Tigers v Ospreys (H) - Friday 20th January 2023 - KO 20:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Ospreys (H) - Friday 20th January 2023 - KO 20:00

Post by Big Dai »

They were jammy so and sos! Just how much did they pay that ref? At leat one of theirs should have been binned earlier. TMO Austin wasn't on our side.

Ah well. You play 4 games. Win 3 and lose one by a point. Not bad.

P.S. I can't print dad's comments.

Anyway....on to see who loses against Leinster!

Cheers.

Big Dai
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Drixtonian

Post by Drixtonian »

Once again a reluctance to take the points on offer. The two wasted penalties in the first half could have made all the difference. They could even have gone into the break with the score at 16 - 10.
I'd like to see an analysis of how many points have been thrown away from going for the corner with relatively simple kickable penalties against how many points have been scored from the ensuing line out tries.
Yes the final ref's decision was painful, but the score should not have been so close.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

We need a big rethink about kickable penalties - until this season a 5 metre line out was a try as our maul was unstoppable but this season much much less so (would love to see the stats) so anything inside the 15 metre lines needs to go to the posts IMHO ….. especially now Handre is kicking.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Postiger2 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:34 pm The Keelan Giles run-in was a huge moment. We had our foot on their throat at that point and were well on top. That was effectively a 14 point swing as we should have scored ourselves.

Slight concern is that Ospreys tactics seemed to be to let us play knowing we'd make mistakes and to counter attack when we overplay and make errors.
I've not seen that try back, but, was he not offside from the kick forwards or did Cole kick it back?

EDIT - I stand corrected - he was onside
Last edited by longlivethecrumbie on Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I've just watched the highlight of that "try" with Austin commentary. I think Austin believes that balls have studs now, at least he confused a boot for the ball. I think he needs either better glasses / contact lenses or he needs to increase his meds.He was so desperate for the try to be awarded it was pathetic. Even with having time and zooming in, there was absolutely no view of the ball being grounded. Just no way. I am glad that I watched it in welsh haha.

In any case, we should have won that way before that happened. Our mistakes ultimately cost us the game. We cannot just randomly fling the ball around, especially when we are outpaced in the backs. It wasn't just that once! We lost the forwards battle all game especially in the mauls and scrum. Our line out was second best, especially before Montoya came on. Refell was incredible, soooo much better than Tiperic.

I agree about Pollard, that is is getting better. He made that one mistake and a couple of odd decisions, but overall had a good game. IMO far better than Atkinson, but he is a great prospect and will learn a lot from Pollard.

Sir was not biased IMHO, unlike Austin, but he was just very poor.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Somethings seriously wrong and we can’t keep blaming the departures of Ford and Genge. This is a title winning squad with experience. Why is it a complete 180 to last season with all these games being lost late on? What’s flipped that switch? Can’t be just bad luck and refs/TMO/Austin all the time!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I mean the angle Austin thinks he can see the ball it is clearly a boot. There is an angle you see the ball you can't see the line though.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not really idk think

Our injuries situation last season was genuinely sooo lucky we had one bad run of missing players and we lost to a weak wasps side.

Got to remember that last season we won multiple games in the last minute and now we are losing those same games.

I don’t think much has change I just think our players look a lot more tired.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If I’ve got this right it’s most likely gonna be Edinburgh at home and then an away QF
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Bge3095

Post by Bge3095 »

I think losing the experience of Ford and genges captaincy has effected us a great deal, Pollard IMO is the same quality as Ford and his unfortunate injury he has had little game time but slowly the backs are starting to click (not without mistakes obviously) some of his flat miss passes to get into the wide Chanels were exceptional. At the moment we lack a quality winger, outside centre and after cole and heyes the props inexperienced.

Also confidence is a big thing and losing SB KS a poor run of form even before they left has all contributed (again IMO) to the hit and miss situation we find ourselves in now
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:41 am Somethings seriously wrong and we can’t keep blaming the departures of Ford and Genge. This is a title winning squad with experience. Why is it a complete 180 to last season with all these games being lost late on? What’s flipped that switch? Can’t be just bad luck and refs/TMO/Austin all the time!
Lets not overreact. We essentially virtually beat a Welsh side in a game that wasn't must win with some injuries and them going the full beans.

Let's look at our scrum going backwards at the end there.

We had our 3rd choice Tighthead (think Hurd is now above Leatigaga as a TH?) and our 5th choice Loosehead on the park. No disrespect to them but they were always going to struggle.

An unlucky intercept kept them in it and some inexplicable calls, like how was that not held up over the line amd a dropout to us on like 78min?!?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:51 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:41 am Somethings seriously wrong and we can’t keep blaming the departures of Ford and Genge. This is a title winning squad with experience. Why is it a complete 180 to last season with all these games being lost late on? What’s flipped that switch? Can’t be just bad luck and refs/TMO/Austin all the time!
Lets not overreact. We essentially virtually beat a Welsh side in a game that wasn't must win with some injuries and them going the full beans.

Let's look at our scrum going backwards at the end there.

We had our 3rd choice Tighthead (think Hurd is now above Leatigaga as a TH?) and our 5th choice Loosehead on the park. No disrespect to them but they were always going to struggle.

An unlucky intercept kept them in it and some inexplicable calls, like how was that not held up over the line amd a dropout to us on like 78min?!?
It’s not just last nights game TFS,that’s my point. And what Ben Youngs did was criminal!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

We stood still between seasons & didn't really plan for the known beginning of season absentees. There have been some strange decisions all season with selection & substitutions as well.
WW close to copying RC's we will sort it out at Oval Park comments....that ended well.

For me our performances & league position are probably more true than last seasons.

Our departed HC left with the job barely half done.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Bobmac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Bobmac »

Agree with 90% of comments. Ospreys played the ref better than us plus we had enough territory and ball to win the game. Hopefully results go our way to get a home last 16 game. 2 areas of concern last night were the lineout and game management.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:57 am
We stood still between seasons & didn't really plan for the known beginning of season absentees. There have been some strange decisions all season with selection & substitutions as well.
WW close to copying RC's we will sort it out at Oval Park comments....that ended well.

For me our performances & league position are probably more true than last seasons.

Our departed HC left with the job barely half done.
That's what I'm starting to think,that's last seaon was just a one off fluke where everything just went completely right and fell into our laps.