Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:40 pm https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... um=twitter

One out of the mix
Yeah I don't think he was ever in the mix really. Fans hoped he might be, media generated baseless speculation because he used to play for us but in reality Leinster weren't going to want to part with such a key figure in their recent strength.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:09 pm
sapajo wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:04 pm
Qbec wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:12 pm with all in mind I will repeat what I said yesterday "any replacements to the above will likely not occur until end of this season but most likely after the world cup so 2 seasons."
Those being this season & next, from what I can see right now we are right back to where we were before SB arrived with searches going on around the world for the Best availble people, meanwhile players due to have contracts renewed or indeed players we may have been looking to bringing in may well be put on hold by us or they may well be having 2nd thoughts.

£1m is not going to cut it if that was indeed the figure we got from the RFU, because no matter how you look at this, the heart has been ripped out of the club.
I am not saying SB & KS have done us over by leaving because we all expected it indeed the club were planning for it.But Not Now!! The trouble being the RFU got wiggly bums & sacked EJ.
I feel we would have been right to say you are contracted to the end of this season or whenever as i think it was for longer & The TIGERS come first not england, I have supported my club for many years & always will but this stinks & I will never forget who/how this has come about through no fault of 22k+ supporters of this great club.
If this upsets anyone so be it, but I am really angry at what has come about here.
Excellent post we are back to square one. If any reminder is needed the club is a business and the compensation money was just to alluring to turn down. For me the club have a lot to answer for choosing to pocket the cash and cynically see out the season as cheap as possible because there is no relegation. I do not care a flying fig about England its always club first for me.
agree 100% on this post. Club first every time. This forum is for Tigers supporters as far as I know. Not everyone on here is an England fan
I completely agree, Tigers first every time.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

It’s very harsh to say the club choose cash, they were put in an impossible position, as soon as EJ was sacked we wanted to go, he wasn’t waiting for someone else to take the job and possibly miss out forever. The club did a great job in getting the compensation, SB didn’t care leaving us in a mess.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Dangerous4 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:40 pm
ay2oh wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:09 pm
sapajo wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:04 pm

Excellent post we are back to square one. If any reminder is needed the club is a business and the compensation money was just to alluring to turn down. For me the club have a lot to answer for choosing to pocket the cash and cynically see out the season as cheap as possible because there is no relegation. I do not care a flying fig about England its always club first for me.
agree 100% on this post. Club first every time. This forum is for Tigers supporters as far as I know. Not everyone on here is an England fan
I completely agree, Tigers first every time.
I don’t see how the club could stand is Borthwick’s way. Pinchen said that from day one he said he would want the England job if it came up. It just came earlier than the club wanted.

Think it is foolish to criticize the club when it was out of their hands. The club were in no position to refuse they just had to demand as much money as they could. You may not care about England but Borthwick did and that’s what matters. I cannot think of a single coach in world rugby who would turn down the chance to coach a tier one nation. We may not like it but blaming the club is grossly unfair. All this ‘back to square one’ stuff is so over the top. Look at the squad now compared to when Borthwick took over. No one wanted Borthwick to go but the writing has been on the wall for a while. Moaning that it’s all awful and we’ve gone backwards etc etc. He has only been gone a month!

Can we please have some degree of perspective.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

To answer the last post l would just say this: Perspective is the appearance of things relative to one another as determined from the viewer.
So from my point of view what l wrote in my post was my perspective, others my see things differently & that's okay as that's just the way things are we are different. But it does not make that original point wrong it's just not the same as yours.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

The squad now is far stronger than it he’s been for a number of years even with Ford and Genge gone. We have good depth with 2 very good players in every position.
Very sad that Borthwick and Sinfield left but that situation was totally down to the RFU and was outside the clubs control. Let’s get behind the team as we are good enough to get top four.
A2O
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Qbec wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:00 pm To answer the last post l would just say this: Perspective is the appearance of things relative to one another as determined from the viewer.
So from my point of view what l wrote in my post was my perspective, others my see things differently & that's okay as that's just the way things are we are different. But it does not make that original point wrong it's just not the same as yours.
I agree as one man's perspective is just that and does not surplant those held by others
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigermattters

Post by Tigermattters »

Gregor Townsend will be a real statement appointment when confirmed as Head Coach after the Six Nations.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Tigermattters wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:43 am Gregor Townsend will be a real statement appointment when confirmed as Head Coach after the Six Nations.
Quite the declarative statement, are you privy to something the rest of us aren't?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigermattters wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:43 am Gregor Townsend will be a real statement appointment when confirmed as Head Coach after the Six Nations.
Gregor Townsend will be a real statement appointment IF confirmed as Head Coach after the Six Nations.
Tigermattters

Post by Tigermattters »

Friends at the SRU - they have heard it’s most likely straight after the Six Nations but could be after the World Cup depends on Scotland’s results.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigermattters wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:45 am Friends at the SRU - they have heard it’s most likely straight after the Six Nations but could be after the World Cup depends on Scotland’s results.
No way is Townsend going to leave Scotland before the World Cup
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:48 am
Tigermattters wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:45 am Friends at the SRU - they have heard it’s most likely straight after the Six Nations but could be after the World Cup depends on Scotland’s results.
I tend to agree… would be a very odd move to remove Townsend before the WC. Doubt he would turn down the chance and also the SRU would be unlikely to replace him in time, and have the replacement ready for the WC. Even if they brought in someone like Rennie who is available - would be a hospital pass to say “right come in in April, have 5months or less to prepare for a WC and get us to the QF/SF or wherever Scotland are expect to reach”.

Can’t see it myself - but I’ve been wrong before…
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:56 am
I tend to agree… would be a very odd move to remove Townsend before the WC. Doubt he would turn down the chance and also the SRU would be unlikely to replace him in time, and have the replacement ready for the WC. Even if they brought in someone like Rennie who is available - would be a hospital pass to say “right come in in April, have 5months or less to prepare for a WC and get us to the QF/SF or wherever Scotland are expect to reach”.

Can’t see it myself - but I’ve been wrong before…
Unless I’ve read it wrong and the announcement is coming after the 6N with a view to Townsend to join post WC… ?!?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Or the announcement could be after the 6N and he joins after the RWC. But that wouldn’t help Scotlands preparations
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer