Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by wigworth »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:22 pm
wigworth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:00 pm
Loob19 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:50 pm If RFU don’t go for Robertson, he must be fair game for us
"The Crusaders head coach is contracted until the end of 2024, but has a clause which allows him to take an international job if he is not offered the All Blacks position by the end of the 2023 Rugby World Cup."

While it would be nice I imagine any attempt to get him will be rebuffed until the end of the world cup when NZR absolutely have to make a decision.

The quote is from this article
https://www.planetrugby.com/news/all-bl ... -to-rivals
There would have to be a contingency where he could leave if offered the AB job. If he wanted a club job then there would be offers in France and Japan likely to dwarf anything we could offer.

The guy who push him hard for the Super Rugby title last time out however, he might be interested.
This is very true about the club jobs and maybe something we don't appreciate enough that maybe French club jobs are generaly more attractive than Prem jobs.

I am not that familiar with Macdonald so I don't have an opinion on him but given the Blues were basement dwellers for quite a while he must have done something good there.
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

Loob19 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:50 pm If RFU don’t go for Robertson, he must be fair game for us
"The Crusaders head coach is contracted until the end of 2024, but has a clause which allows him to take an international job if he is not offered the All Blacks position by the end of the 2023 Rugby World Cup."

While it would be nice I imagine any attempt to get him will be rebuffed until the end of the world cup when NZR absolutely have to make a decision.

There would have to be a contingency where he could leave if offered the AB job. If he wanted a club job then there would be offers in France and Japan likely to dwarf anything we could offer.

The guy who push him hard for the Super Rugby title last time out however, he might be interested.
Leon MacDonald?
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

Why no clamouring for McCall? He is in charge of the most (ahem) successful English team of the past decade, with a retinue of English players in his squad. What’s not to like?

I guess the RFU can’t afford him.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TiltonTiger wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:53 pm Why no clamouring for McCall? He is in charge of the most (ahem) successful English team of the past decade, with a retinue of English players in his squad. What’s not to like?

£32m buyout clause I read,but surely a typo?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

I just hope we don't rush into appointing someone and we hold out for a top top quality coach and fleece the RFU for every penny and go splash on someone big. Also like someone said, feels like we've been played if he goes. He's hardly been here. We knew he was likely lined up for England but this is very early imo. He might be a one big season wonder for all we know. This year has been a mix so far. Who really knows.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerReggie wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:12 pm I just hope we don't rush into appointing someone and we hold out for a top top quality coach and fleece the RFU for every penny and go splash on someone big. Also like someone said, feels like we've been played if he goes. He's hardly been here. We knew he was likely lined up for England but this is very early imo. He might be a one big season wonder for all we know. This year has been a mix so far. Who really knows.
Good points especially given the appalling track record we have of appointing Head Coaches pre Borthwick.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Not sure we can fleece the RFU for very much, and how big do you think we can get?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigersunited wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:35 pm Not sure we can fleece the RFU for very much, and how big do you think we can get?
As I have said before on here the RFU are in a weak position unless Borthwick has an early release clause. A seven figure sum is what we should minimally demand.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:56 pm
TiltonTiger wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:53 pm Why no clamouring for McCall? He is in charge of the most (ahem) successful English team of the past decade, with a retinue of English players in his squad. What’s not to like?

Must be a long contract if that number is correct! Lol
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Gutted and betrayed. Eddie should have gone a long time ago.

I'm now officially Irish. I can drink Guinness and play the banjo. Qualification enough.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Surely we don’t, as one poster suggested, want Diamond or Gustard?
Gustard didn’t do very well at Quins and Diamond! Really.
I’m not sure the RFU would agree to Super Kev having lots of time off to do his charity work and to be honest our defence has been very poor this season!
Leo Cullen!
Not easy mid season and even worse is because Borthwick will want a team of players we can trust he could well take JVP, Youngs, Heyes, Cole, Watson,Steward, Porter, Kelly, Chessum and Martin to the World Cup!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

wigworth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:34 pm

This is very true about the club jobs and maybe something we don't appreciate enough that maybe French club jobs are generaly more attractive than Prem jobs.

I am not that familiar with Macdonald so I don't have an opinion on him but given the Blues were basement dwellers for quite a while he must have done something good there.
Selected to coach NZ XV against Ireland A. Led the Blues to their first win in Christchurch since 2004. Tipped by Kirwan to be the future of AB coaching along with Robertson. Transformed the Blues bringing through some young players along the way.

If he were going for an innovative coach looking to drive us on then he'd be a good shout. Much like Borthers he'd be at Tigers looking to increase his stock in order to get an international job in the future.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:15 pm Surely we don’t, as one poster suggested, want Diamond or Gustard?
I’m not sure the RFU would agree to Super Kev having lots of time off to do his charity work and to be honest our defence has been very poor this season!
Leo Cullen!
Not easy mid season and even worse is because Borthwick will want a team of players we can trust he could well take JVP, Youngs, Heyes, Cole, Watson,Steward, Porter, Kelly, Chessum and Martin to the World Cup!
Is Leo Cullen a suggestion for coach?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:47 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:56 pm

Must be a long contract if that number is correct! Lol
😂 here's the link
https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/n ... on-2012084
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:15 pm Surely we don’t, as one poster suggested, want Diamond or Gustard?
Leo Cullen!
What have you got against Diamond, he is a bit of a rough diamond but so what, i think he speaks his mind and is open in what he says.?