Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9c0b ... 7c57a88148

Article in the Times saying it's a 3 way shootout for the England job post World Cup.

Steve Borthwick
Ronan O'Gara
Scott Robinson

🤞they go for Robinson this World Cup Cycle...
Last edited by TigerFeetSteve on Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Next England Head Coach (Post World Cup)

Post by Tigers86asw »

Judging by Jones and the current England team they are going to get stuff upfront next year. Kiwis took them to the cleaners at the set piece on Saturday despite several dodgy lineout throws.

In response to this the rfu will pick the best forwards coach- Borthwick.

I don’t want it to happen but I fear that is what will happen. Waters and Sinfield to follow to make matters much worse.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tigers86asw wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:52 pm Judging by Jones and the current England team they are going to get stuff upfront next year. Kiwis took them to the cleaners at the set piece on Saturday despite several dodgy lineout throws.

In response to this the rfu will pick the best forwards coach- Borthwick.

I don’t want it to happen but I fear that is what will happen. Waters and Sinfield to follow to make matters much worse.
It's very difficult to make that judgement on a single game though. If England regularly got taken to the cleaners then maybe. Sometimes the opposition do a job, sometimes there will be a difference of opinion in how the referee interprets the scrum. I don't see a pattern though just yet. I think overall the pack isn't necessarily an issue. Getting the backline to function when you're providing them good ball is an issue.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Also Crusaders have constantly had the dominant pack certainly in New Zealand and Australia, during super rugby, during Robinson tenure, so he would have his own coaching team in mind.
As good as Borthwick is for Tigers his game plan is limited, England need to be thinking out of the box
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If its Borthwick we need to get Robertson simples....

For me Borthwick isn't ready & I am not convinced he would enjoy the higher media requirements.

I struggle to see Waters with England.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

England have not had a dominant pack since 2019- I’m not saying it’s been poor but hardly world class. I think Englands forward play has been a problem since then.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:50 pm https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9c0b ... 7c57a88148

Article in the Times saying it's a 3 way shootout for the England job post World Cup.

Steve Borthwick
Ronan O'Gara
Scott Robertson

🤞they go for Robinson this World Cup Cycle...
That Borthwick is rubbish, count him out :smt018

For me I would be happy with either O'Gara or Scott Robertson, I would love to see Scott but not sure the 52 old farts would be happy with him break dancing on the pitch after a win.

If I was either Ronan or Robertson and I got the job I would be after a certain Mr Sinfield as my defence coach
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

Robertson has publicly stated he wants the All Blacks job when Foster's contract ends, presumably after World Cup. That's if Foster hasn't done enough to warrant a further contract.
Give blood, play rugby!!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

wardy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:13 pm Robertson has publicly stated he wants the All Blacks job when Foster's contract ends, presumably after World Cup. That's if Foster hasn't done enough to warrant a further contract.
That's an interesting question, it seems that the ABs ship has steadied itself for now and they look like a decent team but what would be considered enough for Foster to stay on? I would guess a finals appearance at the WC would be enough to probably stay in the job.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Be interested to see what others thoughts would be on Tigers contingency IF Borthwick was to take the role. Too early for Wigglesworth to step up, you’d think…
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerMac3 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:55 pm Be interested to see what others thoughts would be on Tigers contingency IF Borthwick was to take the role. Too early for Wigglesworth to step up, you’d think…
IMO it would be very unlikely that Sinfield would move into an international set up so early in his union career. The respect he is held in by everyone within the rugby fraternity would for me make him the ideal candidate
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:28 pm If its Borthwick we need to get Robertson simples....

For me Borthwick isn't ready & I am not convinced he would enjoy the higher media requirements.

I struggle to see Waters with England.
Agree with the Borthwick comment here….he’d have to radically change his media profile. You have to be a bit more accessible. I mean, “we’re just focused on improving and the next game” doesn’t cut it at international level. I think the week in week out schedule suits him down to the ground. I’d recommend that nobody takes it……too much hassle. You’ve picked the wrong players, you’ve picked the right players but playing them out of position etc etc it’s a poisoned chalice. I would love RoG to take it on actually,but the poor bloke would get slaughtered by media and fans the moment we put a foot wrong.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... world-cup/

According to this we are planning for the eventuality that Borthwick may get the England job. We were supposedly talking to Lancaster before he signed for Racing
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Dimes is at a loose end isn’t he? 🤣
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

I think England should go for a certain English dad coaching in Ireland….

Failing that I do think that Robertson would come to Tigers for 4 year cycle (in his interview he wanted to win the World Cup with two teams and also manage the biggest teams)