How much?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

How much?

Post by Smudge »

Much has been speculated and spoken of regarding the fee Tigers would demand for our coaches.
200k was the figure widely quoted in the press as being offered for them.
I have seen as much as £5 million being quoted but as nothing has been published (as far as I know) I should really like to know.
I am sure the figure is commercially sensitive as far as the parties are concerned but speaking as a long time member, and
being more than a little upset at what has been done to us, I really want to know, if only to satisfy myself that the club, which lets face it, held all the cards, did exact a considerable premium.
A life long Tiger
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: How much?

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Smudge wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:54 am Much has been speculated and spoken of regarding the fee Tigers would demand for our coaches.
200k was the figure widely quoted in the press as being offered for them.
I have seen as much as £5 million being quoted but as nothing has been published (as far as I know) I should really like to know.
I am sure the figure is commercially sensitive as far as the parties are concerned but speaking as a long time member, and
being more than a little upset at what has been done to us, I really want to know, if only to satisfy myself that the club, which lets face it, held all the cards, did exact a considerable premium.
I think most publications and papers think the agreed figure in the end was £1million

Not sure if that was for both or just Borthwick (suspect both)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... ded-change

Sweeney also revealed plans were in place for Borthwick to take over from Jones after the World Cup in France, with those plans brought forward in light of England's recent struggles.

"My first conversation with Leicester was in August of this year, and they've been very cooperative about this process, but the original intention was for after the World Cup.

"Clearly we've had to accelerate things, we had a number of conversations with them, and one of the principles we agreed was that they shouldn't be financially out of pocket, because Steve and Kevin are both coming before the end of their contracts.

"It's not a seven-figure sum, but we did make sure they were not financially out of pocket.

"That does happen in sport [costly coaching changes], every tournament we go into, we have a preview and a review, and every step of that way, we're looking at various different possible
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:30 am https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... ded-change

Sweeney also revealed plans were in place for Borthwick to take over from Jones after the World Cup in France, with those plans brought forward in light of England's recent struggles.

"My first conversation with Leicester was in August of this year, and they've been very cooperative about this process, but the original intention was for after the World Cup.

"Clearly we've had to accelerate things, we had a number of conversations with them, and one of the principles we agreed was that they shouldn't be financially out of pocket, because Steve and Kevin are both coming before the end of their contracts.

"It's not a seven-figure sum, but we did make sure they were not financially out of pocket.

"That does happen in sport [costly coaching changes], every tournament we go into, we have a preview and a review, and every step of that way, we're looking at various different possible
All the nines then.... :smt017
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:37 am
WhitecapTiger wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:30 am https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... ded-change

All the nines then.... :smt017
What ever Sweeney says needs to be taken with a big pinch of Salt.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

This being the RFU who did not want to see us out of pocket but still took an extended period of time to agree a suitable level of compensation.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

However much it was, it probably wasn't enough
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

What are the playoffs worth, financially?
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

It is alright saying we made sure that Leicester won't be "out of pocket" but the 2 of them were worth much more to us than they cost. I suspect that the RFU will have paid us the minimum they could get away with just like motor insurers pay book price if they write off your car, not what it was worth to you.
Hehehehehehehehe
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I expect you are right.
A life long Tiger
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

anz3001 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:26 am What are the playoffs worth, financially?
Not as much as you may think. I may well be wrong but I think the semi final money, once costs are covered, is split between the 2 sides, and any excess revenue from the final is split between all the premiership clubs.
They may be wrong but thought I heard that last season
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think the bigger financial implications are if we get home or away ties in Europe.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

The reports suggested that the payoff would have to take in to account that the disruption would mean it less probable we would reach the later stages of Europe and the prem playoffs.

Has to be 7 figures, surely.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

He's doing us a favour down playing it in the media. I mean he's trying to save face for himself obviously but now if we go into discussions with another club trying to recruit a coach from them we can point to these comments and say we didn't get much.

Much better than him coming out and saying it was a hefty sum and then any club we go to and try and recruit a coach from add a zero onto their asking price.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Are we ever likely to see the true figure. Will it appear in the clubs accounts.