Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by Smudge »

Two sources reporting tonight that Tigers have rejected the RFU's offer for SB.
A life long Tiger
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

If you think of the possible financial value to Tigers of the improved performance of the team and more trophies compensation does seem appropriate
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Smudge wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:09 pm Two sources reporting tonight that Tigers have rejected the RFU's offer for SB.
For Borthwick specifically or for Borthwick and the coaches?
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Radio 4 suggesting announcement will be next week now.
Tacticalbeard
Tiger Cub

Post by Tacticalbeard »

wigworth wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:38 am
Smudge wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:09 pm Two sources reporting tonight that Tigers have rejected the RFU's offer for SB.
Was also going to put this question up too :smt001
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

RFU can have them for free end of season but at least it gives us a half a year to sort out replacements
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Tacticalbeard wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:17 am
wigworth wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:38 am
Was also going to put this question up too :smt001
From what I have found it is about Borthwick specifically, apparently Tigers want £500k and the RFU have offered £200K. Although I can't see where it says any offers have been out right rejected just that there is difference in the amounts between the two.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

For what it's worth, my source tells me the following

* Tigers have been in open dialogue with RFU about this for a while (+12 months) - plan was always end of season
* Tigers have a succession plan which will start from the end of the current season ahead of next season (regrettably would not be drawn on who/what/when and claims they do not know the details)
* New news is the sacking of EJ which before the Autumn was not being considered at all
* Leave a likely interim set up for both Eng and Tigers - however because the original plan did not include compensation, this is now causing issues. RFU did not think this part of their plan through which is incredible but sadly very believable.

So main take from that chat is that this was always happening and succession plans are in place - SB and new team would have shadowed EJ through the RWC and then taken over in time for 6N 2024. This plan is in tatters because of EJ sacking - in short, a mess......
Less is more....
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Bunchy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:30 am For what it's worth, my source tells me the following

* Tigers have been in open dialogue with RFU about this for a while (+12 months) - plan was always end of season
* Tigers have a succession plan which will start from the end of the current season ahead of next season (regrettably would not be drawn on who/what/when and claims they do not know the details)
* New news is the sacking of EJ which before the Autumn was not being considered at all
* Leave a likely interim set up for both Eng and Tigers - however because the original plan did not include compensation, this is now causing issues. RFU did not think this part of their plan through which is incredible but sadly very believable.

So main take from that chat is that this was always happening and succession plans are in place - SB and new team would have shadowed EJ through the RWC and then taken over in time for 6N 2024. This plan is in tatters because of EJ sacking - in short, a mess......
Reading between the lines this is what I had gathered.
What has caused the issue is the RFU acting decisively for once in their lives and getting rid of Jones. Unfortunately they have now reverted to type and are wanting Borthwick et al on the cheap.
I can still see a scenario where Borthwick stays with Tigers and starts with England June 1st.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Personally, I'd be happy with a decent copensation payout, say 1m, and letting them go now. Obviously that kind depends on if KS, AW et al were part of the end pf season restructure or not. which it doesnt sound they were from what Bunchy said ^^

Regardless of who or who isn't going at the end of the season, this season has started as a mess and is probably going to finish as a mess so I'm not really bothered who is in charge anymore. Deacs can see the season out for us I reckon.

Would be hillarious if they brought Geordan back and we got to the final of both comps!!..... :smt005
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If the club have already identified a new preferred Head Honcho for next season I suppose it would depend on if they available now, if not we wait till they are & muddle through till then with maybe someone "senior" just coming in to be an overseer.
Or if the RFU won't play ball we don't release anyone, the RFU weren't very helpful when SB came to us so stuff em.
Where Leigh Jones is in all of this is another matter.
Whatever happens to prevent a farcical rest of the season it needs sorting out next week.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

This whole thing just sums up the RFU. You really would think that they would have asked what compensation we were seeking, what releases we would agree to etc before sacking Jones but no, We now have this mess and uncertainty.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

Now read into it what you will, call it speculation but Leo Cullen has been banded about and his contract is up at the end of the year.... on November 3rd this year he put his house up for sale. easy to find just google Leo Cullen house?
Is there something in it who knows.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

PeteK wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:28 am Now read into it what you will, call it speculation but Leo Cullen has been banded about and his contract is up at the end of the year.... on November 3rd this year he put his house up for sale. easy to find just google Leo Cullen house?
If people are upset about losing a coach to a international team then surely Cullen is likely one of the next cabs of the rank for Ireland if they ever come calling. I am also not overly convinced him and Lancaster were the reason for that teams success.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

PeteK wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:28 am Now read into it what you will, call it speculation but Leo Cullen has been banded about and his contract is up at the end of the year.... on November 3rd this year he put his house up for sale. easy to find just google Leo Cullen house?
Something was posted about him moving to the IRFU but I assume that is based in Dublin where Leinster play