Tigers v Ospreys (H) - Friday 20th January 2023 - KO 20:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Ospreys (H) - Friday 20th January 2023 - KO 20:00

Post by Scott1 »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:58 am A very youthful Tigers pushed an extremely experienced side and lost by a point, our players will learn so much from nights like that, we are moving in the right direction, using our squad well.
I get the youthful bit but there’s was easily enough experience in that 15! Ok some are young but we are talking international players here. There always seems to be something
Last edited by Scott1 on Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The TMO is sat in the truck with headphones on which are linked to the officials…..within the truck the directors voice and the commentary is in the background. The TMO is not being directly fed from the commentary but can pick up the other sounds in the background second hand…..once a review has been initiated the only sounds within the truck are the conversations between the officials. This was clarified yesterday when I asked the questions.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:27 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:17 am For people worried about our scrum at the end there.

Loosehead
Whitcombe had done 75 min before really struggling at the end

Cronin our best Loosehead injured

West, just joined, he will join Whitcombe & Cronin as our primary Looseheads

Leatigaga wasn't there last night may be be as they are prepping him to focus on TH

Van Wyk, for all his detractors I think he is still a better prop than Richardson (who's developing)

Richardson not a bad prop and was just about holding up in most of the scrums, unlucky to get the yellow when all the other scrum pens had been the other side

Tighthead

Cole off for Hurd. Ok we weren't going forward and were under pressure against an international pack, but no scrum pens with him on the field

Heyes rested for a game that wasn't must win as we want to give minutes to Hurd in preparation of losing 2 TH's

Hurd has shown he's a 3rd choice but is still developing and was up against an international prop so no shame in him struggling. Cole could have gone longer and would have if it was must win but we put him on to get minutes he needed.

Leatigaga has more experience than Hurd at TH but LH is his strength, he is still a very good 4th choice prop.

Richardson there seems to have been a bit more focus on him also propping TH this season so gives us some depth there

Hoyt - has had some PRC appearances but is still developing, Richardson has certainly had more TH appearances than him.
One could argue the decision to rest Heyes and take off Cole early ultimately cost us the match
You can definitely argue that, but that decision may well help us get over the line in more important games going forward, so I wouldn't call it a mistake yet.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I can’t find anything on here that talks about TMO live feed etc,anyone else?

https://resources.world.rugby/worldrugb ... 022-v2.pdf
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:02 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:58 am A very youthful Tigers pushed an extremely experienced side and lost by a point, our players will learn so much from nights like that, we are moving in the right direction, using our squad well.
I get the youthful bit but there’s was easily enough experience in that 15! Ok some are young but we are talking international players here. There always seems to be something
We have been severely disrupted since winning the title and league last year, the loss of Borthwick and Sinfield along with Genge and Ford was bound to have an effect, add in Wiggs learning on the job, we are coming along nicely, patience both on the park and on the terraces is required. We are still in the hunt, nothing lost yet.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:29 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:02 pm
We have been severely disrupted since winning the title and league last year, the loss of Borthwick and Sinfield along with Genge and Ford was bound to have an effect, add in Wiggs learning on the job, we are coming along nicely, patience both on the park and on the terraces is required. We are still in the hunt, nothing lost yet.
I don’t believe we are coming along nicely at all,we have gone backwards at an alarming rate. 3 losses in the last 4,2 big ones and now the Clermont game just looks like it was a case of their pack being shocking like that game where we smashed Stade Francais at home. Very poor loss last night,and avoidable. Home fortress is a distant memory these days sadly!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:26 pm I can’t find anything on here that talks about TMO live feed etc,anyone else?

https://resources.world.rugby/worldrugb ... 022-v2.pdf
Might be worth while someone who does Tw#tter to ask Nigel?
Any TMO who is swayed by a commentator shouldn't be doing the job anyway...I still think them being in a truck limits what they see, everyone knows you get a better impression of the game when watching it in the ground.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:09 pm The TMO is sat in the truck with headphones on which are linked to the officials…..within the truck the directors voice and the commentary is in the background. The TMO is not being directly fed from the commentary but can pick up the other sounds in the background second hand…..once a review has been initiated the only sounds within the truck are the conversations between the officials. This was clarified yesterday when I asked the questions.
In my former employ I was an accident investigator. We were taught to look for patterns.
If the review is instigated prior to a certain ex Tiger scrum half opening the "Mersey Tunnel" then things may run without bias.

