Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by RunTigerRun »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:25 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:21 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:10 pm

I’m sure there will be no shortage of candidates but as you say it is about finding a suitable replacement.
There was a discussion a little while back about the relative lack of success that that Kiwi coaches have had in the premiership, so my preference would be a British coach.

Pivac
Diamond
Gustard
Worsley.
I think Wiggy is enjoying the craic in Munster to return.
Pivac is a Kiwi.
Thank you I honestly didn’t know that.
No worries! Easy mistake to make as I can't recall hearing him speak and he has seemingly been in Wales for a while with the Scarlets and Wales.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Nothing to add about whatever might happen but just want to say that I am gutted, absolutely gutted. SB has been phenomenal for us and to realise that he will be leaving so soon fills me with sadness. I can only hope we get an inspirational replacement.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Pivac was with Auckland (Non Super Rugby Team) if I remember correctly before he came over...possibly some coaching with Fiji.

He wouldn't be the worst appointment, his time at the Scarlets was pretty good.
Did any of the other Welsh Coaches get binned this week?

As for SB he has basically just about done half a job at Tigers, you could look at it & say Tigers have been played.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:10 pm Pivac was with Auckland (Non Super Rugby Team) if I remember correctly before he came over...possibly some coaching with Fiji.

He wouldn't be the worst appointment, his time at the Scarlets was pretty good.
Did any of the other Welsh Coaches get binned this week?

As for SB he has basically just about done half a job at Tigers, you could look at it & say Tigers have been played.
Maybe, maybe not. If there is this England clause in his contract then you could argue that they expected this day coming - just the timing is not what they expected.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigers need to play the RFU we are in a very strong position and must not cave in easily if at all
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I still think Diamond would do a good job for us.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Given our squad, management set-up, fan base and facilities I would have thought there were quite a few coaches, in or out of contract, who would be salivating at the prospect of the job. On target(ish) for top four and with passion to repeat last season's outcome....
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I hadn't thought it a reasonable possibility but could Razer Robertson from Crusaders be a viable option, NZRU don't seem interested and all the other T1 nations have coaches going into the next WC cycle it seems. He might think adding a foreign club will add enough to his CV to get that NZ job (not that it really helped Gatland/Schmit/Rennie etc)
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I hope we go all out for Robertson with some fairly attractive terms in hand using the RFU money from SB
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:46 pm I hadn't thought it a reasonable possibility but could Razer Robertson from Crusaders be a viable option, NZRU don't seem interested and all the other T1 nations have coaches going into the next WC cycle it seems. He might think adding a foreign club will add enough to his CV to get that NZ job (not that it really helped Gatland/Schmit/Rennie etc)
Beat me to it! 😆
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

If RFU don’t go for Robertson, he must be fair game for us
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Loob19 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:50 pm If RFU don’t go for Robertson, he must be fair game for us
"The Crusaders head coach is contracted until the end of 2024, but has a clause which allows him to take an international job if he is not offered the All Blacks position by the end of the 2023 Rugby World Cup."

While it would be nice I imagine any attempt to get him will be rebuffed until the end of the world cup when NZR absolutely have to make a decision.

The quote is from this article
https://www.planetrugby.com/news/all-bl ... -to-rivals
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Same with Sinfield, Wiggs and Aled - if they want to leave to join SB then whilst compensation will be due, the contract won’t be worth the paper it’s written on.

Once someone decides to leave there isn’t much you can do - force someone to stay when they aren’t happy?

Look at other sports - if never ends well
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

wigworth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:00 pm
Loob19 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:50 pm If RFU don’t go for Robertson, he must be fair game for us
"The Crusaders head coach is contracted until the end of 2024, but has a clause which allows him to take an international job if he is not offered the All Blacks position by the end of the 2023 Rugby World Cup."

While it would be nice I imagine any attempt to get him will be rebuffed until the end of the world cup when NZR absolutely have to make a decision.

There would have to be a contingency where he could leave if offered the AB job. If he wanted a club job then there would be offers in France and Japan likely to dwarf anything we could offer.

The guy who push him hard for the Super Rugby title last time out however, he might be interested.
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

wigworth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:00 pm

Fair play - would a great catch though, I’ll keep dreaming 😃