Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Post World Cup)

Post by Scott1 »

ROG to rule himself out of England job by signing a contract extension at La Rochelle
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I’ve said it before, who’d want the job ?! It’s a poisoned chalice. Let’s be brutally honest here, how many decent England performances can you name since we won the 2003 trophy ? Robinson - none, Ashton, Andrew - none, Johnno - none, Lancaster - NZ 2012, Jones - Australia 2016 & the semi final. It doesn’t look good does it for the next guy coming in ? In fact, you could argue England were on the decline in 2003 and got through thanks to an experienced pack and Wilkinson.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:41 pm ROG to rule himself out of England job by signing a contract extension at La Rochelle
Does that rule him out? Just means the RFU would have to pay compensation to La Rochelle to get him, so could be a win:win for the man and the club. Not going to happen of course - RFU too frit to sack Jones.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If people remember Eddie signed with I think the stormers just before England signed him so contracts mean little generally
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Sadly I am started to think that SB taking over post world cup is becoming inevitable. With all of this rumour and speculation around, the obvious thing for Tigers to do would be to get his signature on a new contract. That would show intent to stay as I do not see SB as the type to sign up then leave shortly after. This is certainly a time when the general Tigers media silence is not making things easy.

Now, this would not be the first time that the clubs has kept contract negotiations very quiet but I mentioned at the time of our last set of contract announcements that I was concerned that SB and his team were not among them and that is making me all the more nervous now. The talk of Tigers sounding out replacments does not add to my confidence. You must assume that a conversation was had. If it was along the lines of 'Steve, are you interested in the England job' 'no' 'Ok would you like a new contract' then we would not be seeing all of this. That to me suggestst there is some, if not a great deal, of interest in that England job.

How do I see it panning out. I can honestly see Gatland being appointed to replace a sacked Eddie Jones in the next couple of weeks. The appointment will be to the end of the World Cup with an end of season announcement that Borthwick will be joining up with England next season with a view to taking full controll at the end of the World Cup.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

If he goes he goes. Hopefully he won’t take Aled and Kev with him otherwise it will be nigh on impossible to replace them with the same quality. However, with the introduction of a number of very good academy players over the past couple of years we are in a good place.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I don’t agree with the previous posters that it is inevitable. Borthwick does things his way and I’m unsure how that would apply in International rugby, especially with his relations with the media, and such as players updates on injury. I feel if he went he would want a team manager with him to handle all the off field nonsense while he got on with the job of coaching.

With regard to the coaches moving on that will happen sooner or later, the key will be to keep the conveyor belt of young talent coming through and keeping to those Tigers vales to the for front.
The early part of Borthwicks tenure concentrated on getting these foundations in place, following the failure of previous coaches from and including Cockers.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Rumoured that England will hire Warren Gatland to take us to the WC if Jones is sacked before hiring somebody new after!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:00 pm Rumoured that England will hire Warren Gatland to take us to the WC if Jones is sacked before hiring somebody new after!
Operation “Out the frying pan into the fire”!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:32 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:00 pm Rumoured that England will hire Warren Gatland to take us to the WC if Jones is sacked before hiring somebody new after!
Operation “Out the frying pan into the fire”!
This is about the worst possible move they could make, people seem to forget how absolutely dire Gatland's last few coaching outings have been.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Also rumoured that he'll go back to Wales, replacing Pivac.
Semper in excretia
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Changed the thread title a bit as the rumours are stepping up around EJ leaving...

I really can't see him still being in position by Christmas now
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:31 pm Changed the thread title a bit as the rumours are stepping up around EJ leaving...

Its certainly gathering pace. But I’m not keen on Gatland. Why not offer it Robertson now and essentially give him the 6N and RWC as a free hit?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:33 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:31 pm Changed the thread title a bit as the rumours are stepping up around EJ leaving...

Its certainly gathering pace. But I’m not keen on Gatland. Why not offer it Robertson now and essentially give him the 6N and RWC as a free hit?
Now, we're talking about the RFU here....👀
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Grimlish wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:10 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:41 pm ROG to rule himself out of England job by signing a contract extension at La Rochelle
Does that rule him out? Just means the RFU would have to pay compensation to La Rochelle to get him, so could be a win:win for the man and the club. Not going to happen of course - RFU too frit to sack Jones.
The RFU aren't fond of buying coaches out of contracts these days. There's plenty of rumours around Eddie not getting the coaches he wants, particularly attack coach.