Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by baz1664 »

The ruck saying Gregor Townsend hot favourite for tigers job.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

The ruck is rarely accurate .
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:50 am The ruck is rarely accurate .
Just parroting other people's articles in this case. Seems it came out north of the border and then the Rugby Paper also ran it on the front page.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

baz1664 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:41 am
tigerburnie wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:25 am I'd sooner be looking at someone who is successful rather than people who have failed, we don't need other peoples cast offs.
It’s very rare a coach has a 100% success rate throughout their career, look at Stuart Lancaster, dreadful with England but outstanding with Leinster.

Someone like Rennie has excelled at the Chiefs and Glasgow. He inherited an Aussie team on the transition and I am not sure how EJ is going to galvanise that team into anything special.
Lancaster isn't a good example imo,he's in the background at Leinster with no pressure. He's just part of their coaching team. Great addition to your coaching staff don't get me wrong,but not a number 1. Have a feeling he will be found out at R92
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Only 7 Tigers named by Borthwick phew...............

Jack van Poortvliet
Ben Youngs
Dan Kelly
Dan Cole
Ollie Chessum
Joe Heyes
Freddie Steward
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
peteD

Post by peteD »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:46 am Only 7 Tigers named by Borthwick phew...............

Jack van Poortvliet
Ben Youngs
Dan Kelly
Dan Cole
Ollie Chessum
Joe Heyes
Freddie Steward
Could have been worse! But still our 1st & 2nd choice players in two positions being taken by England
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

peteD wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:30 am
sapajo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:46 am Only 7 Tigers named by Borthwick phew...............

Jack van Poortvliet
Ben Youngs
Dan Kelly
Dan Cole
Ollie Chessum
Joe Heyes
Freddie Steward
Could have been worse! But still our 1st & 2nd choice players in two positions being taken by England
I really expect Heyes to get released to us at least on the bye week games (so Sarries & Bath)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:36 am
peteD wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:30 am

Jack van Poortvliet
Ben Youngs
Dan Kelly
Dan Cole
Ollie Chessum
Joe Heyes
Freddie Steward
I really expect Heyes to get released to us at least on the bye week games (so Sarries & Bath)
You would have thought he was behind Cole and Sinclair but he was excellent against Clermont. Got some of his mojo back.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Jonno Gibbes released
Our win last Friday throws us another name to conjure with.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:54 pm Jonno Gibbes released
Our win last Friday throws us another name to conjure with.
Gibbs would be a great forwards coach to have alongside Townsend.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

With the news of Eddie Jones taking over in Australia, there may be an opportunity for us to look at some of their coaches involved with them. Wisemantel left last week, presumably because he got a heads up Eddie was taking over and he didn't want to go through all that again - he would be an outstanding pick up to run the attack. Also a certain Geoff Parling was doing some forwards coaching under Rennie, and was apparently doing a decent job. With the momentum pointing towards Townsend, we will need a forwards coach next season, I'd be looking at Parling to come in.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Keep Wigglesworth and get him the coaches he wants.
I’m not that keen on not having continuity going into the World Cup season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:12 pm Keep Wigglesworth and get him the coaches he wants.
I’m not that keen on not having continuity going into the World Cup season.
Rennie or Townsend instead of WW is a very easy choice for me! But that's not to say I wouldn't like to keep WW in some capacity
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

WW as head coach with Townsend or Rennie as DoR would seem a good option. WW needs experience and I would not want him to have the trajectory Georgian Murphy had.
The stock of different coaches rise and falls. Dean Ryan or Rob Baxter have been front runners for the England job at other times and SB is taking his opportunity. I think it is very early form him. People report Wiggie is a talented coach but he is not very experienced so I hope he would be prepared to be guided by someone else.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

You have to think that there is a plan for Wigglesworth to have a position at the club in some capacity. I cannot see him agreeing to hang up his boots on the off chance that he may be eimployed at the end of the season. Now, I suppose the pland could have been retirement at the end of this campaign anyway and so taking the job now gives him some experience if he has to go into the employment market, or he has a role with England tied up post Tigers but I just cannot see him retiring without some career options already tied up.