Tigers v London Irish (H] - Sunday 27th November 2022 KO 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v London Irish (H] - Sunday 27th November 2022 KO 3pm

Post by LE18 »

I would love to see SB give a go to a backline of,, JVP, Atkinson, Potter, Kelly, Porter, Cockansiga, Steward, sink or swim, it would give us some youngsters who add pace and variation from our kicking game, be it long kicks or chip over the tops that are not really working.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:11 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:10 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:05 pm

Injuries and losing Moroni is definitely a factor, having to play without your #1 inside centre and throwing a winger in at 13. Cut out the penalties and we won’t be under pressure 5m out, where most teams will cash in. If you’re winning but not happy that’s a decent sign.
Not just defensively in the backs though,forwards are falling off tackles too and the defensive intensity bar Exeter is nowhere near the level of last season for me. There's glimpses here and there in individual players such as Martin but there's just seems something missing. Let's just hope it's a slow start and we grow into the season and we can judge again after a full compliment
Quins away was our best defensive performance. It’s the same for other clubs….Gloucester without Atkinson aren’t the same for example.
Chiefs for me,didn't we hold them up 3 times? And some of our phase play defending was brutal. I'm not interested in other clubs mate tbh,I'm talking about ours. This conversation will just keep going around in circles but others apart from me have commented on our struggles too and the table and trys for and against etc doesn't lie.
Last edited by Scott1 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:01 pm
wigworth wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:50 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:36 pm not really. We have won 4 and lost 4 so you would expect it to be close. Only 2 home games b4 today.
Chiefs have managed a positive differential despite winning 4 and losing 5. It is just concerning that what today should have been a comfortable 10+ point win got turned into a close run affair mostly because we seemed out to sea defensively after 30 mins, which has happened several times this season already and hasn't seemingly been fixed yet.
A few of Irish losses:
Bath (A) 4 points
Gloucester (H) 1 point
Quins (A) 2 points
Chiefs (A) 5 points

As I said, they are no mugs. Quins and Chiefs you could argue are our rivals for Top 4 and possibly Gloucester. They only just beat them. We have more to come and can improve.
True, but these clubs I am not all that concerned with, we have and most likely could beat all these teams on a given day. What I am concerned with is that I don't see us beating Sarries in many if any scenarios given how we are currently playing and we are most likely going to have to face them at some point if we want to win the league.
Bge3095

Post by Bge3095 »

Like a few have said Burns game management at times is irrational, kicked the ball to the corner few phases later attempted drop goal why not just take the shot. Would like to see atkinson get a go he did pretty well when He was playing starting 10 for wasps
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Bge3095 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:38 pm Like a few have said Burns game management at times is irrational, kicked the ball to the corner few phases later attempted drop goal why not just take the shot. Would like to see atkinson get a go he did pretty well when He was playing starting 10 for wasps
that's as much on Hanro as captain to point to the posts
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:22 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:10 pm

Not just defensively in the backs though,forwards are falling off tackles too and the defensive intensity bar Exeter is nowhere near the level of last season for me. There's glimpses here and there in individual players such as Martin but there's just seems something missing. Let's just hope it's a slow start and we grow into the season and we can judge again after a full compliment
Quins away was our best defensive performance. It’s the same for other clubs….Gloucester without Atkinson aren’t the same for example.
Chiefs for me,didn't we hold them up 3 times? And some of our phase play defending was brutal. I'm not interested in other clubs mate tbh,I'm talking about ours. This conversation will just keep going around in circles but others apart from me have commented on our struggles too and the table and trys for and against etc doesn't lie.
It helps to put into perspective though. We’re 5th. It’s not a disaster.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:56 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:22 pm

It helps to put into perspective though. We’re 5th. It’s not a disaster.
No one said it was a disaster. I’ve just been comparing us to last season and pointing out that we are way off,in almost every area it seems. I’ve also said there’s time to turn it around and that we should also be judged when we have a full compliment back.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Freddie B was awful today, Atkinson needs to start next week and Pollard when fit needs to rule the fly half spot!!

