England squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad

Post by sapajo »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:50 pm Thanks Mr. Borthwick: build us up only to knock us down!How the hell can any club cope with this disruption: reminds me of 2003 and it took ages to recover. I remember going up to Newcastle having not won a league game: we got a couple of players back from Nottingham and sneaked a win.
I honestly cannot see us winning another game during the Six Nations unless we get some players back.
Feel so sorry for Wigglesworth.
Please don’t blame him: blame the system!!
As I have said before WW inherited a championship winning squad. Just because its the six nations does not mean he is no longer responsible for the game plan on the pitch
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:25 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:50 pm Thanks Mr. Borthwick: build us up only to knock us down!How the hell can any club cope with this disruption: reminds me of 2003 and it took ages to recover. I remember going up to Newcastle having not won a league game: we got a couple of players back from Nottingham and sneaked a win.
I honestly cannot see us winning another game during the Six Nations unless we get some players back.
As I have said before WW inherited a championship winning squad. Just because its the six nations does not mean he is no longer responsible for the game plan on the pitch
Exactly,can’t get a free pass because players are missing. We’ve got a fantastic squad and have had more than enough to win some of the games we’ve lost.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

SB didn’t think twice about leaving us and won’t think twice about taking all our eligible players. Unless the league changes and we don’t play when internationals are on, AND during the England players rest weeks, we can compete. We will have to dump a load of EQP and in favour of non English players than can actually play for us. Ultimately the RFU will kill the golden goose unless they adapt, unlikely while Sweeney remains.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:26 pm [quote=sapajo post_id=845079 time=<a href="tel:1675103128">1675103128</a> user_id=9379]
[quote="Ian Cant" post_id=845061 time=<a href="tel:1675101018">1675101018</a> user_id=1690]
Thanks Mr. Borthwick: build us up only to knock us down!How the hell can any club cope with this disruption: reminds me of 2003 and it took ages to recover. I remember going up to Newcastle having not won a league game: we got a couple of players back from Nottingham and sneaked a win.
[/quote]
Exactly,can’t get a free pass because players are missing. We’ve got a fantastic squad and have had more than enough to win some of the games we’ve lost.
[/quote]

Very true, even now without Watson and Porter we still have a very good set of players who should be winning games!!

We still have one of the best hookers, numbers 8’s in the world shirting up followed by a World Cup winning 10, as for the rest of the squad we have enough to keep in the mix, it’s all about tactics and mentality, which seems to have gone awol since SB and KS have departed!!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

baz1664 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:39 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:26 pm [quote=sapajo post_id=845079 time=<a href="tel:1675103128">1675103128</a> user_id=9379]
[quote="Ian Cant" post_id=845061 time=<a href="tel:1675101018">1675101018</a> user_id=1690]
Thanks Mr. Borthwick: build us up only to knock us down!How the hell can any club cope with this disruption: reminds me of 2003 and it took ages to recover. I remember going up to Newcastle having not won a league game: we got a couple of players back from Nottingham and sneaked a win.
[/quote]

Very true, even now without Watson and Porter we still have a very good set of players who should be winning games!!

We still have one of the best hookers, numbers 8’s in the world shirting up followed by a World Cup winning 10, as for the rest of the squad we have enough to keep in the mix, it’s all about tactics and mentality, which seems to have gone awol since SB and KS have departed!!
[/quote]

To be fair they were awol most of the season including when SB and KS were still here it is not an entirely recent development, although personally I feel it is more that the style we played last season and have tried to continue with this season has aged badly and we have also regressed in how we execute it. So the tactics are there, they just aren't particularly effective anymore, but I do agree that the mentality has dipped massively for whatever reasons.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

1. It's 3 weeks till we play again. England play on Saturday. We don't have any idea when players are out till, good chance if either of Kelly or Slade is fit in 3 weeks we get Porter back.
2. It's a bye week in the 6N we next play on so players will be released if they haven't had gametime.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There should be a break in the league for the 6N. No rest weeks.
Likewise the AIs. 3 games only on consecutive weeks. No League games in that period.

Greater share of revenue to sides with 4 or more players in the squad (includes those released because of injury). This will act as an incentive to produce England players or at least not benefit those that fill their squad with non-internationals or foreign players.

Ditch the low value cup.
Consider ditching Europe unless the money is compelling enough to justify playing in a competition that there is no longer a realistic chance of winning against the regional sides. Talking to others, many are not going to the Edinburgh match. Partly because it’s not on the season ticket and partly because, even if we win there is no realistic possibility of putting a squad with a chance with the salary cap constraints.
Yes we have a lot of players in the squad but under normal circumstances not too many in the starting line up.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Those who blame Wigglesworth have forgotten the poor performances under Steve Borthwick up to and including the Bristol draw.
I just think it’s unfair to judge a coach who inherited a side that was underperforming apart from Saints and Quins away.
We did superbly well to win the Final last year but this season teams have found us out.
For me on Saturday there were, if everyone is realistic, mitigating circumstances.
1) 3-4 good props missing
2) both scrum halves missing
3) Word Class fly half injured after 45 minutes then Burns injured with 12 minutes to go.
4) Credit to Saints: they played on the edge, defended well and targeted our under strength positions.
Then look at the league: below Saracens and Sale: so competitive.
Finally: those who moan about Wigglesworth I ask:
Who else would we get mid season?
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Calling all Season Ticket holders!

Watson and now Porter called up with Kelly injured. Tigers are in desperate need of players so it’s time for us season ticket holders to backfill the squad. I used to be a half decent Sunday morning league full back but could have a go at centre - though in the centre I’m more a L and M than a 12 and 13 :smt023 I know it’s been 25 years since I last played but needs must and all that. I think my boots are at the back of the loft behind my treasured possession - a Chris Ashton tooth given to me by Manu. As for tackle height I can happily bend down at the waist, it’ll be the bending back up that I’ll struggle with. And I’ll even get myself to A&E, though I’d be grateful if someone could help me across the road. Only downside is that being English in a Tigers shirt I may get called up by Borths.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:07 pm Calling all Season Ticket holders!

Watson and now Porter called up with Kelly injured. Tigers are in desperate need of players so it’s time for us season ticket holders to backfill the squad. I used to be a half decent Sunday morning league full back but could have a go at centre - though in the centre I’m more a L and M than a 12 and 13 :smt023 I know it’s been 25 years since I last played but needs must and all that. I think my boots are at the back of the loft behind my treasured possession - a Chris Ashton tooth given to me by Manu. As for tackle height I can happily bend down at the waist, it’ll be the bending back up that I’ll struggle with. And I’ll even get myself to A&E, though I’d be grateful if someone could help me across the road. Only downside is that being English in a Tigers shirt I may get called up by Borths.
Some much needed humour! I'll happily buy you a pint before you get carted off to the hospital :smt023
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:04 pm Kelly now injured and Porter called in as replacement, thanks Steve....
What's happened to Dan? That is a blow for both England and us
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:56 am
kpj tiger wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:04 pm Kelly now injured and Porter called in as replacement, thanks Steve....
Thigh injury I hear!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

fentiger wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:41 am
Chobbsy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:56 am
Thigh injury I hear!
Did Jones injury him in training, oh wait a minute.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Oh no! Whispers are it's Smith/Farrell!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:35 pm Oh no! Whispers are it's Smith/Farrell!
Maybe we'll get Borthwick back soon then? :smt044