U20's 6 Nations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: U20's 6 Nations

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:00 pm Completely forgot about Harry Mallinder. As you say never really found his position, I think he was a 15, then got caught up with his dad’s departure from saints and was never really seen again.
As SK88 says been playing for the Black Rams. At 27 could be worth a low cost punt for someone
Don't think he technically played for them
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:55 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:00 pm Completely forgot about Harry Mallinder. As you say never really found his position, I think he was a 15, then got caught up with his dad’s departure from saints and was never really seen again.
As SK88 says been playing for the Black Rams. At 27 could be worth a low cost punt for someone
Wasn’t aware but that his listed as his present/last club
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:05 pm
I always rated him as a good player.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Mallinder never got on the pitch for the Black Rams. Due to injury AFAIK.

He had a really nasty shoulder injury early on that affected his tackling on that shoulder. Sides starting targeting that side and he never really recovered physically or found a way to alter his technique to adapt.

At that 2016 JWC, Mallinder and Jordie Barrett were the standout backs. I think most Saints fans I've spoken to who know their rugby feel that Mallinder would've ended up with 12 being his best position before the shoulder injury. Then he slid back to 15 as he couldn't really tackle anymore. Barrett was a 15 who has slid to 12 very successfully now. It's funny how these things work out sometimes.

I think Tom Curry, Ben Curry and Aaron Hinckley are fascinating examples of how injuries can affect progression. Tom and Ben were in the 2017 U20 side. They looked equal talents at that point with Ben actually called into the senior squad first before he was injured and Tom replaced him. A year on, Tom was an England starter who had bulked up and increasingly looked more like David Pocock than the U20s player he was before. Whereas Ben after a bad injury was back with the U20s in 2018, now alongside Hinckley, and still impressed with them but in terms of physical development suddenly looked miles behind Tom. Realistically, it took Ben years to make up some of that ground he lost.

Hinckley then looked a phenomenal talent at U20s, on a par with the Curry brother for raw talent. With all the injuries he's hardly strung games together as a Prem player though.

You can have all the talent in the world but injury luck can play a huge role. I just hope Ilione can stay on the pitch more in the coming season.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ABClub wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:57 pm Mallinder never got on the pitch for the Black Rams. Due to injury AFAIK.

He had a really nasty shoulder injury early on that affected his tackling on that shoulder. Sides starting targeting that side and he never really recovered physically or found a way to alter his technique to adapt.

At that 2016 JWC, Mallinder and Jordie Barrett were the standout backs. I think most Saints fans I've spoken to who know their rugby feel that Mallinder would've ended up with 12 being his best position before the shoulder injury. Then he slid back to 15 as he couldn't really tackle anymore. Barrett was a 15 who has slid to 12 very successfully now. It's funny how these things work out sometimes.

I think Tom Curry, Ben Curry and Aaron Hinckley are fascinating examples of how injuries can affect progression. Tom and Ben were in the 2017 U20 side. They looked equal talents at that point with Ben actually called into the senior squad first before he was injured and Tom replaced him. A year on, Tom was an England starter who had bulked up and increasingly looked more like David Pocock than the U20s player he was before. Whereas Ben after a bad injury was back with the U20s in 2018, now alongside Hinckley, and still impressed with them but in terms of physical development suddenly looked miles behind Tom. Realistically, it took Ben years to make up some of that ground he lost.

Hinckley then looked a phenomenal talent at U20s, on a par with the Curry brother for raw talent. With all the injuries he's hardly strung games together as a Prem player though.

You can have all the talent in the world but injury luck can play a huge role. I just hope Ilione can stay on the pitch more in the coming season.
Interesting your comment about him playing 12 as that is where Jordie Barrett has ended up and there are definite physical similarities.
Also agree with your comments about injuries affecting players progression not just physically but mentally too
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I don't see Pocock in Curry. Different level for me. Only similarity is they're both 7s who have played at 8 internationally,and David is better in both positions. Not even close for me
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

IDK I think when you think Tom Curry is only 25 it’s insane how good he is
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:08 am IDK I think when you think Tom Curry is only 25 it’s insane how good he is
Very good but Pocock was elite. Talked about as an all time great and consistently in the conversation for World XV year in year out. Bit harsh to judge Curry yet though and best to revisit it when his career is finished
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Big upset in the U20s Trophy, as Uruguay take down Scotland 37-26!

They'll face Spain (who saw off Samoa 28-10), for a place in the top tier next year.

Final on Sunday at 2pm
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqbgcleFRYo

Uruguay vs Spain starts in a couple of hours, if you want a game to watch today.
Kenya vs Zimbabwe on currently.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:05 pm
He's not listed on the Black Rams website so don't know what he's doing now.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Quality match so far!

Spain lead 24-15 at half time, having been 15-0 down early on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqbgcleFRYo
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Spain win a highly entertaining match 39-32!

They're promoted to the top tier for the first time!

Scotland now playing below both Georgia and Spain at this level...