Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by trendylfj »

What would concern me if we kept WW as our head coach is that I am not sure that he has (at present) enough credibility as a head coach to attract the top-quality players as SB did. A head coach with a proven track record in improving players, who has the status in the game, and with the available players coming to the end of their contracts in other clubs is so important. I really hope WW proves to have those qualities but he will not have very long to do so before the board appoints his successor. I am also sure that the process has already begun so time is very short for him.
Hehehehehehehehe
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wigglesworth has a very high standing in the game, though not yet as a coach. Those that comment say his knowledge of the game is 2nd to none, and he will continue to develop. I have no doubt that if he is surrounded by the right people he will be very successful, and as much as they are disliked by some on here, another to come out of that Saracens stable.

As for incoming players I think the Tigers Club/ brand is enough to attract players, as well as the package being important. You only have to look at some of the recent signings made by Irish and Newcastle, to realise that winning trophies isn’t necessarily at the top of a players agenda
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Agree with Rugbygramps, when it comes to recruitment the Tigers brand, a regular 20 thousand crowd should attract any player supposing the wage on offer is sufficient. The game is results led and more matches like our last game will see Wiggy confirmed in the role. With the current management in place there is no place for a D.O.R so the job vacancy is Head Coach who will then put in place his own coaching staff just as Borthwick is doing with England.
My concern at the moment is what is happening with Bret Deacon is he being sidelined after several years of loyal service in a coaching role for under different Head coaches?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I also think although not completed that it is highly likely that say ⅔ of the player signings for next season may well be done just not announced.

Certainly based on rumours we have at least one major signing incoming
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:01 am I also think although not completed that it is highly likely that say ⅔ of the player signings for next season may well be done just not announced.

Andrea said recently that the majority of recruitment for next season is already done. Hope for Hassell-Collins, Bassett , The ex-Worcester full back/Fly half(can’t remember his name) , retain Watson and a top quality prop.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

How do we know Borths isn't taking WW with him too and he's not just here until end of season?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:20 am How do we know Borths isn't taking WW with him too and he's not just here until end of season?
Andrea said he’s in the mix for Head coach job so unlikely.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:00 am Agree with Rugbygramps, when it comes to recruitment the Tigers brand, a regular 20 thousand crowd should attract any player supposing the wage on offer is sufficient. The game is results led and more matches like our last game will see Wiggy confirmed in the role. With the current management in place there is no place for a D.O.R so the job vacancy is Head Coach who will then put in place his own coaching staff just as Borthwick is doing with England.
My concern at the moment is what is happening with Bret Deacon is he being sidelined after several years of loyal service in a coaching role for under different Head coaches?
JTG from tv pictures Deacon seems to have moved from pitch side, now sitting in the stand alongside Wigglesworth and Everard. Difficult to tell but would suggest that he may have moved up in the coaches pecking order.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

How is B.Deacon being sidelined?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:22 pm How is B.Deacon being sidelined?
Possible that he has moved up alongside Wiggy to provide advice during the game. With the part time appointment of Danny Wilson, Brett may be back pitchside - will have to wait till Friday!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Wigglesworth will attract very good players due to his amazing playing career.
Gregor Townsend could stay on as Scotland coach if they have a good World Cup.
I still think Wigglesworth has a difficult task especially as we are losing two props and two scrum halves to England let alone the others such as Reffell and Henderson.
If we beat Saints then Wigglesworth will have worked wonders.
I’m not sure any club, including Sarries would cope with losing their coaches and top players to England, Wales and Scotland.
I’m eternally grateful to Richard Wigglesworth for giving up, possibly his last season as a player to help keep my beloved Tigers afloat.
Can we all get behind him and the team at this incredibly challenging time.
Come on Tigers.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:13 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:01 am I also think although not completed that it is highly likely that say ⅔ of the player signings for next season may well be done just not announced.

Andrea said recently that the majority of recruitment for next season is already done. Hope for Hassell-Collins, Bassett , The ex-Worcester full back/Fly half(can’t remember his name) , retain Watson and a top quality prop.
Shillcock. Now in Japan.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

Totally agree. I think he's ;pretty much nailed down as head honcho . Worries me a little but let's get behind him.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:00 am My concern at the moment is what is happening with Bret Deacon is he being sidelined after several years of loyal service in a coaching role for under different Head coaches?
The argument would be that time-served doesn't mean someone is the right person to be promoted into a higher role. In fact, it's more than an argument, generally it's fact. Time served in isolation of any other assessment is not a good indicator.