Freddie looking a shadow and was really poor at the vital moments today.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Does everyone think we will eventually go with Pollard,Kelly,Porter first choice?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Totally agree that Atkinson should be given a chance until Pollard is ready to go. However anyone that saw him play for Wasps will know he is a very off the cuff type of player so as exciting as he could be there will also be mistakes made.
For the record I feel he should start at Bristol but anyone who looking for a Ford or Pollard type game management performance may be disappointed
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There was a lack of leadership on the field.

Electing to kick for the posts from in our own half when it was a speculative kick at best and likely out of Burn’s range. 3 points would not have taken us out of a try range.
Wigglesworth taking a quick penalty in our own half. Fortunately called back by the ref.
Suggests a lack of confidence in the maul as the game went on (and Montoja going off) Dolly coming back soon would be good.

The yellow for allegedly pulling down the ruck was harsh, compared to the shoulder charge to Potter’s neck only meriting a penalty and not yellow.

Whitcombe played well. Leaving him out for Van Wyke looks like it was a bad move that may have cost us in some of the close matches earlier.

A deal of work in defence needed as we dropped off too many tackles.
Supporting lines when the forwards take the ball up we’re slow leading to turn overs and penalties.

At least we won.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

mol2 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:21 pm There was a lack of leadership on the field.

Electing to kick for the posts from in our own half when it was a speculative kick at best and likely out of Burn’s range. 3 points would not have taken us out of a try range.
Wigglesworth taking a quick penalty in our own half. Fortunately called back by the ref.
Suggests a lack of confidence in the maul as the game went on (and Montoja going off) Dolly coming back soon would be good.

The yellow for allegedly pulling down the ruck was harsh, compared to the shoulder charge to Potter’s neck only meriting a penalty and not yellow.

Whitcombe played well. Leaving him out for Van Wyke looks like it was a bad move that may have cost us in some of the close matches earlier.

A deal of work in defence needed as we dropped off too many tackles.
Supporting lines when the forwards take the ball up we’re slow leading to turn overs and penalties.

At least we won.
The kick was bang on halfway and Hanro will have checked with Freddie to see if a) it was within his range and b) if he felt comfy taking it. Hanro then made the call.

All the negativity about Burns isn't entirely merited. He had some good moments today and some poor ones. The dipping kick from inside his own half to within 5-10m of their line was sublime. Whether he was as awful as many are saying or not - we still got a TBP.

Like it or not, this season has been so stop-start for us,.more than any other side. How you expect players to strike up fluid combinations when you don't play for weeks on end due to removed fixtures etc.

We've got a run of games now with our internationals back. Let's judge us come the start of the 6N period.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Well we won!
The coaches and players will know that they will need to be much better to beat Bristol.
Sitting behind the posts at The Welford Road end as usual I thought it was an odd game: it might have come across as a thriller but in reality it was two side making too many mistakes!
I really like Freddie Burns but he doesn’t control games when things get tight but that’s why George Ford has always been the best Fly Half in England.
Thought Wigglesworth has been great for us and without JVP and Ben Youngs we would have been in even more trouble without him.
We miss Dolly too as either the starting hooker or to come on for Montoya!
Dolly won’t be back until the New Year, maybe later.
Until we get a settled team playing consecutive games I think we will struggle especially against teams like Bristol, a team we should beat, but with Genge and Sinkler back will be a force and they have better backs than Irish.
Time for another performance like the Quins one!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I thought Freddie played fine today tbh, not outstanding by any means but more positive than negative
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Big fan of Freddie but thought it was a game of two halves for him. Very good first half, iffy second half but then that's true of pretty much everyone on the pitch.

Thought Antony Watson had his best game for us. Looking forward to seeing him on the wing with Steward back. His pace out wide will be needed.