Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by westwinds31 »

anz3001 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:17 pm There we go, a few people can sleep better tonight knowing that the interim won’t become the permanent…
Oh yes, he doesn’t cut it as a head coach, after one game !
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Soggypitch wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:08 pm Well we'll certainly be starting with a clean slate next season........just hope this season doesn't peter out for us.
Unless it’s Townsend, in which case he’ll be in after the RWC and won’t get a pre-season until 2024.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

watsonjm wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:18 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:15 pm One thing does perplex me slightly in all this house of cards/Game of Thrones moving. We have been successful for half and a bit season, with the Euro final and winning the Premiership final. How is that we have been rinsed butthe RFU and Sarries and Exeter to the same extent have been left alone by the RFU? They have cleaned up more or less for the last 10 years. What makes Borthwick and Co more desirable and better than Macall or Baxter?
It’s all done now but seems we have been the launch pad for Borthwick and Co.
I have faith in Andrea, she and the club will have some signature on a contract. She strikes me as far to astute not to have played a blinder.
Haven't they both said they don't want the job?
That is my understanding. They seemed happy driving success at clubs they felt a part of. Not everyone is the same.
As Good As It Gets
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:44 pm Townsend or McFarland for me
As per my previous, Andrea seems to have said that whoever comes it will be for next season with no transition inferring Townsend is out of the frame.
As Good As It Gets
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scuttle wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:08 pm
As per my previous, Andrea seems to have said that whoever comes it will be for next season with no transition inferring Townsend is out of the frame.
I wouldn't say off the table this is her quote
Leicester Tigers is not a club that is interested in having a transition period and are firmly focused on ensuring that this club has the very best coaching available to our players to deliver success on the pitch for our supporters, partners and community.
For me that's saying they do NOT want next season to be a write off. If we have a full coaching setup with a confirmed DOR who knows and trusts the team below him who are in place and spends a chunk (but not all of preseason) with the squad. Lets face it the preseason is not what clashes with the World Cup.

For me it means if we DO have a current international coach then we have some release clause for at least part of preseason in there.

I say it makes Townsend less likely, but not impossible.

There's also the rumour that the SRU are wanting rid of Townsend post 6N. Maybe they want Cotter back? There are ways he can be in the mix just unlikely ways
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:18 pm
Scuttle wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:08 pm
I wouldn't say off the table this is her quote
Leicester Tigers is not a club that is interested in having a transition period and are firmly focused on ensuring that this club has the very best coaching available to our players to deliver success on the pitch for our supporters, partners and community.
For me that's saying they do NOT want next season to be a write off. If we have a full coaching setup with a confirmed DOR who knows and trusts the team below him who are in place and spends a chunk (but not all of preseason) with the squad. Lets face it the preseason is not what clashes with the World Cup.

For me it means if we DO have a current international coach then we have some release clause for at least part of preseason in there.

I say it makes Townsend less likely, but not impossible.

There's also the rumour that the SRU are wanting rid of Townsend post 6N. Maybe they want Cotter back? There are ways he can be in the mix just unlikely ways
I may be reading too much into the "from next season" phrase which to me is from the beginning. If the SRU want him to leave I would be happy to see him here.
As Good As It Gets
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

I can’t see Townsend coming before the World Cup. Shame, as he would be my first pick.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Wiggy going must mean they have told him he's not getting the job, was rumoured a few weeks ago it was Townsend post world cup, Leo Cullen also been mentioned in the past and pretty sure I saw Dave Rennie mentioned too.

I really want us to get Sam Vesty in from Saints to run the attack, if that meant him as HC with a DOR running the show then that would be good in my opinion
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:59 pm Wiggy going must mean they have told him he's not getting the job, was rumoured a few weeks ago it was Townsend post world cup, Leo Cullen also been mentioned in the past and pretty sure I saw Dave Rennie mentioned too.

I really want us to get Sam Vesty in from Saints to run the attack, if that meant him as HC with a DOR running the show then that would be good in my opinion
Leo Cullen has signed at Leinster for another 2 years
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Tigersunited wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:54 am So, a few names being mentioned, all speculation, thought I would speculate a few of my own, who wondered who people would chose;

Wigglesworth
McFarland
Townsend
McDonald
Cheika
Erasmus
McCall
Vesty

I’d gor for Erasmus, controversial but brilliant, would be a hell of a ride…….
:smt031 :smt031

Ok I’ll take Wiggy out then. Does no one else fancy the rassiemataz of a proven World Cup winning coach?
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:59 pm Wiggy going must mean they have told him he's not getting the job, was rumoured a few weeks ago it was Townsend post world cup, Leo Cullen also been mentioned in the past and pretty sure I saw Dave Rennie mentioned too.

Can’t see Vesty moving, unless it’s to England. Just we’re all very one eyed supporters, doesn’t mean ex players are
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigersunited wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:13 pm
Tigersunited wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:54 am So, a few names being mentioned, all speculation, thought I would speculate a few of my own, who wondered who people would chose;

Wigglesworth
McFarland
Townsend
McDonald
Cheika
Erasmus
McCall
Vesty

I’d gor for Erasmus, controversial but brilliant, would be a hell of a ride…….
:smt031 :smt031

Ok I’ll take Wiggy out then. Does no one else fancy the rassiemataz of a proven World Cup winning coach?
Nope I don't want him near Tigers.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

I’ve said it all along…….Steve Diamond……
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

northerntiger wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:17 pm

Can’t see Vesty moving, unless it’s to England. Just we’re all very one eyed supporters, doesn’t mean ex players are
nothing to do with him being an ex-player of our and solely down to how his teams attack
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Telegraph as Cheika and Cotter as leading candidates. Cheika more likely. Borthwick may also take Tom Harrison.