Tigers v Ospreys (H) - Friday 20th January 2023 - KO 20:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Ospreys (H) - Friday 20th January 2023 - KO 20:00

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:03 am Also - not watched the game back yet but from where I was sitting in the Crumbie - looking at the final few seconds on the screen - I could not see any grounding from the angles replayed time and time again - so it all depends on the question the ref asked - if he saw a grounding but was just checking for offences - TRY - if he was asking for confirmation about grounding - NO TRY for me. It doesn't matter anyway - we lost a game we should have won.

I am more worried about our set plays - I think we must have lost at least 4 lineouts and a scrum going backward at times is not good. I was a girly back so can't give an answer as to what is going wrong with our line out - poor throw - timing - poor lifting - opponents reading our intention - but it has not been good for most of this season even when SB was here but it does need sorting. I thought Tommy was immense yesterday and Andre has begun to show his real self so it is not all doom and gloom - looking now toward the Saints game.
I couldn't make it to the game so I heard the question.

Ref said he didn't see anything so had no onfield decision.

The conversation between the ref & TMO was in French post that so I couldn't hear.

There was one angle you could see the ball (not the daft claim from Austin that a boot was the ball) It looked like it probably was on the line but couldn't be sure.

For me the ref failed to make an onfield the went with what the angles suggested rather than what was shown. He abdicated making a decision so he didn't go for proof one way or the other. If he made a call either way you wouldn't have overturned it IMO. Because the ref took a cop out I reckon had the decision gone the other way the Ospreys fans would also rightly be raging.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

YoWaGoWan wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:16 am
Postiger2 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:03 pm Get the feeling Austin will be devastated if this isn't given. His commentary ruins games for me
I agree entirely,i've said before on here ME ME Healey is the worst "pundit" of any sport,he will not accept any decision but his own until proven wrong which in nearly all cases he is,sets a bad example to, as he says "any kids watching",his boring analysation of every play and imaginary scinarios are detrimental to any game he is involved with.His only interest is in making the whole experience about himself.
Its hard to believe that BT cannot see and hear what we all can. I suspect that Healey is actually encouraged by BT to be obnoxious as the old saying goes any publicity is good publicity. Kay has become his mini me.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Yesterday we squandered too many good positions by being impatient and trying too many offloads. Gifted them a try in the process. Short kicks to the space behind are an underused option but yesterday we did it several times but without a chaser to make it an effective option.

Our scrum, lineout and maul are not what they were and some of that may be players available but at times where we have had our first choices or near to that on the pitch we haven’t looked as cohesive.
Yesterday we asked Whitcombe to play nearly the whole game as the back up options with Cronin and Ladygaga out were pretty non existent.

Without our Internationals it’s going to be tough.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

For people worried about our scrum at the end there.

Loosehead
Whitcombe had done 75 min before really struggling at the end

Cronin our best Loosehead injured

West, just joined, he will join Whitcombe & Cronin as our primary Looseheads

Leatigaga wasn't there last night may be be as they are prepping him to focus on TH

Van Wyk, for all his detractors I think he is still a better prop than Richardson (who's developing)

Richardson not a bad prop and was just about holding up in most of the scrums, unlucky to get the yellow when all the other scrum pens had been the other side

Tighthead

Cole off for Hurd. Ok we weren't going forward and were under pressure against an international pack, but no scrum pens with him on the field

Heyes rested for a game that wasn't must win as we want to give minutes to Hurd in preparation of losing 2 TH's

Hurd has shown he's a 3rd choice but is still developing and was up against an international prop so no shame in him struggling. Cole could have gone longer and would have if it was must win but we put him on to get minutes he needed.

Leatigaga has more experience than Hurd at TH but LH is his strength, he is still a very good 4th choice prop.

Richardson there seems to have been a bit more focus on him also propping TH this season so gives us some depth there

Hoyt - has had some PRC appearances but is still developing, Richardson has certainly had more TH appearances than him.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:08 am Yesterday we asked Whitcombe to play nearly the whole game as the back up options with Cronin and Ladygaga out were pretty non existent.

Without our Internationals it’s going to be tough.
West & Whitcombe gives us 2 really good Loosehead options.

Tighthead is where we'll struggle. However it's likely that Heyes may get released for the games after the Saints and think as Scrums aren't their strength it is likely that Hurd & Leatigaga should be ok for that game
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:17 am For people worried about our scrum at the end there.

Loosehead
Whitcombe had done 75 min before really struggling at the end

Cronin our best Loosehead injured

West, just joined, he will join Whitcombe & Cronin as our primary Looseheads

Leatigaga wasn't there last night may be be as they are prepping him to focus on TH

Van Wyk, for all his detractors I think he is still a better prop than Richardson (who's developing)

Richardson not a bad prop and was just about holding up in most of the scrums, unlucky to get the yellow when all the other scrum pens had been the other side

Tighthead

Cole off for Hurd. Ok we weren't going forward and were under pressure against an international pack, but no scrum pens with him on the field

Heyes rested for a game that wasn't must win as we want to give minutes to Hurd in preparation of losing 2 TH's

Hurd has shown he's a 3rd choice but is still developing and was up against an international prop so no shame in him struggling. Cole could have gone longer and would have if it was must win but we put him on to get minutes he needed.

Leatigaga has more experience than Hurd at TH but LH is his strength, he is still a very good 4th choice prop.

Richardson there seems to have been a bit more focus on him also propping TH this season so gives us some depth there

Hoyt - has had some PRC appearances but is still developing, Richardson has certainly had more TH appearances than him.
One could argue the decision to rest Heyes and take off Cole early ultimately cost us the match
Last edited by sapajo on Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Having had time to think on the game, it’s actually not doom and gloom. Wigglesworth summed it up well at the end, it was inaccuracies on our part. Lineout which is normally strong. Scrum creaked, which is a bit of a worry. However, I feel we kicked less than normal, and tried to attack ball in hand more, which was good to see. The Keegan Giles try was coughed up posession when we were trying to stretch them.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with the shape of our attack last night shame we did not convert enough opportunities in their red zone
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

When you think the attack imo was missing our 2 biggest attacking threats in the backs as well in Porter and Watson.

It’s been very nice watching backs moves off first phase ball that aren’t just pass it to Nadolo and hopes he breaks the line.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

sapajo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:29 am I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with the shape of our attack last night shame we did not convert enough opportunities in their red zone
By attack, I guess you mean in the backs. I don't agree in the forwards. Had Simmonds got the ball down for his first would-be try, then the shape of the game could have become very different.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

We lost the because we didn't take some points when on offer and a load of passes going to ground. Couple of those passes going to hand and we'd have scored a couple more try's.

They got lucky on a couple of occasions and scored points.

Should have had the game closed out with 20 to go.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:33 am
trendylfj wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:03 amso it all depends on the question the ref asked - if he saw a grounding but was just checking for offences - TRY - if he was asking for confirmation about grounding - NO TRY for me. It doesn't matter anyway - we lost a game we should have won.
Quite sure the Ref told TMO there was no on field decision....which at best, IMO, means no try, at worst it is an abdication of his responsibility.
Initially he called it (or signalled, at least) as held up.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

A very youthful Tigers pushed an extremely experienced side and lost by a point, our players will learn so much from nights like that, we are moving in the right direction, using our squad well.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Out of interest, is that now 4 games this season we’ve lost with the last play.
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

Another game we should have won but contrived to loose it. Too many missed opportunities and sloppy play. That said some fine performances too, Freddy Steward, Tommy Reffel, and Harry Simmonds, take a bow!