Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad

Post by Scott1 »

markharbtiger wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:40 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:34 pm The fact that it was used by some for the Saints defeat where we had enough in our squad to win that game!
Not by me. But mate - it probably didn't help!
It didn't,but Saints were missing 5 starters to internationals,2 to suspension and 1 to injury so it evened itself out.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Worrying thing is, it is potentially going to get worse. You have SA trying to get in on the 6 Nations, you have Tier 2 Nations knocking on the door etc and you cannot see any of the current teams agreeing on relegation out of the main tournament. That then leaves the potential for 2 or more matches to be added to the current schedule and, depending on rest weeks, another 2-4 weeks added to the tournament.

Can see similar happening it Autumn. Tier 2 Nations are pushing for matches but you cannot see the home nations giving up a guaranteed sell out against the southern hemisphere teams and so what to you do, have more matches.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

As Sarries have proved that you can have the strongest squad in the premiership lose a stack of players to internationals yet still win. This proves just how important the quality of coaching truly is
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

markharbtiger wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:13 pm The reaction "we can't change as it will lead to a loss of revenue and/or we're used to doing it at the current timing" is why nothing ever changes! Priming audiences etc is REALLY not much of a constraint! Out of the box thinking needed here!
I think I get where you are coming from but I am struggling to get what "out of the box" thinking could be utilised here.

If you move the 6N to the end of the season all unions would have to agree. And the question the unions will be asking themselves how does this help us. Does it solve one problem and cause a whole load of others. And if you move the 6N out of the season you would need to do the AI's also.

Maybe if they went with the 2 x 10 team divisions with a proper A league competition that would mean the 9 home games would be proper Premier fixtures with everyone in and the A league would still be good players and well attended - if arguably a bit meaningless.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

ourla wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:29 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:13 pm The reaction "we can't change as it will lead to a loss of revenue and/or we're used to doing it at the current timing" is why nothing ever changes! Priming audiences etc is REALLY not much of a constraint! Out of the box thinking needed here!
I think I get where you are coming from but I am struggling to get what "out of the box" thinking could be utilised here.

If you move the 6N to the end of the season all unions would have to agree. And the question the unions will be asking themselves how does this help us. Does it solve one problem and cause a whole load of others. And if you move the 6N out of the season you would need to do the AI's also.

Maybe if they went with the 2 x 10 team divisions with a proper A league competition that would mean the 9 home games would be proper Premier fixtures with everyone in and the A league would still be good players and well attended - if arguably a bit meaningless.
I have to agree that I cannot see where ther is wiggle room in an already packed calendar. Football, to some extent, can find season as the teams can play Sunday, Wednesday, Sunday and so european matches are mid week. Rugby cannot do that. They also do not go on international tours or have defined, exteded international breaks in the season, it is a week of internationals, 2 or 3 matches played and then back to the league.

Now, that could be one bit of blue sky thinking (though it will never happen) is that the 6 Nations is spread out over the season and so there is an international weekend each month. That could help but would mean the end of the Autumn Internationals.

The idea of moving the whole thing to the end of the season would work in practice but would mean the end of Summer Tours. No bad thing in my eyes but if we do not go to them, they are not going to come here in Autumn or if they do, they will want half of the gate money. Again, all unlikely.

Biggest change, you bring about the global calendar, rugby becomes a summer sport and you have fixed, global international breaks at the beginning and end of the season. Perhaps you run the 6 Nations post season and have a Northern/Southern hemisphere tournament pre season to fill the offers of all involved. Could work but needs a global calendar.

Sadly, nothing works without big change and the RFU are perfectly happy with their current system of little risk, full Twickenham (except fo the Itally game this year if the constant ads for tickets are anything to go by) and the recently announced £15 million plus operating profit. They have no need to change.

Anyone got any other ideas as I am running out.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Kelly now injured and Porter called in as replacement, thanks Steve....
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:04 pm Kelly now injured and Porter called in as replacement, thanks Steve....
.........we'll all be playing next! How many will be left standing for Sarries?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:04 pm Kelly now injured and Porter called in as replacement, thanks Steve....
I’m under the stairs looking for my boots before giving RW a call….:censored:..
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

daktari wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:19 pm

Struth this is seriously way beyond a joke
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:22 pm
daktari wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:19 pm

Struth this is seriously way beyond a joke
Surly there has to be a limit on how many one club can sacrifice?
I know that legally there isn’t but this is getting silly the amount of players we are giving away to England.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

SB shafting the Tigers massively!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

baz1664 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:31 pm SB shafting the Tigers massively!!
Our club is still paying to big a price to release Borthwick.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Thanks Mr. Borthwick: build us up only to knock us down!How the hell can any club cope with this disruption: reminds me of 2003 and it took ages to recover. I remember going up to Newcastle having not won a league game: we got a couple of players back from Nottingham and sneaked a win.
I honestly cannot see us winning another game during the Six Nations unless we get some players back.
Feel so sorry for Wigglesworth.
Please don’t blame him: blame the system!!
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

So far, I haven't seen any suggestions for "change" on here that could be described as "win-win" Change will only happen if all the stakeholders agree to it (turkeys ain't going to vote for Xmas) or a supreme power imposes it. I doubt the IRB/WR has such power. The RFU and Premiership clubs certainly don't. Change won't happen without give and take on all sides. Demanding others change for your benefit isn't likely to be successful.

Perhaps the BOFs/RFU are playing the long game and waiting for more clubs' sugar daddies to pull out and let their clubs go under. If so, it'll be back to shamateur clubs but with professional central contracts for the elite.

Some seem to be suggesting that the Premiership clubs should either keep their talent to themselves or to be compensated more for providing talent for England. I would ask in turn, "where do the Premiership clubs get their talent from?" It's from schools, amateur clubs etc (or from other professonal outfits), all of which are affiliated in some way to the RFU. If pushed, they may sde with the RFU.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:50 pm Thanks Mr. Borthwick: build us up only to knock us down!How the hell can any club cope with this disruption: reminds me of 2003 and it took ages to recover. I remember going up to Newcastle having not won a league game: we got a couple of players back from Nottingham and sneaked a win.
I honestly cannot see us winning another game during the Six Nations unless we get some players back.
Feel so sorry for Wigglesworth.
Please don’t blame him: blame the system!!
We had enough out there to beat Saints (and in other games) so yes I am blaming WW for that dross!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer