England squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad

Post by LE18 »

Are they really going to turn down their match fees? Cant see it.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:35 pm Are they really going to turn down their match fees? Cant see it.
If i read correctly, the meeting tomorrow is for all professional players and not just the current national squad and so I guess any vote for action to be taken will be from a wider pool of players. That said, if I was an in the national squad, I would not be too happy if I faced legal action as a result of such a vote stopping me playing.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

GB72 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:42 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:35 pm Are they really going to turn down their match fees? Cant see it.
If i read correctly, the meeting tomorrow is for all professional players and not just the current national squad and so I guess any vote for action to be taken will be from a wider pool of players. That said, if I was an in the national squad, I would not be too happy if I faced legal action as a result of such a vote stopping me playing.
But it effects the top players too,there are some horror stories from current internationals. And how can the WRU take legal action against every player? Impossible!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

England squad

Forwards: Chessum, Cole, B Curry, Dombrandt, Genge, George, Isiekwe, Itoje, Lawes, Ludlam, Sinckler, M Vunipola, Walker, Willis.

Backs: Arundell, Farrell, Lawrence, Malins, Marchant, Mitchell, Murley, Slade, Smith, Steward, Van Poortvliet, Watson.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No Ben Earl or Ben Youngs.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Then again, when you see the way they treat players like Jonah Holmes you can see why, thinking in the long term, they might.

And how they might have destroyed Sam Costelow’s career too.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:33 pm No Ben Earl or Ben Youngs.
Earl and Tom Curry injured. Ben Curry recalled.

Youngs I think either starts or is out of the 23. Mitchell needs the experience if Borthwick is putting the eggs in his basket.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:35 pm

Youngs I think either starts or is out of the 23. Mitchell needs the experience if Borthwick is putting the eggs in his basket.
Youngs isn't good enough any more but I'd still take him to the WC. Makes sense about Earl. I guess we will see Lawes and Isiekwe on the bench. Or maybe Ludlam who can cover 6,7,8
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can't see anything about an Earl injury,BBC and Rugby pass just say left out ,anyone have a link please?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Sky Sports say dropped too,if Earls been left out its a poor decision for me! I'll keep searching
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I can only think that Borths is gonna ask Lawes to empty the tank at 6 and Ludlam and Earl doesn't work on the bench and he's chosen Ludlam over Earl with Isiekwe being lock cover. Makes sense that way I guess

Genge
George
Sinckler
Chessum
Itoje
Lawes
Willis
Dombrandt
JVP
Farrell
Watson
Lawrence
Slade
Malins
Steward

Mako,Dunn,Cole,Isiekwe,Ludlam,Mitchell,Smith, Arundell

Not far off that I reckon
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:48 pm Can't see anything about an Earl injury,BBC and Rugby pass just say left out ,anyone have a link please?
I think the Earl injury was from a response to England's social media post where they revealed Curry's knock. It seems it was incorrect and Earls is in effect making way for Lawes.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:37 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:35 pm

Youngs isn't good enough any more but I'd still take him to the WC.
I think that's exactly the plan. JVP starts but Youngs would be the third 9 to replace him if injured or rotate depending on the opposition.
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:11 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:48 pm Can't see anything about an Earl injury,BBC and Rugby pass just say left out ,anyone have a link please?
I think the Earl injury was from a response to England's social media post where they revealed Curry's knock. It seems it was incorrect and Earls is in effect making way for Lawes.
Thanks!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

George Ford didn't make it then. An interview in the Times shows he's very keen to re-establish himself in the national team.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina