Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Ospreys (H) - Friday 20th January 2023 - KO 20:00

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:52 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:51 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:41 am Somethings seriously wrong and we can’t keep blaming the departures of Ford and Genge. This is a title winning squad with experience. Why is it a complete 180 to last season with all these games being lost late on? What’s flipped that switch? Can’t be just bad luck and refs/TMO/Austin all the time!
Lets not overreact. We essentially virtually beat a Welsh side in a game that wasn't must win with some injuries and them going the full beans.

Let's look at our scrum going backwards at the end there.

We had our 3rd choice Tighthead (think Hurd is now above Leatigaga as a TH?) and our 5th choice Loosehead on the park. No disrespect to them but they were always going to struggle.

An unlucky intercept kept them in it and some inexplicable calls, like how was that not held up over the line amd a dropout to us on like 78min?!?
It’s not just last nights game TFS,that’s my point. And what Ben Youngs did was criminal!
I get that but I don't think we're playing as badly as some make out.

We've had a chunk of injuries in key positions.

Our success means more call ups.

We're 2 points off 3rd, we have 6 home games left out of 8.

We won 3 out of 4 group games in Europe only losing against a mostly international side when we've had a ton of injuries.

Players make mistakes a good team build up their mates when they do that. Look at the prem final, Steward made some un-Stewardlike mistakes and we gathered round and picked him up
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Bobmac wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:57 am Agree with 90% of comments. Ospreys played the ref better than us plus we had enough territory and ball to win the game. Hopefully results go our way to get a home last 16 game. 2 areas of concern last night were the lineout and game management.
I think that the only way we can lose a home tie is on the outcome of the Toulouse - Munster match.
Munster need a minimum 5 pointer and a winning margin of more than 17 points.
Toulouse would only need a Tbp and lose by 25 points or less.
Unlikely to happen as Toulouse are at home and will be looking to finish top two in the group.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Only saw the second half, but I read that Tigers’ lineout was dominated by Beard and AWJ in the first half. Was that down to Clare, lifting, or what? Disappointing, as Chessum is a proven test player and Henderson is in the verge of his first cap. For the last minute try, the ref (who was he?) must’ve been the only one to have seen the grounding of the ball under a mass of bodies! I’ll be in the Stade Ernest Wallon cheering on Toulouse to a bp win over Munster tomorrow afternoon and hope Tigers will get a home tie in the last 16.
Semper in excretia
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:17 am Only saw the second half, but I read that Tigers’ lineout was dominated by Beard and AWJ in the first half. Was that down to Clare, lifting, or what? Disappointing, as Chessum is a proven test player and Henderson is in the verge of his first cap. For the last minute try, the ref (who was he?) must’ve been the only one to have seen the grounding of the ball under a mass of bodies! I’ll be in the Stade Ernest Wallon cheering on Toulouse to a bp win over Munster tomorrow afternoon and hope Tigers will get a home tie in the last 16.
It looked like a couple of underthows in there, Clare has had a huge amount of rugby recently, think a few bench appearances may be what he needs
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Stormers host Clermont - Stormers lose, Tigers secure home 16 tie
Toulouse host Munster - permutations above
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

With the right coaching appointments we are in a decent position to progress, the longer it's an unknown the greater the effect.
Our Interim HC had been in charge of our "attack" for sometime, the progression of that was way behind the overall improvements under SB.
My guess is if we had lost the home game against Sarries last season (which we should have..another ref error) the outcome would have been very different come seasons end.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:24 am Image

Stormers host Clermont - Stormers lose, Tigers secure home 16 tie
Toulouse host Munster - permutations above
Don't think it is as cut and dried as you say TB - Stormers win - they go above us - we are in 2nd
If the above happens and La Rochelle win - they go above us - we are in 3rd
If Toulouse lose by less than 25 and get a bonus point, they go above us - we are in 4th
AND in the same game Munster win, get a bonus point and win by 18, they go above us and we are in 5th

Very very unlikely I grant you but possible
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Looks to me like 4th is the best bet of where we will finish.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Also - not watched the game back yet but from where I was sitting in the Crumbie - looking at the final few seconds on the screen - I could not see any grounding from the angles replayed time and time again - so it all depends on the question the ref asked - if he saw a grounding but was just checking for offences - TRY - if he was asking for confirmation about grounding - NO TRY for me. It doesn't matter anyway - we lost a game we should have won.

