Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by ay2oh »

GB72 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:27 am This whole thing just sums up the RFU. You really would think that they would have asked what compensation we were seeking, what releases we would agree to etc before sacking Jones but no, We now have this mess and uncertainty.
The RFU are a joke of an organisation with no leadership and are completely out of touch with the modern game. Who in their right mind sack the coach half way through the season without having a replacement lined up.
A2O
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

I assume the RFU just thought Tigers would roll over for King and Country and send SB on is way with wave..
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I'd take Cullen and Lancaster as a partnership.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

[quote=ads post_id=838339 time=1670575277 user_id=997

Would be hillarious if they brought Geordan back and we got to the final of both comps!!..... :smt005
[/quote]

Perish the thought! Just remember what happened after we brought back Matt O'Connor, I think Tigers have learned their lesson well and truly.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Geordan was a really nice guy but well out of his depth.
A2O
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

ads wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:59 am I'd take Cullen and Lancaster as a partnership.
Lancaster has a contract in France I believe
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Offside wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:45 am Radio 4 suggesting announcement will be next week now.
If this is the case, then Borthwick will probably roll out Super Kev/Brett Deacs prior to and after the Ospreys game until it's been officially announced. I'm still intrigued with how Steve will approach the very different media duties at International level. I'm not sure the approach that has been used at Tigers will work at that level. There again, what do I know. I'm just thinking about England winning a game and the communication being "we're just focused on the next game, trying to improve, the fans have been brilliant at Twickenham and we're grateful for their support". Will the media buy into that ? They may have to.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

We’ve got to be realistic. Getting another Head coach to come is not going to happen- not from the Northern Hemisphere. We either go for an assistant at international or club level, or someone from the southern hemisphere who needs to greater exposure.

Names banded around are not realistic- Cheika, Robertson, Lancaster, Cullen.

Not sure on Vesty given his style of play- never succeeded at tigers withstanding it forward dominance.

Dobson or O Connell would be my choice.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

westwinds31 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:43 am England winning a game and the communication being "we're just focused on the next game, trying to improve, the fans have been brilliant at Twickenham and we're grateful for their support". Will the media buy into that ? They may have to.
And that would serve the media right, wouldn't it? They should be careful what they wish for!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Don't agree that Geordan was out of his depth, he took over a team that was simply not good enough and inherited the stupid situation where leading players Toomua and Polatau-nau were flying backwards and forwards to Australia. The following season started 12 of the first team away until December due to the World Cup and also the knowledge that Borthwick was coming in. Lock down came as things were picking up playing wise but I believe that groundwork by Geordan paved the way for S.B and platyed a part in our improvement. However I don't think a return of Murphy is likely but I am not sure of the benefits of forcing coaches to stay simply because the RFU have not come up with a satisfactory compensation package.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

My only concern about the delay is that it could mean that we lose more than just SB. Negotiating a release payment for one person who we have confirmed we will let go at the right price should not be difficult. The RFU propose an amount, we tell them how much we want, if a middle ground is found we sign a deal. The only alternative the RFU have is to see it as too expensive and look at other options and that is not ideal either as we are left with an annoyed SB who will see us as having priced him out of the job he wants and maybe even causing him to miss a chance. On that basis, there has to be some give on our side.

Negotiating payments for for 3 or 4 people, howver, some of who we want to retain to the end of the season would seem a far more complicated process that could take time.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:54 am Don't agree that Geordan was out of his depth, he took over a team that was simply not good enough and inherited the stupid situation where leading players Toomua and Polatau-nau were flying backwards and forwards to Australia. The following season started 12 of the first team away until December due to the World Cup and also the knowledge that Borthwick was coming in. Lock down came as things were picking up playing wise but I believe that groundwork by Geordan paved the way for S.B and platyed a part in our improvement. However I don't think a return of Murphy is likely but I am not sure of the benefits of forcing coaches to stay simply because the RFU have not come up with a satisfactory compensation package.
As soon as I posted I realised that JTG would come to the defence of Geordan(or Cockers). He had no experience of coaching and Tigers was too big a gig for his first role. Anyway it is irrelevant as the board won’t make the same mistake again with Andrea at the helm.
A2O
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:40 am
ads wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:59 am I'd take Cullen and Lancaster as a partnership.
Lancaster has a contract in France I believe
:smt023 I was thinking I'd read something like that when I was typing that.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I believe SB to be pragmatic enough to realise that Tigers require sufficient compensation for him leaving 6 months earlier than anticipated.
While he may not be overly happy about it, it may also paint his future employers in a slightly different light.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:03 am I believe SB to be pragmatic enough to realise that Tigers require sufficient compensation for him leaving 6 months earlier than anticipated.
While he may not be overly happy about it, it may also paint his future employers in a slightly different light.
I get the impression he is pragmatic too and will see that Tigers have not done anything to bring this situation about. It is entirely the RFU that has created the situation, with little bit from SB himself for presumably engaging with the RFU and showing willing to be approached.
As Good As It Gets