Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: U20's 6 Nations

Post by sam16111986 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:17 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:43 am Thought Chessum played well, he's filled out and really upped his game since last year's 6N. He was everywhere last night and was England's main lineout option (until the equally tall Carmichael came off the bench). Carmichael added a bit of extra grunt (along with Woodman) that England needed in the second half.

Woodward showed a couple of nice touches at 12 and nice chip tackle technique. Carnduff was a bit hit and miss but that was pretty much the starting backrow, the lack of a natural openside hampered England.

Hoyt did ok but England did concede a couple of scrum penalties though I think on the other side. Given England's forwards ran rough shod over Scotland for the first quarter and then the front row was changed after 50 mins he was part of the most dominant period. I'd like to see him get into position for more carries. He got about in defence.
Thanks for the summary! Do you think Chessum is ahead of Manz in the pecking order?
I'd expect Chessum Jnr to supplant Tom Manz in the pecking order soon or already have done. Manz looks like he could be a good clubman but Chessum Jnr looks like he could be a future England international alongside his brother. The level of development from last year to this is really striking and he's a monster of a bloke.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:20 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:43 am Thought Chessum played well, he's filled out and really upped his game since last year's 6N. He was everywhere last night and was England's main lineout option (until the equally tall Carmichael came off the bench). Carmichael added a bit of extra grunt (along with Woodman) that England needed in the second half.

Woodward showed a couple of nice touches at 12 and nice chip tackle technique. Carnduff was a bit hit and miss but that was pretty much the starting backrow, the lack of a natural openside hampered England.

Hoyt did ok but England did concede a couple of scrum penalties though I think on the other side. Given England's forwards ran rough shod over Scotland for the first quarter and then the front row was changed after 50 mins he was part of the most dominant period. I'd like to see him get into position for more carries. He got about in defence.
Thanks for the summary! Do you think Chessum is ahead of Manz in the pecking order?
I'd expect Chessum Jnr to supplant Tom Manz in the pecking order soon or already have done. Manz looks like he could be a good clubman but Chessum Jnr looks like he could be a future England international alongside his brother. The level of development from last year to this is really striking and he's a monster of a bloke.
That checks out. Looking forward to seeing Carmichael fill out in this manner too.

Watched the game on iPlayer and noted Finn Theobald-Thomas’ work rate. He’s not the biggest but can get up off the floor pretty quick.

Thought Finn Carnduff was reasonably good too. Some good chop tackles.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:01 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:20 am

That checks out. Looking forward to seeing Carmichael fill out in this manner too.

Watched the game on iPlayer and noted Finn Theobald-Thomas’ work rate. He’s not the biggest but can get up off the floor pretty quick.

Thought Finn Carnduff was reasonably good too. Some good chop tackles.
Agreed. Whilst Carnduff did look a bit underpowered at times it is worth noting he's only 18 so to be at this level so early says a lot about how highly he's rated.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

This Fridays live match on BBC RB1 ie DTV601 is the Scotland v Wales match at 19-00 to 21-30 followed by the recording of England v Italy at 21-30 to 23-30 and the Ireland v France recording follows that!
Finishing just before the Milkman arrives! Bagpipes oiled and sporran fed ready.
Hoping this helps. I suppose the February 24th match could be France v Scotland but Wales vEngland would be good! Enjoy on Freeview. :smt001
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ardom.html

Bit on the Chessum's. Ollie presented Lewis his captain's shirt for the game Vs Scotland.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:57 am https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ardom.html

Bit on the Chessum's. Ollie presented Lewis his captain's shirt for the game Vs Scotland.
Good article, but there is no way they are both 6ft7, Lewis has to be 2-3 inches taller than Olly looking at the photos. Wonder if Tigers have the youngest brother in their sights already….
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Saw them in the bar after a game. As you say Lewis is about 3” taller than Ollie.
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Yeah it's definitely apparent that Lewis is taller. Rob Carmichael looks taller again. With these lads looking to be the future of the club we might have to raise the height of the door lintels around the place to avoid concussions.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:03 pm Yeah it's definitely apparent that Lewis is taller. Rob Carmichael looks taller again. With these lads looking to be the future of the club we might have to raise the height of the door lintels around the place to avoid concussions.
A recent article said Carmichael was already 6'10"
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/si ... 0s-team-w2

Josh Manz called onto the bench as a late replacement
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

15 - 5 after 30min to England. The Italian scrum has us on toast 5 scrum penalties against us
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
bendy

Post by bendy »

Mixed bag from the Tigers boys so far.

Carnduff having a good run out. I like the look of our new hooker.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

That's a good win. This Italy team are no mugs and nearly pipped the French last week.

Felt a bit sorry for Hoyt, who seemed to be holding his end okay, but the loosehead was getting marmalised.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Agree with all the comments. I was at the game. Chessum looked good, Hoyt held his end up but the scrum was battered to be truthful and how a penalty try wasn’t given after about 5 consecutive penalties on the England line I have no clue ! Cunningham-South stood out a mile, you can tell he’s had Premiership experience.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

The officiating was, at best, inconsistent! In reality it was dire, Chessum got clobbered on the line with a shoulder direct to the head, not looked at! Several other dubious decisions, England did well to overcome. :smt023