Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by jgriffin »

To be honest, I'm too gutted to bother speculating any more. Really fed up. If we tumble down the table it'll be even worse. The only thing that would cheer me up is a proper good set of international standard coaches with Walters stopping.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I empathise entirely. I draw scant comfort from the twitter stating the Times reporting that Tigers are demanding £2M in compensation if they wish to poach our coaching team.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Tigers should wait and get the right man. Learn the lessons from Borthwick. Get a current assistant international coach- O’Connell, great shout- and start again.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

JeffBadland wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:32 am I've always assumed the reason we managed to secure Waters and Sinfield was the promise that Borthwick would take them with him when he was inevitably appointed by England. It was always my assumption that the club were aware of this and the recruitment of Wigglesworth (and possibly Gopperth) was contingency planning on our part.
This is something I’ve always thought too.
To get Walters to leave an international coaching role, the reigning world champions no less. To get Sinfield to leave a role as DoR at a club where he is a legend, to cross codes to be defence coach. Seems like, even with Tigers tinted glasses, they both stepped down a level in role, so I’ve always assumed it was part of a long term plan to build a coaching panel that would move as a unit. Taylor leaving head coach role in Aussie club rugby, one step down from Super Rugby should have been the final piece of the puzzle.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

We shall never know but what does it matter as Tigers are now left facing a mid season mass coaching exodus thanks to the RFU. We do know that was never planned neither was what are we going to do about it.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I still don’t get why we’d want Gustard or Diamond. Neither did very well as head coaches! Sale under Sanderson are a far more dangerous side! In fact, Sanderson, good coach, same sort of thinker as Borthwick!
As other have said, no point rushing but the powers that be should be putting together a short list now.
Now it in the players we trust.
We need Pollard fit in January then let’s go and surprise the rest of the Premiership!
Come on Tigers: sorry but stuff the RFU.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So for me Coaches I like who IMO are gettable
International head coaches who I think will be free by end of Rugby world cup
1. Michael Cheika
2. Dave Rennie
3. Kieran Crowley
4. Wayne Pivac
5. John Plumtree (NZ Forwards coach)
6. Paul O'Connell (Ire forwards coach)

Honestly John Dobson is someone I really rate, typical SA coach has a big pack but the backs play good rugby,
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Ian Cant wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:35 pm I still don’t get why we’d want Gustard or Diamond. Neither did very well as head coaches! Sale under Sanderson are a far more dangerous side! In fact, Sanderson, good coach, same sort of thinker as Borthwick!
As other have said, no point rushing but the powers that be should be putting together a short list now.
Now it in the players we trust.
We need Pollard fit in January then let’s go and surprise the rest of the Premiership!
Come on Tigers: sorry but stuff the RFU.

I think......yeah.....I do sometimes. That this affair has only served to widen the gulf between my allegiance to club and Country.

The country makes a right horlicks of the national coaching situation, allowing a coach to persist with outdated selections and tactics without correction. Then when it finally dawns on them that the plot has been lost, assuming it was ever owned in the first place, They rip the guts out of their champion side by ripping out their coach, potentially the assistant coaches and potentially a longer list of the playing staff.

God give me strength!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

If I were Borthwick, I would absolutely want Sir Kev with me. However, whilst I don't know him, if I were Sir Kev, given the choice right now between the poison chalice of England or head coach at the premiership champions, I know which I would go for.........🤞🤞🤞🤞
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

England is not a poisoned chalice. Jones has done poorly for two years but he was excellent before that. Rowell and Cooke had excellent records.

England’s issue is choosing the wrong coach. Robinson- poor and proven to be so
Johnno- no experience (not like Borthwick at all- Borthwick has over a decade of coaching experience at both club and international level- including the Lions)
Lancaster- no track record of success prior to England.
Woodward- he did ok didn’t he!

England have botched Jones leaving and the rfu is not well run but the England job has plenty to offer in terms of players and resources. I don’t think Edwards, Townsend, Farrell would have failed with England as Head Coach? I don’t think so.

Borthwick may turn out to be the best coach tigers have ever had (when looking at his career record in twenty years) I am sad he is leaving and will be cross if Waters and Sinfield leave now, but it was always going to come to an end.

Tigers have to look forward now, tough as that may be.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

I do wonder if Wiggy may be an option. Tigers blood and done a pretty good job with Munster
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I'm pretty sure that when Sinfield left Rhinos they were not doing very well, and his time as DOR was coming to an end because of that.

Legendary players do not always make great DOR's or something....
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:14 pm To be honest, I'm too gutted to bother speculating any more. Really fed up. If we tumble down the table it'll be even worse. The only thing that would cheer me up is a proper good set of international standard coaches with Walters stopping.
+1
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

If Robertson IS available NOW, get him to TIGERS PDQ Don't waste the 2 Million get him here.
He is well proven as a coach and widely admired.
He is the stand out coach in world rugby and if England don't want him, we as sure do.
If Borths is going that is!
A life long Tiger
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:14 pm To be honest, I'm too gutted to bother speculating any more. Really fed up. If we tumble down the table it'll be even worse. The only thing that would cheer me up is a proper good set of international standard coaches with Walters stopping.
I can't think of a Welshmen ever to have helped in the England set up (can anybody??!!) and I would be very surprised if he wanted to work for England. Maybe I am just clutching at straws...

I share your sentiments. Assuming we bring on a decent, international standard coaching setup including Walters, I will be happy. If the Tigers' board do anything like in the 10 years or so before Borthwick, I will be worried.