Tigers v London Irish (H] - Sunday 27th November 2022 KO 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v London Irish (H] - Sunday 27th November 2022 KO 3pm

Post by Offside »

Kelly, Porter, Porter were key young players last year and I think we have only seen one at a time this year. Getting those three, JVP and Steward playing together regularly will be the key to Tigers in the next set of matches.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:00 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:52 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:49 pm

International call ups to of some players who made their name last season. Plus some big losses and changes of personell have got to affect the cohesion of the team.
So has every other team! Don’t think we can keep using that any more tbh
So we lose Ford, Genge and Moroni. Pollard is injured and Steward, Porter and JVP get call ups which ......although deserved....might be on the unexpected list?

I think its valid.

Plus we've been robbed of game time because of the Wasps and Worcs demise . We're not the team we were last season. Literally.
It doesn't help, but our individual tackling ability seems way way down from last year and we do seem a lot more prone to giving silly penalties away. There is no need to panic yet as we are still in the mix for the playoffs but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping we go back to back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:49 pm

International call ups to of some players who made their name last season. Plus some big losses and changes of personell have got to affect the cohesion of the team.
So we lose Ford, Genge and Moroni. Pollard is injured and Steward, Porter and JVP get call ups which ......although deserved....might be on the unexpected list?

I think its valid.

Plus we've been robbed of game time because of the Wasps and Worcs demise . We're not the team we were last season. Literally.
It’s valid,but its more than just personnel for me. We look off in everything tbh. Nothings at the level it was last season. Perhaps it’s all tied together,or maybe we just hugely overachieved last season
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:06 pm

I think its valid.

It doesn't help, but our individual tackling ability seems way way down from last year and we do seem a lot more prone to giving silly penalties away. There is no need to panic yet as we are still in the mix for the playoffs but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping we go back to back.
Well first has definitely gone,and we have to avoid 4th. Second is still on for now but the loss to Sale at home was a bad one in hindsight. We are at Bristol next week and Sale were supposed to play Wasps. Bristol will be buoyed by Genges return and regardless of their form it will be a tough game. Not a game I’m confident of winning at all at present
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

[/quote]

It’s valid,but its more than just personnel for me. We look off in everything tbh. Nothings at the level it was last season. Perhaps it’s all tied together,or maybe we just hugely overachieved last season
[/quote]

We squeaked a few last year and missed a few this.

Bristol away and Sarries at home last year versus Exeter and Bath away this year?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I think we are achieving at the correct level given the loss of game turners from last season. We snatched a few wins thanks to George then, and to me it is very clear he was the best 10 in the Prem.i still think we have the beatings of all the teams on a one off basis at full strength.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Oh goodness gracious, what is going on? So many errors and lack of concentration It beggers belief! Clare and Ashton had awful games, and for the rest, most, but not all, were off form. A most fortunate end result for us, and not really deserved.

Let's all pray for a massive improvement in the nrxt round.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:13 pm
[/quote]

We squeaked a few last year and missed a few this.

Bristol away and Sarries at home last year versus Exeter and Bath away this year?
[/quote]

Good points,we are losing the games we would’ve won last season so though skews it a bit, but overall I still think we are off. Penalty count,one up tackling,decision making etc Even intensity sometimes
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:14 pm I think we are achieving at the correct level given the loss of game turners from last season. We snatched a few wins thanks to George then, and to me it is very clear he was the best 10 in the Prem.i still think we have the beatings of all the teams on a one off basis at full strength.
Just as an argument against that,our team was definitely better than Baths and we lost that. We still had game changers in that 23. So that’s underachieving for me,that performance wasn’t our correct level at all! That’s just one example.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

From having a quick glance at the table we do seem in a decent place having played a game less than Saints, but what is quite interesting is that both Saints and Tigers have a negative point differential so far this season, not something I would have guessed for the 4th and 5th placed teams.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

This was our team against Sale:
Cronin,Montoya,Cole,Wells,Green,Liebenberg,Martin,Weise,WW,Burns,Nadolo,Gopparth,Scott,Potter,Steward,
There’s another example where the team was good enough but we underachieved
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:14 pm I think we are achieving at the correct level given the loss of game turners from last season. We snatched a few wins thanks to George then, and to me it is very clear he was the best 10 in the Prem.i still think we have the beatings of all the teams on a one off basis at full strength.
Ford (particularly in the first half of the season) was the form 10 in the Prem by a distance. I'd maybe even argue in Europe. His display against Saints at FG is one of the best individual displays I've ever seen, he was sensational.

Currently we have his understudy playing, capable understudy though Burns is he isn't Ford. Hopefully Pollard returns soon and we'll be back to be being guided around the park by an international class operator.

It's worth remembering how key Kelly was to the team last season, our attack has not looked anywhere near as potent since his injury. Tail end of last season nor the start of this. The impact of being able to start JVP/Youngs, Pollard, Kelly, Porter and Steward should not be underestimated. LI did not have the same limitations in terms of long term injury or England call ups as we did today as well.

That being said the intensity levels need to be picked up and discipline improved.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Do we know when Handré Pollard will be available for selection?
Semper in excretia
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:27 pm
Ford (particularly in the first half of the season) was the form 10 in the Prem by a distance. I'd maybe even argue in Europe. His display against Saints at FG is one of the best individual displays I've ever seen, he was sensational.

Currently we have his understudy playing, capable understudy though Burns is he isn't Ford. Hopefully Pollard returns soon and we'll be back to be being guided around the park by an international class operator.

It's worth remembering how key Kelly was to the team last season, our attack has not looked anywhere near as potent since his injury. Tail end of last season nor the start of this. The impact of being able to start JVP/Youngs, Pollard, Kelly, Porter and Steward should not be underestimated. LI did not have the same limitations in terms of long term injury or England call ups as we did today as well.

That being said the intensity levels need to be picked up and discipline improved.
Good point....forgot about Kelly.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Over 50 days since our last home game, only one home game in over a month.

Any wonder we looked rusty..

Lets face it start of the season last year we were rusty games like Sarries we were outplayed.

We've also been the wrong end of injuries this year, if not in numbers it seems half the injuries have been centres.

For the first time all season we have a run of games. Lets find our game and get going. Reckon we'll be there

As it is we got 5 points against a genuine banana skin team. Job done
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.