Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

BBC has Ian Peel from Sarries as the favourite to take over from Cockerill with England, no mention of Harrison.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Wrigglesworth and Walters confirmed for England. Just Deacs and the tea lady left - what’s wrong with them?
Valhalla I am coming!
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

New coach...easy!!! I've noticed Andrea has the pick of 25,000 dual qualified referees and coaches that attend MWWR every home game....

And the press stuff is simple, win or lose you just mumble something about 'being on Journey...'

Whose up for it????

:smt040
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

if the Cheika rumours are true and he's going to job share until the world cup start asap, if that's before the end of the season so be it
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:42 pm New coach...easy!!! I've noticed Andrea has the pick of 25,000 dual qualified referees and coaches that attend MWWR every home game....

And the press stuff is simple, win or lose you just mumble something about 'being on Journey...'

Whose up for it????

:smt040
I couldn't possibly afford to take that pay cut
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:02 pm Are we particularly worried about Harrison leaving? Our scrum is pretty average these days.

I've found the England pretty difficult to like over the last year or so, and this situation isn't making it any easier. Whether I'm angry or not depends on what was discussed behind closed doors and when - maybe this is pretty much the situation Tigers signed up for, maybe not. We'll probably never know.

If we can now bring in a strong head coach and continue from where SB left off then the whole Borthwick experience will have been a net gain. Up to the club to make sure we have every chance of continuing with the improvements over the last two years. It certainly sounds like they're talking to the right caliber of people.

In terms of the timing of the announcement, it could be for any number of reasons. Perhaps a journo found out and was going to put it out there anyway. Who knows with the RFU!
With regards to what Tigers signed up to, let's not forget Tigers announced that Borthwick is consulting with us on his replacement. For that to be the case (given this recruitment has been going on all season) you'd think the club knew full well Borthwick was going and who he was thinking he'd take and why.

I mean rumours were it was 4 of them going at first. Yet we made Wigglesworth Interim. Now imagine (unlikely but still possible) we get to the playoffs win them get a title, but the new HC is signed sealed could we ask Deacon to step down without him feeling bitter?

I personally think the club have known all season (at least) who is likely to go and who will stay. I am still in the trusting Pinchen stage atm.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

fleabane wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:31 pm Wrigglesworth and Walters confirmed for England. Just Deacs and the tea lady left - what’s wrong with them?
Wrigglesworth and Walters - sounds like a comedy double act :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:06 am
fleabane wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:31 pm Wrigglesworth and Walters confirmed for England. Just Deacs and the tea lady left - what’s wrong with them?
Wrigglesworth and Walters - sounds like a comedy double act :smt003
I should have added that after scouring the world Deacs and the Tea Lady are our new coaching team :smt003

Joking aside, I believe the board have learned from past mistakes (I hope these words don't come back to bite me) and have matters in hand.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

According to Telegraph, it'll either be Cheika or Cotter.

My preference would be firmly with Cotter, and hasn't Cheika got World Cup commitmemts with Argentina?
Semper in excretia
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I'd be happy with either Cheika or Cotter.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

ads wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:51 am I'd be happy with either Cheika or Cotter.
Agreed. Let those in the know pick who is the best fit, both have excellent CVs and good characters.
Soggypitch
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Rassie :smt038
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:39 am According to Telegraph, it'll either be Cheika or Cotter.

My preference would be firmly with Cotter, and hasn't Cheika got World Cup commitmemts with Argentina?
Yes he does have world cup commitments.

HOWEVER, he has also coached two teams before. While Argentina coach he was also Lebanon Rugby League Coach.

And due to the delay in the Rugby League world cup, Lebanon's world cup clashed with Argentina in the AI's in 2022.

Lebanon finished a creditable 2nd in their group behind New Zealand, and were knocked out in the ¼'s by Australia, their best performance at a World Cup. At the same time Cheika led Argentina to a victory over England at Twickenham.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:33 pm Either the RFU have only just come for WW or our CEO lied to Radio Leicester.
I believe we were told porkies
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity