Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:20 pm A good question would be that without injuries what would be your starting team given current form, or form before injury.

I would suggest, probably wide of the mark :

Genge
LCD
Cole
Itoje
Chessum
Lawes
Earl
Dombrant (Mercer if we could)
Mitchell
Farrell
OHC
Kelly
Slade
Arundell
Steward

Not that many brand new players.
Not that many brand new players but only 3 nailed on starters from the last squad (two of whom was playing out of position) with a couple more bench players. That leaves two thirds of the form players not in the squad.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

You can’t just pick players on form though otherwise you’ll change the team every 4 months so there has to be some consistency and progression.

I’m not sure EJ has it right at all but equally any international team has a 2-3 cycle with a core 9-10 out of the 23 who play most games and are trusted almost irrespective of anything else.

As Ian McGeechan says, it’s very different being good in the Premiership to being a Test Match Animal to use that phrase.

What you can’t do is stay so loyal to players that are past their cycle
Wes

Post by Wes »

I think some of the problem is that Eddie does try new players, there's been a lot who have had less than 10 caps (and a quick google shows nearly 50 new caps under Eddie!) but they don't make it. Is Eddie saying he needs to see them playing test rugby to see if they are good enough or is there a reason they don't hang around?
I suspect the latter if Eddie knows anything about plyers (which he does) which will mean only those who buy 100% into the Eddie Jones script will remain, so lots of the same old faces who don't rock the boat and trust int he process. As soon as one of these players says he's not happy - they also get dropped like hot coals.
Not healthy!
I only live there to wind up the population!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

From Wes "I suspect the latter if Eddie knows anything about plyers (which he does) which will mean only those who buy 100% into the Eddie Jones script will remain, so lots of the same old faces who don't rock the boat and trust int he process. As soon as one of these players says he's not happy - they also get dropped like hot coals.
Not healthy!"

I agree and it fits the narrative of Chris Ashton and others (see my earlier post, above) about the unpleasant "brutal" atmosphere created by EJ which I think is far more telling. Players are more afraid of failing than trying to succeed.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:10 pm From Wes "I suspect the latter if Eddie knows anything about plyers (which he does) which will mean only those who buy 100% into the Eddie Jones script will remain, so lots of the same old faces who don't rock the boat and trust int he process. As soon as one of these players says he's not happy - they also get dropped like hot coals.
Not healthy!"

I agree and it fits the narrative of Chris Ashton and others (see my earlier post, above) about the unpleasant "brutal" atmosphere created by EJ which I think is far more telling. Players are more afraid of failing than trying to succeed.
And that last sentence sums up what is wrong perfectly.
I used the analogy earlier of England test cricket team who are encouraged to be the opposite, go out and express yourself, don’t be afraid of failing.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Telegraph have a exclusive saying ‘Rfu consider sacking Eddie Jones and hiring Steve Borthwick’
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

This is the article- 3rd paragraph is the key one.

The RFU is considering sacking Eddie Jones and replacing him with Steve Borthwick early next week, despite the head coach's insistence that he is the right man to lead England to the World Cup next year.

Jones, 62, will attend a crunch meeting with chief executive Bill Sweeney and the remainder of the review panel on Monday that will decide his fate ahead of a full board meeting on Tuesday.

Telegraph Sport understands Borthwick is the overwhelming first choice for the role should Jones depart, which is looking increasingly likely, with the Australian paying the price for a dismal autumn that featured defeats to Argentina and South Africa and a last-gasp draw with New Zealand.

Jones has spent all week on a reconnaissance mission in France preparing for next year's tournament and sources close to him insist he remains determined to continue his tenure, saying that they have never seen Jones more motivated and that he wants to finish the job.

Having led England since 2015, Jones was always due to leave Twickenham once his contract runs out in October 2023. Borthwick was widely predicted to take over after that having served his international apprenticeship under Jones and most recently impressed as head coach of Leicester.

Advertisement

It is not the first time Jones has faced down calls to be sacked, or been forced to present his strategy to the same review panel that will once again determine his fate.

Gatland not yet contacted by RFU

The RFU announced last Sunday that a two-week review would be conducted by a panel which includes board and executive members along with independent, former players and coaches. However, the meeting with Jones has now been brought forward with the Six Nations just nine weeks away.

Jones in the past has travelled to Japan after the autumn internationals to continue his consultancy role with Suntory Sungoliath, having advised the Japanese side for over 20 years. The new Japan Rugby League One season gets underway in mid-December, but Suntory have informed Telegraph Sport they are unsure of when Jones will arrive.

Advertisement

“There is a possibility of him coming to Japan, but nothing has been decided," said a spokesperson for Suntory.

Other big names who have been linked with the role include Warren Gatland, the former Wales and British and Irish Lions coach, potentially offering a senior counsel alongside Borthwick, although there has been no contact from the RFU.

Wales coach Warren Gatland prior to the Autumn International at the Principality Stadium, Cardiff
Former Wales coach Warren Gatland has not yet been contacted by the RFU, Telegraph Sport understands CREDIT: PA
One of the other contenders to replace Jones, La Rochelle head coach Ronan O'Gara, ruled themselves out of contention. Writing in his column in the Irish Examiner, O'Gara said that he informed the RFU on Wednesday that he no longer wished to be in the running for the role. Reports in France this week have suggested that O'Gara is set to sign a new contract with La Rochelle.

"I had contact from the RFU. It’s England. If you get offered a gig like that – and I wasn’t, to be accurate – then you have to give it due consideration until such time as someone else gets the job or you officially eliminate yourself from the race. That was done in a very amicable conversation this week, ‘I’m not sure if I am making your job easier or harder, but... etc etc’. No hard feelings, we may meet again."

Advertisement

O'Gara noted that the current assumption is that the RFU will move to appoint Jones' long-term successor following this year's Six Nations.

"Events may dictate otherwise, but the sense is that the RFU will be making their moves after the Six Nations, and there was no good reason to delay my own situation in La Rochelle and mess our president, Vincent Merling around. That’s why I asked the RFU to remove me from any putative list of head coach options."
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:37 pm This is the article- 3rd paragraph is the key one.

The RFU is considering sacking Eddie Jones and replacing him with Steve Borthwick early next week, despite the head coach's insistence that he is the right man to lead England to the World Cup next year.

Jones, 62, will attend a crunch meeting with chief executive Bill Sweeney and the remainder of the review panel on Monday that will decide his fate ahead of a full board meeting on Tuesday.

Telegraph Sport understands Borthwick is the overwhelming first choice for the role should Jones depart, which is looking increasingly likely, with the Australian paying the price for a dismal autumn that featured defeats to Argentina and South Africa and a last-gasp draw with New Zealand.

Jones has spent all week on a reconnaissance mission in France preparing for next year's tournament and sources close to him insist he remains determined to continue his tenure, saying that they have never seen Jones more motivated and that he wants to finish the job.

Having led England since 2015, Jones was always due to leave Twickenham once his contract runs out in October 2023. Borthwick was widely predicted to take over after that having served his international apprenticeship under Jones and most recently impressed as head coach of Leicester.

Advertisement

It is not the first time Jones has faced down calls to be sacked, or been forced to present his strategy to the same review panel that will once again determine his fate.

The RFU announced last Sunday that a two-week review would be conducted by a panel which includes board and executive members along with independent, former players and coaches. However, the meeting with Jones has now been brought forward with the Six Nations just nine weeks away.

Jones in the past has travelled to Japan after the autumn internationals to continue his consultancy role with Suntory Sungoliath, having advised the Japanese side for over 20 years. The new Japan Rugby League One season gets underway in mid-December, but Suntory have informed Telegraph Sport they are unsure of when Jones will arrive.

Advertisement

“There is a possibility of him coming to Japan, but nothing has been decided," said a spokesperson for Suntory.

Other big names who have been linked with the role include Warren Gatland, the former Wales and British and Irish Lions coach, potentially offering a senior counsel alongside Borthwick, although there has been no contact from the RFU.

Wales coach Warren Gatland prior to the Autumn International at the Principality Stadium, Cardiff
Former Wales coach Warren Gatland has not yet been contacted by the RFU, Telegraph Sport understands CREDIT: PA
One of the other contenders to replace Jones, La Rochelle head coach Ronan O'Gara, ruled themselves out of contention. Writing in his column in the Irish Examiner, O'Gara said that he informed the RFU on Wednesday that he no longer wished to be in the running for the role. Reports in France this week have suggested that O'Gara is set to sign a new contract with La Rochelle.

"I had contact from the RFU. It’s England. If you get offered a gig like that – and I wasn’t, to be accurate – then you have to give it due consideration until such time as someone else gets the job or you officially eliminate yourself from the race. That was done in a very amicable conversation this week, ‘I’m not sure if I am making your job easier or harder, but... etc etc’. No hard feelings, we may meet again."

Advertisement

O'Gara noted that the current assumption is that the RFU will move to appoint Jones' long-term successor following this year's Six Nations.

"Events may dictate otherwise, but the sense is that the RFU will be making their moves after the Six Nations, and there was no good reason to delay my own situation in La Rochelle and mess our president, Vincent Merling around. That’s why I asked the RFU to remove me from any putative list of head coach options."
Interesting the Telegraph, Times and Mail have all had "exclusives" in the last 3 days with 3 different coaches
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

I can’t see him not being sacked. It’s a question of who will replace him, tigers will want compensation for Borthwick and the rfu don’t usually pay that when they can wait 6 months.

I suspect it will be O Shea for the six nations and then Borthwick in the summer.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I still think Borthwick is the incorrect choice (wanting to keep him at Tigers aside), he's straight out of the Eddie school of coaching himself so I can't see much changing, he also hasn't yet shown that he can coach anything other than pragmatic Rugby
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:44 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:37 pm This is the article- 3rd paragraph is the key one.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Interesting the Telegraph, Times and Mail have all had "exclusives" in the last 3 days with 3 different coaches
😂👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:02 pm I still think Borthwick is the incorrect choice (wanting to keep him at Tigers aside), he's straight out of the Eddie school of coaching himself so I can't see much changing, he also hasn't yet shown that he can coach anything other than pragmatic Rugby
Yes,I posted the other day that Borths could just end up being Eddie lite. New broom and new eyes needed for me
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:02 pm I still think Borthwick is the incorrect choice (wanting to keep him at Tigers aside), he's straight out of the Eddie school of coaching himself so I can't see much changing, he also hasn't yet shown that he can coach anything other than pragmatic Rugby
I agree entirely, Tigers game plan is so close to that of England's.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

To counter the point that Borthwick is EJ lite...

Well with limited time till the World Cup, expanding on the foundations laid may be better than a complete rebuild?

Anyway hands off Borthwick!!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:35 pm
I agree entirely, Tigers game plan is so close to that of England's.
I was thinking the same thing. A certain ex coach is criticised on here for not developing his game plan, amongst other things, and yet Borthers seems to be doing similar, admittedly he was starting at a lower base.

I suppose the big question for Borthwick is if his country comes calling it would be very difficult to say no.