Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Post World Cup)

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:34 pm
wigworth wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:24 pm I don't think it is a bad idea for Robertson to get blooded internationally somewhere other than NZ, somewhere where he won't have such pressure from the NZ press to be the next great saviour of the ABs.
He could follow a well traveled path to Wales then.
Let's hope he's more Hansen than Gatland 🤞😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Interesting 15 minutes by Andy Goode from the rugby pod. Lays into Eddie Jones, Bill Sweeney in fact the whole RFU hierarchy. Apparently there has been a review put in place but those carrying it out have asked to be kept anonymous for fear of retribution.

Goodey said he spoke to Healey on Sunday who told him Jones would be sacked this week. Now either he knows something or it’s Austin being Austin.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:46 pm Interesting 15 minutes by Andy Goode from the rugby pod. Lays into Eddie Jones, Bill Sweeney in fact the whole RFU hierarchy. Apparently there has been a review put in place but those carrying it out have asked to be kept anonymous for fear of retribution.

Goodey said he spoke to Healey on Sunday who told him Jones would be sacked this week. Now either he knows something or it’s Austin being Austin.
Read about the anonymous thing,grow a pair comes to mind! Can't see him being sacked but I really,really hope so!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:34 pm
wigworth wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:24 pm I don't think it is a bad idea for Robertson to get blooded internationally somewhere other than NZ, somewhere where he won't have such pressure from the NZ press to be the next great saviour of the ABs.
He could follow a well traveled path to Wales then.
Robertson and Sinfield for ENGLAND :smt026 :smt041
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I am not sure why but I have this feeling that Jones will be gone by the end of next week. Just something about the press releases and comments on social media that make me think that the RFU are actually going to act. I think that the constant churn of back room staff who clearly do not want to work with Jones is very telling.

Who comes in is more difficult. Mid season I do not think that they will presuade someone out of a position at a European club. My honest opinion, I think it is a race between the RFU and the WRFU as to who gets their sacking done first and appoints Gatland until the end of the world cup with a process to find a full time replacement taken after. You could see an approach for Robertson but I think that an interim coach for the world cup would be the target.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

If they go now it surely means they're getting Robinson.

Can't see them having an "interim" solution in place for a world cup...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:14 am If they go now it surely means they're getting Robinson.

It's Robertson, we have had Robinson and he failed :(
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Chobbsy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:16 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:14 am If they go now it surely means they're getting Robinson.

It's Robertson, we have had Robinson and he failed :(
Apologies, too early in the morning not enough caffeine....
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Maybe it will not be described as 'interim' but I can see someone like Gatland getting a one year contract then being part of a process to fnd a long term replacement post world cup. His Lions experience does give him some background in preparing a team under a tight timeframe.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

GB72 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:28 am

Maybe it will not be described as 'interim' but I can see someone like Gatland getting a one year contract then being part of a process to fnd a long term replacement post world cup. His Lions experience does give him some background in preparing a team under a tight timeframe.
Is there really an appetite for Gatland for the England job? For Wales yes I could see him coming in a doing a job short term but I can't see the fit for England, he would be more compelling if he still had Shaun Edwards working with him but that obviously is not the case anymore.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

wigworth wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:37 am
GB72 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:28 am

Is there really an appetite for Gatland for the England job? For Wales yes I could see him coming in a doing a job short term but I can't see the fit for England, he would be more compelling if he still had Shaun Edwards working with him but that obviously is not the case anymore.
Sadly, if the decision is made that Jones is not the one to take us to the world cup (and I do not think that he is) the the choices may be limited as I suspect that european coaches are not going to be as keen to move mid season. There may not be an apetite for Gatland but he does seem a reasonable option to put in place a team that can challenge at the next world cup at short notice.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:46 am https://twitter.com/PlanetRugby/status/ ... 5ZfxQ&s=19

Interesting tweet...
I was at Robonson's last match in charge at Twickenham v South Africa (think it was the last time I went). The performance was as abject as the one at the weekend and resulted in the same booing from the crowd. Actually the mood was very much like it is now and makes me think even more that Jones will not be in the post at Xmas.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Is there a single English supporter who would shed a tear if Jones was sacked today ?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

fortysix wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:05 pm Is there a single English supporter who would shed a tear if Jones was sacked today ?
Depends on who took over.....it could be worse...

Of the 2 coaches in peril Jones & Pivac, it's far easier to feel sorry for Pivac.
To win is not as important as playing with style!