I am more worried about our set plays - I think we must have lost at least 4 lineouts and a scrum going backward at times is not good. I was a girly back so can't give an answer as to what is going wrong with our line out - poor throw - timing - poor lifting - opponents reading our intention - but it has not been good for most of this season even when SB was here but it does need sorting. I thought Tommy was immense yesterday and Andre has begun to show his real self so it is not all doom and gloom - looking now toward the Saints game.
Hehehehehehehehe
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:57 am Looks to me like 4th is the best bet of where we will finish.
Agreed
Hehehehehehehehe
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:03 am Also - not watched the game back yet but from where I was sitting in the Crumbie - looking at the final few seconds on the screen - I could not see any grounding from the angles replayed time and time again - so it all depends on the question the ref asked - if he saw a grounding but was just checking for offences - TRY - if he was asking for confirmation about grounding - NO TRY for me. It doesn't matter anyway - we lost a game we should have won.

I am more worried about our set plays - I think we must have lost at least 4 lineouts and a scrum going backward at times is not good. I was a girly back so can't give an answer as to what is going wrong with our line out - poor throw - timing - poor lifting - opponents reading our intention - but it has not been good for most of this season even when SB was here but it does need sorting. I thought Tommy was immense yesterday and Andre has begun to show his real self so it is not all doom and gloom - looking now toward the Saints game.
From another ex girly back, I completely agree with everything here.

We are often going for catch and drives in the corner when we are often just plainly second best in any mauls, and are just getting pushed backwards. We either need to drastically improve here, or change our tactics. We are often wasting try scoring opportunities, or the very least 3 points. With the place kicking abilities of Pollard, I think we currently should go for the 3 more often, at least until we can improve our lineout and drive.
YoWaGoWan
Tiger Cub

Post by YoWaGoWan »

Postiger2 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:03 pm Get the feeling Austin will be devastated if this isn't given. His commentary ruins games for me
I agree entirely,i've said before on here ME ME Healey is the worst "pundit" of any sport,he will not accept any decision but his own until proven wrong which in nearly all cases he is,sets a bad example to, as he says "any kids watching",his boring analysation of every play and imaginary scinarios are detrimental to any game he is involved with.His only interest is in making the whole experience about himself.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:03 amso it all depends on the question the ref asked - if he saw a grounding but was just checking for offences - TRY - if he was asking for confirmation about grounding - NO TRY for me. It doesn't matter anyway - we lost a game we should have won.
Quite sure the Ref told TMO there was no on field decision....which at best, IMO, means no try, at worst it is an abdication of his responsibility.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Bobmac wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:57 am Agree with 90% of comments. Ospreys played the ref better than us plus we had enough territory and ball to win the game. Hopefully results go our way to get a home last 16 game. 2 areas of concern last night were the lineout and game management.
I agree with Ospreys playing the ref, for those using the Ref Link radio I lost count of the number of times Ospreys asked questions of the ref "is it out sir?", "he's off his feet sir", and so on. I didn't hear similar from Tigers players.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:33 am
trendylfj wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:03 amso it all depends on the question the ref asked - if he saw a grounding but was just checking for offences - TRY - if he was asking for confirmation about grounding - NO TRY for me. It doesn't matter anyway - we lost a game we should have won.
Quite sure the Ref told TMO there was no on field decision....which at best, IMO, means no try, at worst it is an abdication of his responsibility.
Well who said that Karl Dickson was the worst Referee, and Joy Neville or Sara Cox were the worst TMO's
The FRENCH really are scraping the barrel with those Officials. Even Jodrell Bank would have difficulty seeing that ball down. Tigers missed an opportunity in not signing Owen Williams from Worcester but 92 minutes is a long cold match to suffer those decisions.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!