Tigers v London Irish (H] - Sunday 27th November 2022 KO 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v London Irish (H] - Sunday 27th November 2022 KO 3pm

Post by sapajo »

Bringing on Atkinson to replace Nandolo on the wing when Burns was having a mare ball in hand sums up todays game for me. Ashton was poor he missed 2 tackles in a row on OHC that resulted in 2 tries for Irish and then ran like a headless chicken straight into Irish forwards and gave up a penalty for holding on as he ran away from support. If Jackson had not missed those 2 conversions we would have been toast giving up such a massive lead so easily was shockingly poor. We scraped the win by holding onto our minute lead which we failed to do against Bath and Exeter and came away with 5 points thats the big positive.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Really important win / 5 points in the context of the season. Second game in a row where we’ve seemed to almost stop playing in the second half. We seem to lack a bit of direction or game management; win a pen, turn down a kick at goal, kick to touch, win line out… attempt drop goal?! As a few have mentioned a handful seemed off the pace. Big week coming up, win at Ashton Gate and we’re right up there going into the business end (and we get to rejoice at the slight of a crying Pat Lam)
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Points on the board, learn from it and move on, no point in the blame game, everyone will be rusty and a bit off form with the gap in the fixtures.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Creatively we are a really poor side, it really isn't obvious if we are trying to play like last season with a 10 that isn't suited to that style or we just don't have any idea after the "Bosh " stage, we haven't stood still from last season we have regressed.
Yes we have missed some players but a fairly high percentage of those would have been known about pre season & we don't appeared to have planned for it.
The next few weeks will give us an idea of where we are but the games where Steward doesn't play is an issue now as our only competent wingers are Watson & Potter.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Pretty disappointing second half. I just feel that we're very one dimensional and vulnerable defensively. We battled hard but we looked sluggish in the second half.

On the flip side, I hope the rumours about Hassell-Collins are true, looks exactly what we need.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:15 pm Points on the board, learn from it and move on, no point in the blame game, everyone will be rusty and a bit off form with the gap in the fixtures.
Not everyone was rusty and those that were not won us the game
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

There’s loads that we don’t have this season that we had last.

Genge and Ford, both excellent and both knowing they were leaving clubs they ‘loved’ at the end of the season.
Moroni came to us after his club collapsed.
Ashton didn’t think he was going to play again

Tom and Tiff Youngs on the back of many players minds.

Young players that wanted to make a name for themselves.

Borthwick very much unproven. And despite all that we absolutely did over achieve last seasons. Stealing a handful of results.

This seasons, we’ve lost Genge, Ford and Moroni, 3 hugely influential players.
We’ve lost the control of Ford, thus far replaced with Freddie Burns creativity which has its place but, well, you know….

Those young players aren’t now making a name for themselves, they are premiership winners and fully fledged internationals. We miss them for a lot of the season. Not to mention the big injuries.

The fixture list was always difficult this year, never mind the stop start seasons.

Where we stole those wins last seasons, we’ve missed two that should have been ours this season, Exeter and Bath away.

Yes, we look somewhat disjointed/rusty and we look to be taking our foot off the gas when well ahead. Bath and Irish we thought we’d won by half time, and we sort of had, I’d be surprised if we do that again.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

We have only had 3 home games and 5 difficult away matches so the position in the table is good.
Irish may be bottom of the table but they have lost quite a few matches late on or by less than one score…..not easy opposition to playagainst.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:01 pm Bringing on Atkinson to replace Nandolo on the wing when Burns was having a mare ball in hand sums up todays game for me. Ashton was poor he missed 2 tackles in a row on OHC that resulted in 2 tries for Irish and then ran like a headless chicken straight into Irish forwards and gave up a penalty for holding on as he ran away from support. If Jackson had not missed those 2 conversions we would have been toast giving up such a massive lead so easily was shockingly poor. We scraped the win by holding onto our minute lead which we failed to do against Bath and Exeter and came away with 5 points thats the big positive.
We missed a conversion and a drop? If ifs and ands were pots and pans there'd be no more work for tinkers.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Indeed a very apt saying that I often use and I must say is spot on :smt023
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:21 pm The next few weeks will give us an idea of where we are but the games where Steward doesn't play is an issue now as our only competent wingers are Watson & Potter.
WRFC

Disagree with this point.

Ashton I don't think is gone just yet and is still a good player.

Plus Porter is a good winger also (though he's a better centre) and once Kelly, Pollard etc are fit we have more centre options.

Kini & Saumaki have question marks on them atm but I think both can also be match winners so still decent depth options if not starters.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I thought Whitcombe had a solid game, held his own in the scrum, made 9 tackles missed none, and a couple of carries.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Really nice to see some Worcester and Wasps fans there.
A2O
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I’m fairly sanguine about things but k will say that we basically won the title on the back of an unbelievable defence which we simply haven’t had anything like the same this season.

There are mitigations with injuries, international call ups and the stop start nature this season etc but if we don’t sort the defence out we’ll be missing out on top 4.

And I bet you that if we sort out the defence we’ll start to look better in attack as things will gel and new partnerships and players will find their feet on both sides of the ball.

Unfortunately, it’s an if at the moment as we are losing points cheaply time and time again each week
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:18 pm I’m fairly sanguine about things but k will say that we basically won the title on the back of an unbelievable defence which we simply haven’t had anything like the same this season.

There are mitigations with injuries, international call ups and the stop start nature this season etc but if we don’t sort the defence out we’ll be missing out on top 4.

And I bet you that if we sort out the defence we’ll start to look better in attack as things will gel and new partnerships and players will find their feet on both sides of the ball.

Unfortunately, it’s an if at the moment as we are losing points cheaply time and time again each week
52 trys conceded last season(24 games),30 already(8 games)! (If that's correct) almost double the average conceded!
Last edited by Scott1 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer