawrence over Manu as the basher. Either way it's those two as the other centre. One starts the other bench.

Watson also on the bench to cover wing and FB

Coat being fetched
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

Porter and Heyes released
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tigris wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:09 pm Porter and Heyes released
And Jack Willis too, who I thought was a shoo-in at 7.
Semper in excretia
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

Yes, surprised - he's looked great
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hill out too,looks like Chessum to partner Itoje then with maybe Isiekwe at 6. Ribbans is in the mix too
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

The daft thing is I have the feeling this team will be easier to predict than a Borthers Tigers team.... we will see! 7 and centres will be the most interesting. Part of me wants Manu and Lawrence to start to give dominance early on and then bring on Smith with Faz to 12 to close it out. I will be surprised if Chessum isn't at 6. Just want a decent performance, and a win obviously!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:13 pm
Tigris wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:09 pm Porter and Heyes released
And Jack Willis too, who I thought was a shoo-in at 7.
Mentioned that he's only been able to train once or twice in his 3 days with the squad and it wasn't thought to be enough before the first game of a new regime; it would have been easier if EJ was in charge as you'd expect much to remain the same. Maybe shows why generally only England based players are selected.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

The press are saying B Curry at 7 and Ludlum at 6, with probably Dombrandt at 8.

Looks like Chessum has a good chance of starting at lock or covering 4, 5 and 6 off the bench.

Not much being predicted re the centre partnership though. Personally hope it's;
10 Faz
12 Manu
13 Marchant or Lawrence.

Cole a shoe in for his first cap since the WC Final!
Soggypitch
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Soggypitch wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:30 pm The press are saying B Curry at 7 and Ludlum at 6, with probably Dombrandt at 8.

Looks like Chessum has a good chance of starting at lock or covering 4, 5 and 6 off the bench.

Not much being predicted re the centre partnership though. Personally hope it's;
10 Faz
12 Manu
13 Marchant or Lawrence.

Backs predicted to be:

9 - JVP
10 - Smith
11 - Hassell-Collins
12 - Farrell
13 - Marchant
14 - Malins
15 - Steward

21 - Youngs
22 - Lawrence
23 - Watson

Tuilagi left out of the 23.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:39 pm
Soggypitch wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:30 pm The press are saying B Curry at 7 and Ludlum at 6, with probably Dombrandt at 8.

10 Faz
12 Manu
13 Marchant or Lawrence.

Backs predicted to be:

9 - JVP
10 - Smith
11 - Hassell-Collins
12 - Farrell
13 - Marchant
14 - Malins
15 - Steward

21 - Youngs
22 - Lawrence
23 - Watson

Just seen the Telegraph article on that. This is just me being a total conspiracy theorist but wonder if SB's experiences with Manu during the covid contract departure has influenced his attitude towards him as England coach. Seems a big step to not only leave him out of the team but also out of the squad, especially when you could argue that we are 3 centres down already due to injury. I know his form has been off recently but still a big move to drop him totally.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

GB72 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:19 pm

10 Faz
12 Manu
13 Marchant or Lawrence.

Backs predicted to be:

9 - JVP
10 - Smith
11 - Hassell-Collins
12 - Farrell
13 - Marchant
14 - Malins
15 - Steward

21 - Youngs
22 - Lawrence
23 - Watson

Just seen the Telegraph article on that. This is just me being a total conspiracy theorist but wonder if SB's experiences with Manu during the covid contract departure has influenced his attitude towards him as England coach. Seems a big step to not only leave him out of the team but also out of the squad, especially when you could argue that we are 3 centres down already due to injury. I know his form has been off recently but still a big move to drop him totally.
A big move. Especially as Borthwick had Nadolo as his big ball carrier with Tigers last season and Evans has Esterhuizen at Quins…

I guess Lawrence will be the longer term big ball carrier and they will use the likes of Steward and OHC to be the bigger carriers in the backs.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

RunTigerRun wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:25 pm

Backs predicted to be:

9 - JVP
10 - Smith
11 - Hassell-Collins
12 - Farrell
13 - Marchant
14 - Malins
15 - Steward

21 - Youngs
22 - Lawrence
23 - Watson

A big move. Especially as Borthwick had Nadolo as his big ball carrier with Tigers last season and Evans has Esterhuizen at Quins…

I guess Lawrence will be the longer term big ball carrier and they will use the likes of Steward and OHC to be the bigger carriers in the backs.
Probably the first that, when fit, Tuilagi has been left out? TBF it makes you wonder about his attitude, and we know what Borthwick thinks about poor attitude!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

fentiger wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:52 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:25 pm

Probably the first that, when fit, Tuilagi has been left out? TBF it makes you wonder about his attitude, and we know what Borthwick thinks about poor attitude!
That was part of my thinking. SB wants commitment to the team and Manu, it could be argued, showed it was Manu first, team second and that may not have gone down too well. We will see when SB gets to pick a full squad rather then only make some changes to the already selected Elite squad he has at the moment.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Manus USP has always been to be a human wrecking ball. Tremendously strong and committed in play. Unfortunately, it led to several injuries, so Sale slimmed him down to increase his availability, but lost his USP in the process.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat