Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by sapajo »

sk 88 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:09 am
sapajo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:43 pm
loretta wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:21 pm

I hope we are in parallel negotiations with Borthwick offering him extra years/money on his deal to stay, while also keeping him abreast of our position with the RFU.
Sadly I fear that is not going to happen as Tigers would already have tried to keep Borthwick but clearly he has not signed a contract extension beyond this season as he always planned to leave for England. That said if by a miracle Borthwick were to now have a light bulb moment and realise where his bread is truly buttered and its not the poisoned chalice of England
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

For those clamouring for us to get Robertson in - even if we did manage it, we'd only be in this position again when NZ come calling - likely after the WC!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Not according to the NZ press. They are saying her has no chance of being the ABs next coach.
He has obviously upset someone in the hierarchy!
A life long Tiger
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Smudge wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:07 pm Not according to the NZ press. They are saying her has no chance of being the ABs next coach.
Whether it's NZ or not I'd put good money on him being an international coach post World Cup.

Ireland, Argentina, Italy all possible destinations IMO for him.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:56 pm
Smudge wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:07 pm Not according to the NZ press. They are saying her has no chance of being the ABs next coach.
Whether it's NZ or not I'd put good money on him being an international coach post World Cup.

I like the idea of Argentina for him I bet he would be fantastic for them.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Farrell is at Ireland till 2025 isn't he? Not sure the Argentina or Italy jobs are big enough for him, Italy is arguably a smaller job than Tigers as well
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I suspect it will be Schmidt, though he might convince Robertson and the NZRU to have Robertson as an assistant and mentor him over the four years to take over after Schmidt.

Scotland (where he spent some time), Argentina, Australia (a close friend of his has a job towards the rio in the ARU) and maybe Japan if Joseph goes to New Zealand. I'd love him to take on Samoa or Tonga but don't think they'd have the budget.

Any which way I don't think he's thinking of club rugby away from the Crusaders.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:25 pm

Farrell is at Ireland till 2025 isn't he? Not sure the Argentina or Italy jobs are big enough for him, Italy is arguably a smaller job than Tigers as well
He wants the AB job, the AB panel seem to like coaches who got and get International experience and then return. See Henry and Hansen with Schmidt now the 'consultant' to Foster.

Go and make a splash with another nation could push him higher up the pecking order for four years time.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

If, as we all expect, SB goes, he must go with our best wishes and thanks for the job he has done. The same has to be said for our other coaches. I really hope that we have been talking to him and he has told us who, if any, of the backup staff he would like to join him. That way we can move forward as I believe it is in the best interests of the club and our current staff. My only reservation is that we get the correct level of compensation for whoever leaves us early and don't get screwed by the RFU
Hehehehehehehehe
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:27 pm If, as we all expect, SB goes, he must go with our best wishes and thanks for the job he has done. The same has to be said for our other coaches. I really hope that we have been talking to him and he has told us who, if any, of the backup staff he would like to join him. That way we can move forward as I believe it is in the best interests of the club and our current staff. My only reservation is that we get the correct level of compensation for whoever leaves us early and don't get screwed by the RFU
I don’t think most Tigers fans have an issue with Borthwick leaving if it was end of season it’s just completely out of order to expect all of our coaches being poached mid season
A2O
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:43 pm
trendylfj wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:27 pm If, as we all expect, SB goes, he must go with our best wishes and thanks for the job he has done. The same has to be said for our other coaches. I really hope that we have been talking to him and he has told us who, if any, of the backup staff he would like to join him. That way we can move forward as I believe it is in the best interests of the club and our current staff. My only reservation is that we get the correct level of compensation for whoever leaves us early and don't get screwed by the RFU
I don’t think most Tigers fans have an issue with Borthwick leaving if it was end of season it’s just completely out of order to expect all of our coaches being poached mid season
I think we'd all want to resist what Stuart Barnes described in yesterday's Times as the club being vandalised.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:24 am I might be wrong but Borthwick strikes me as an intelligent guy who has a lot of integrity . He will understand that him leaving half way through the season causes Tigers lots of problems. Obviously he has ambitions to coach at a high level but I’d be surprised if he were to walk out without an agreement being reached between the club and the RFU.
This - it would also not surprise me one bit if we discover that Borthwick has been an integral part of the succession planning along with the the board over any coaching recruitment (if that was felt is needed). He has arguably brought on a significant batch of the next generation of England players at the club and if he becomes England coach will want to leave them in good hands at the club going forward. The sacking of EJ has no doubt put a spanner in the works of the clubs planning but I'm sure Borthwick will be working closely with the club to manage the process to minimise any damage to the players/coaching this season as he will be calling on a fair few players and will need them at the top of their game.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerXV wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:07 am
ay2oh wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:24 am I might be wrong but Borthwick strikes me as an intelligent guy who has a lot of integrity . He will understand that him leaving half way through the season causes Tigers lots of problems. Obviously he has ambitions to coach at a high level but I’d be surprised if he were to walk out without an agreement being reached between the club and the RFU.
This - it would also not surprise me one bit if we discover that Borthwick has been an integral part of the succession planning along with the the board over any coaching recruitment (if that was felt is needed). He has arguably brought on a significant batch of the next generation of England players at the club and if he becomes England coach will want to leave them in good hands at the club going forward. The sacking of EJ has no doubt put a spanner in the works of the clubs planning but I'm sure Borthwick will be working closely with the club to manage the process to minimise any damage to the players/coaching this season as he will be calling on a fair few players and will need them at the top of their game.
Definitely. Even if he's going to the England job he'll not want to throw a club providing his world cup squad with a significant portion of their players unstabilised. It's in his benefit to leave Tigers in a good situation
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

markharbtiger wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:29 am
ay2oh wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:43 pm
I think we'd all want to resist what Stuart Barnes described in yesterday's Times as the club being vandalised.
For me he is spot on we are being vandalised by the RFU
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Am I right in thinking that something like this happening the English game is without precedent? When was the last time a national team tried to take an entire coaching group from a club mid season?

Tigers will say well with Steve we are going to lose play off/ final revenue, champions cup knock out money. Well within their rights to ask for over a million if not more.