Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by ads »

Louis wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:42 pm
ads wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:24 pm
Louis wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:05 pm Also, Cockers came on at Tigers as a caretaker IIRC. Made a big impact then, yes, had a poor end. Big impact at Edinburgh. Now with England, could the same happen? Could caretaker turn permanent?
Add Toulon to that list as well.
True, but I don't remember if he revolutionised Toulon.
He sorted out Mike Ford's mess and got them to the final.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There are some coaches who can put the polish on a side that another GP has put together, yet struggle to build on and develop a side of their own. I suspect Cockers falls into this category.
Obviously the collection of players to the disposal of an England coach is vastly greater than that of a club coach where financial constraints apply even if the player(s) you want might already be under contract.

I am not sure the core of this side can be polished. Some good players on the fringed, but Jones has kept much of the core he inherited 7 years ago. For me Cockers lacks the trust in young players to make enough changes to give this side a chance. The core has been tried tested and found wanting for much of the last 6 years since the Grand Slam. The World Cup final was almost an aberration. Beating New Zealand does not make a wonder team. NZ were on the way down (and still not great by their own standards)

Our 6N performances have been poor for years. The obsession with the players not being fit enough probably infuriates most of their clubs. Based on The Vunipola brothers struggling at international pace?
Too many return from England injured.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

We wait with eager anticipation of Cockerill's 6N squad
Who among Eddie's tried and trusted will be axed?
Will George Ford be back once he's fit?
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:24 pm We wait with eager anticipation of Cockerill's 6N squad
Who among Eddie's tried and trusted will be axed?
Will George Ford be back once he's fit?
Ford due back for Tigers game at Sale last I read.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:22 pm https://twitter.com/chrisjonespress/sta ... HFLjw&s=19

Tigers cancel their press today...
well there would only be one line of questioning to which they can't possibly answer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:28 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:22 pm https://twitter.com/chrisjonespress/sta ... HFLjw&s=19

well there would only be one line of questioning to which they can't possibly answer
Perhaps they do not have a Press Officer with Gary leaving
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Stangely that post on Twitter no longer seems to exist.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:38 pm

Stangely that post on Twitter no longer seems to exist.
Possibly it's been rescheduled??
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

The Telegraph page has been updated to show that the RFU have approached Borthwick about becoming the next head coach.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ext-coach/
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

The cancellation was directly mentioned by Ugo Monye on Radio 5 at lunchtime when discussing Borthwicks future with Chris Jones.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Page does not exist TFS
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

wigworth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:40 pm The Telegraph page has been updated to show that the RFU have approached Borthwick about becoming the next head coach.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ext-coach/
Interesting that we appear only willing to let SB go. May be wrong but I would attribute a significant percentage of his success to an excellent back room team and if I were him I would not want to be heading to England without them (assuming that they are willing to leave).

RFU showing usual ego in expecting the deal to be done by the end of the week and only paying £200k. Not sure that would adequately compensate us for the damage this could cause or the cost of getting in a new coach. I would be looking at a 6 figure payment for early release.
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

There are so many on here saying 2+2 =5. As far as we all know SB is at Oval park preparing a side for this weekend. Until there is an announcement he has my full backing, if he is the man selected to take the England role then he has my full thanks for the sterling job he and his team have done and the wonderfully healthy position we are in squad wise. As a curve ball if SB departs maybe a new incoming Head Coach will turn the squad into the finished article that SB was developing and win trophies, like all professional sport coaches come and go, lets not taint our opinions of SB and his team if the call comes mid-season as the honour to coach your country does not come along very often. We will survive IF SB goes in my opinion as the foundation stones are in place and looking sold. If SB gets the nod we should all congratulate him, celebrate the sucess and stability he has brought us and trust in Andrea and the board to have learnt from the past and get the right calibre of replacement.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Truefollower wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:47 pm There are so many on here saying 2+2 =5. As far as we all know SB is at Oval park preparing a side for this weekend. Until there is an announcement he has my full backing, if he is the man selected to take the England role then he has my full thanks for the sterling job he and his team have done and the wonderfully healthy position we are in squad wise. As a curve ball if SB departs maybe a new incoming Head Coach will turn the squad into the finished article that SB was developing and win trophies, like all professional sport coaches come and go, lets not taint our opinions of SB and his team if the call comes mid-season as the honour to coach your country does not come along very often. We will survive IF SB goes in my opinion as the foundation stones are in place and looking sold. If SB gets the nod we should all congratulate him, celebrate the sucess and stability he has brought us and trust in Andrea and the board to have learnt from the past and get the right calibre of replacement.
I very much agree with that, nothing against SB or any decision to take up the England post. If that were to happen though, especially in tough times, I would want to see the club more the adequately compensated not only for the disruption an early departure would cause but also to cover the cost of finding and recruiting a replacement coaching team. I say team as I would be surprised if they are not off to England on a free in the summer once the headline signing of SB has been done now. The RFU have dug themselves into a big hole and so it would seem only equitable that we are compensated well for helping them out of it.