Borthwick for England

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Borthwick for England

Post by fortysix »

It apparantly is pretty certain SB has/ is canvassed heavily for the England job. He might even have signed..
Question is, if we lose him now or at the end of the season, who on earth do we replace him and his coaching staff with ?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick for England

Post by RagingBull »

From the sounds of it in reports Robertson and ROG are now the favourites.
Also reports suggest Tigers are in taks with plenty of coaches in case he does go
TRP mentions Blues Head Coach Leon McDonald as one of them.

Who knows which coaches will stay and who would go with Borthwick. I don't quite get why all the coaches would go with him, and if they did well I guess replacements will be down who the new head coach would want.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I read a report saying Robertson is nailed on. Could it be true about Borths though and that's why we are performing as we are?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"I don't quite get why all the coaches would go with him"
Why not? Makes perfect sense to me and why wouldn't Borths accept the job on the strength of it? If i was Borths I would definitely be asking Sir Kev and Aled if they are in if he was to leave.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:48 pm "I don't quite get why all the coaches would go with him"
Why not? Makes perfect sense to me and why wouldn't Borths accept the job on the strength of it? If i was Borths I would definitely be asking Sir Kev and Aled if they are in if he was to leave.
Aled makes sense.
Sir Kev is he ready for International rugby?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:24 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:48 pm "I don't quite get why all the coaches would go with him"
Aled makes sense.
Sir Kev is he ready for International rugby?
I think so yes
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Still wonder about Aled & England.

Personally I don't think either Borthwick or Sinfield are ready, think Sinfield in particular would be bored with the lack of day to day stuff.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Personally I don't want Borths to get the England job. Firstly for selfish reasons,secondly I have a feeling he could just be EJ lite,locks at 6,still persevering with Farrell at 12,keeping the old guard in etc.
We don't need continuation we need a clearout, new eyes and a new broom. I've already written the RWC off ,its the next cycle for me now. Phasing out the old guard and getting in the likes of your Hills, Earl,Mercer, Chessums,Martin etc getting rid of the old,tired wingers and getting some speedsters in. Sorting the centre situation out,if you're being generous Ireland could put 3 international level MF out,Henshaw/Ringrose,McCloskey/Aki,Hume/Farrell. We can't even put one out in their right positions! I think Borths needs another cycle of domestic/European rugby before he's ready.
Last edited by Scott1 on Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Personally speaking, my belief is that Borthwick is an honest individual and he has signed on for the 'project' of returning Leicester to being a European powerhouse. This was evidenced, IMHO, by him turning down the Lions job. He will be realistic enough to know that winning one title does not make you an international standard coach. They (Tigers) have a long-term plan and Borthwick is aligned himself to that plan.

The RFU may have wanted him to be their man, but, I genuinely do see Borthwick turning the role down.

All speculation and all IMO, but I will be very, very surprised if he does take the job.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

In the (worst-case) scenario that Borthwick, Sinfield and Walters all leave for England, there'll be a BIG question for the board to answers about the future direction of the club. Borthwick has a very particular style. Would we want to sustain it? If so, I'm not sure a NZ coach would be a good fit.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:38 pm In the (worst-case) scenario that Borthwick, Sinfield and Walters all leave for England, there'll be a BIG question for the board to answers about the future direction of the club. Borthwick has a very particular style. Would we want to sustain it? If so, I'm not sure a NZ coach would be a good fit.
IMO the values that Borthwick has brought back to the club of family values, hard work, playing for the badge and your mates can be maintained no matter who is in charge and whatever the style of play any potential coach may choose to introduce
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:38 pm In the (worst-case) scenario that Borthwick, Sinfield and Walters all leave for England, there'll be a BIG question for the board to answers about the future direction of the club. Borthwick has a very particular style. Would we want to sustain it? If so, I'm not sure a NZ coach would be a good fit.
I was thinking about this earlier, has there ever been a NZ coach who has come to the Prem and been very successful? Not to dismiss anyone out of hand but stylistically Super Rugby and the Prem are very different and I not not sure coaching success in one would translate to the other.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:56 pm
I was thinking about this earlier, has there ever been a NZ coach who has come to the Prem and been very successful? Not to dismiss anyone out of hand but stylistically Super Rugby and the Prem are very different and I not not sure coaching success in one would translate to the other.
Boyd, Matherson(spelling)
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:02 pm
wigworth wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:56 pm
Boyd, Matherson(spelling)
Boyd didn't quite cut the mustard for me, decent enough but didn't win the league and didn't have enough success and I don't want us to go down the route of flash backline again with subpar forward pack. Matson the Quins coach? They won the Prem before he got there so the jury is out so far.
Last edited by wigworth on Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:22 pm Personally speaking, my belief is that Borthwick is an honest individual and he has signed on for the 'project' of returning Leicester to being a European powerhouse. This was evidenced, IMHO, by him turning down the Lions job. He will be realistic enough to know that winning one title does not make you an international standard coach. They (Tigers) have a long-term plan and Borthwick is aligned himself to that plan.

The RFU may have wanted him to be their man, but, I genuinely do see Borthwick turning the role down.

All speculation and all IMO, but I will be very, very surprised if he does take the job.
This is the closest to the truth in my opinion. We’re not a European powerhouse yet and we’ve won one Premiership title. If that constitutes a successful job and it directly leads to the England gig then my name’s Matt Hancock. I still say Borthwick has tasted the international stage already and it doesn’t fit with his day to day challenge of club rugby, neither would it appeal to his media profile.