Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by RagingBull »

TBF tigersmatters he clearly knows some people in rugby.

He gave the word about the barbarians playing us again in 2014 before anyone else knew here, and that was from sources within the barbarians.

Granted I also heard about Gregor so of course I will side with him haha
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Haha think someone is trying it on. Willing to have a bet with anyone it’s not Gregor Townsend.
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

I have everything crossed its notTownsend :smt013
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

PJM wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:41 pm I have everything crossed its notTownsend :smt013
Why so?
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:15 am
PJM wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:41 pm I have everything crossed its notTownsend :smt013
Why so?
I think Townsend could be quite good, as long as we have a very good set of forwards / scrum coaches to help him.

I think our scrum / forwards need some serious help at the moment! Great players but are just not "jelling".
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

If you were to say to me Gregor Townsend comes in, and brings Geoff Parling (Forwards/Line Out), Joe Worsley (Defence/Breakdown), and a new scrum coach whilst retaining Smith and Deacon, I'd bite your hand off.

Geoff is getting rave reviews down under and is currently with the Rebels.
Joe was highly rated in France and is currently with Ampthill.

Gregor would be able to give the coaches instructions and get his plans in place prior to returning from the World Cup.

Whilst Geoff and Joe might be a pipe dream, I think that's what we need to be targeting. A Head Coach who can start getting the pieces into place, who fully takes over the reigns post world cup whilst the coaches install his methodology.

If I was a betting man, I'd still say the favourite for the job despite the results is Wigglesworth.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

As I've said Scotland have a fantastic set piece and a very miserly defence, Gregor Townsend knows what he's doing!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There may well be international coaches who have decided that the world cup will be the end of their reign (and perhaps some who will have that decided for them).
Those who are leaving by choice will likely tell their nations that in advance so that they can plan for the future and also sound out their next employment. How public that gets is guesswork.

For me England should have sounded out Sean Edwards as the post World Cup replacement for Jones before he signed to stay with France. I fear he may well be the Brian Clough of rugby union. Obviously sacking Jones when they did really limited the available options.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:33 am
For me England should have sounded out Sean Edwards as the post World Cup replacement for Jones before he signed to stay with France.
Who says they didn't? There was an article done with the guy charged with succession planning by the RFU and he said he talked to a lot of coaches and was keeping tabs on north of a hundred both here and overseas.

Edwards is apparently settled in the South of France with his family. He may not have wanted the hassle of moving back to England with his family and the scrutiny of the media, without a larger fee than the RFU were offering anyway.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:47 pm
mol2 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:33 am
For me England should have sounded out Sean Edwards as the post World Cup replacement for Jones before he signed to stay with France.
Who says they didn't? There was an article done with the guy charged with succession planning by the RFU and he said he talked to a lot of coaches and was keeping tabs on north of a hundred both here and overseas.

Edwards is apparently settled in the South of France with his family. He may not have wanted the hassle of moving back to England with his family and the scrutiny of the media, without a larger fee than the RFU were offering anyway.
England did sound out Edwards apparently
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:01 am If you were to say to me Gregor Townsend comes in, and brings Geoff Parling (Forwards/Line Out), Joe Worsley (Defence/Breakdown), and a new scrum coach whilst retaining Smith and Deacon, I'd bite your hand off.

Gregor would be able to give the coaches instructions and get his plans in place prior to returning from the World Cup.

Whilst Geoff and Joe might be a pipe dream, I think that's what we need to be targeting. A Head Coach who can start getting the pieces into place, who fully takes over the reigns post world cup whilst the coaches install his methodology.

If I was a betting man, I'd still say the favourite for the job despite the results is Wigglesworth.
Completely agree with all of this. That WW would be the favourite would be in line with the history of Tigers' recruitment of Head Coaches in the last 10 (at least) years, but I would hope the board would have also learnt from these mistakes.

That said, if we were to keep WW and have the other coaches you listed, then i would be quite a happy chappie.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:01 am If you were to say to me Gregor Townsend comes in, and brings Geoff Parling (Forwards/Line Out), Joe Worsley (Defence/Breakdown), and a new scrum coach whilst retaining Smith and Deacon, I'd bite your hand off.

Sadly it is exactly what I fear. Because Tigers have proved time and time again that as long as us loyal supporters continue to spend our hard earned cash despite the dross rugby and league position then the club will spend and do as little as they can to replace Borthwick and Sinfield. Its criminal that we face being exactly where we started when Borthwick arrived.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:32 pm

Sadly it is exactly what I fear. Because Tigers have proved time and time again that as long as us loyal supporters continue to spend our hard earned cash despite the dross rugby and league position then the club will spend and do as little as they can to replace Borthwick and Sinfield. Its criminal that we face being exactly where we started when Borthwick arrived.
I'm sorry but that is absolute nonsense Sapajo. What top quality coach that was available and wanted to come to Leicester when Steve & Kev left, that Leicester overlooked? Let's hear it. It is very easy to throw pop shots at the club, so let's hear some suggestions whom Tigers overlooked when giving the interim role to Wiggy. With some evidence as well that we did not sound them out.

If this is all one big conspiracy from the start to do this on the cheap and give it to Wiggy long-term, why did we sound out Lancaster in the summer? Why have we interviewed McFarland? Why is Townsend such a leading candidate for the job? If it was always going to be Wiggy because he is cheap, why have we paid a load of money to Oval Insights to search for a new HC? We are undergoing an interview process, with candidates interviewing for the job, both internal and external. If Wiggy gets the job, he would be a risk as it is probably too early for him, but at least we have gone through an interview process to get there.

The club is not immune from criticism, but some of the stuff lobbed at the club is getting silly. If we as fans are being screwed over by Wiggy being named Interim, let's hear the evidence that backs that up.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:43 pm

I'm sorry but that is absolute nonsense Sapajo. What top quality coach that was available and wanted to come to Leicester when Steve & Kev left, that Leicester overlooked? Let's hear it. It is very easy to throw pop shots at the club, so let's hear some suggestions whom Tigers overlooked when giving the interim role to Wiggy. With some evidence as well that we did not sound them out.

If this is all one big conspiracy from the start to do this on the cheap and give it to Wiggy long-term, why did we sound out Lancaster in the summer? Why have we interviewed McFarland? Why is Townsend such a leading candidate for the job? If it was always going to be Wiggy because he is cheap, why have we paid a load of money to Oval Insights to search for a new HC? We are undergoing an interview process, with candidates interviewing for the job, both internal and external. If Wiggy gets the job, he would be a risk as it is probably too early for him, but at least we have gone through an interview process to get there.

The club is not immune from criticism, but some of the stuff lobbed at the club is getting silly. If we as fans are being screwed over by Wiggy being named Interim, let's hear the evidence that backs that up.
Totally agree but there again certain posters like nothing better than a good moan.
A2O
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:43 pm

Good post.

I'm not sure why "the club" would even want to do it on the cheap at the expense of quality or results. This isn't a money making business so the implication that supporters are being exploited by the club is ridiculous.