However

The pattern seems to be:- Healey

"I think they should look at that.......I really think someone should look at that........why are they not looking at that........it's at least a yellow......"

Then TMO.

"I'd like to draw your attention to the actions of....."

The TMO needs to be totally isolated from commentary and punditry.

I would also add that if BT sport could provide a similar service for me I would be eternally grateful.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Harley1850
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Harley1850 »

Having watched the game at the ground last night and then watched the highlights on BT sport today I still cannot for the life of me see how sir could possibly say that was a try at the end of the match
Think he just wanted the game over so that he could go home.
I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway, you're on the same wavelength as the referees.
Bge3095

Post by Bge3095 »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:12 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:09 pm The TMO is sat in the truck with headphones on which are linked to the officials…..within the truck the directors voice and the commentary is in the background. The TMO is not being directly fed from the commentary but can pick up the other sounds in the background second hand…..once a review has been initiated the only sounds within the truck are the conversations between the officials. This was clarified yesterday when I asked the questions.
In my former employ I was an accident investigator. We were taught to look for patterns.
If the review is instigated prior to a certain ex Tiger scrum half opening the "Mersey Tunnel" then things may run without bias.

However

The pattern seems to be:- Healey

"I think they should look at that.......I really think someone should look at that........why are they not looking at that........it's at least a yellow......"

Then TMO.

"I'd like to draw your attention to the actions of....."

The TMO needs to be totally isolated from commentary and punditry.

I would also add that if BT sport could provide a similar service for me I would be eternally grateful.
But sure it begs the question why are so many things HAVING to be brought to the attention of the TMO why is so much being missed?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:29 pm We have been severely disrupted since winning the title and league last year, the loss of Borthwick and Sinfield along with Genge and Ford was bound to have an effect, add in Wiggs learning on the job, we are coming along nicely, patience both on the park and on the terraces is required. We are still in the hunt, nothing lost yet.
Precisely, no blaming anyone involved last night at all! For what it's worth I firmly believe that some blame for the poor season thus far should rest at the feet of Borthwick and Sinfield for not moving our game forward in pre-season giving us more attacking options in particular.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

fentiger wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:35 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:29 pm We have been severely disrupted since winning the title and league last year, the loss of Borthwick and Sinfield along with Genge and Ford was bound to have an effect, add in Wiggs learning on the job, we are coming along nicely, patience both on the park and on the terraces is required. We are still in the hunt, nothing lost yet.
Precisely, no blaming anyone involved last night at all! For what it's worth I firmly believe that some blame for the poor season thus far should rest at the feet of Borthwick and Sinfield for not moving our game forward in pre-season giving us more attacking options in particular.
At least we actually showed some decent patterns with ball in hand last night, which is more than we've shown so far this season.

Our maul looks massively short of power. Genge will be a massive reason for that but also no Wiese won't help.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:18 pm
At least we actually showed some decent patterns with ball in hand last night, which is more than we've shown so far this season.

Our maul looks massively short of power. Genge will be a massive reason for that but also no Wiese won't help.
I would venture that Martin is a bit useful in the maul too :smt023
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

fentiger wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:24 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:18 pm

I would venture that Martin is a bit useful in the maul too :smt023
Yes, would tend to agree with that
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

There are bits of our forward play that are certainly better when Green plays, but you lose something around the field.
To win is not as important as playing with style!