Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rumours around Borthwick going mid season are getting stronger.

Who gets the job if he leaves?

Kev
Brett
Steve Diamond?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:51 am Rumours around Borthwick going mid season are getting stronger.

Kev
Brett
Steve Diamond?
Eddie 😱
Semper in excretia
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I don't think Kev gets it. And I'd be concerned about Brett.

Do we go for similar (Perhaps one time Tiger Brad Thorn) or do we go for a more expansive option (perhaps Sam Vesty). I'd like a mix of the two if I'm honest.

I do wonder if Brett made head coach whether Louis would return to help the forwards out.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I think I’m right in saying that Gustard left Quins mid season and the coaches carried on as a co operative. Could see the same thing happening at Tigers while a long term replacement is found.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:08 am I think I’m right in saying that Gustard left Quins mid season and the coaches carried on as a co operative. Could see the same thing happening at Tigers while a long term replacement is found.
Indeed they did and they won the league.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:12 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:08 am I think I’m right in saying that Gustard left Quins mid season and the coaches carried on as a co operative. Could see the same thing happening at Tigers while a long term replacement is found.
Indeed they did and they won the league.
And their style of play changed to its current one too
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TTRITH wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:05 am I don't think Kev gets it. And I'd be concerned about Brett.

Do we go for similar (Perhaps one time Tiger Brad Thorn) or do we go for a more expansive option (perhaps Sam Vesty). I'd like a mix of the two if I'm honest.

I do wonder if Brett made head coach whether Louis would return to help the forwards out.
We must not revert to type by choosing only ex Tigers as coaches we all know just how badly that last ended. We have been here before, we hired Borthwick because the Chairman finally conceded that to save Tigers we must employ a top quality coach not just members of the Tigers Old Boys Association. He must be replaced with a top quality coach.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:00 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:51 am Rumours around Borthwick going mid season are getting stronger.

Kev
Brett
Steve Diamond?
Eddie 😱
Gatland
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I honestly think it's a bit too soon for Borthwick
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sapajo wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:50 am
TTRITH wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:05 am I don't think Kev gets it. And I'd be concerned about Brett.

We must not revert to type by choosing only ex Tigers as coaches we all know just how badly that last ended. We have been here before, we hired Borthwick because the Chairman finally conceded that to save Tigers we must employ a top quality coach not just members of the Tigers Old Boys Association. He must be replaced with a top quality coach.
This!

I don't see it happening mid-season anyway. If they're going to sack Eddie at this point it needs a very experienced coach to take them through to the RWC, I.e. Gatland or similar.

Either way, having previously been employed by Tigers should be nowhere near the list of criteria for Tigers' next Head Coach.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:21 pm I honestly think it's a bit too soon for Borthwick
I totally agree. BUT if you’re asked to coach your country do you say no ?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Having knowledge of the team you are to take over is not a necessary qualification for the job but it should not count against you either. Dean was not a bad appointment. John Wells, Pat Howard and Cocker all had some success.
I believe Geordan Murphy would have also done well given time and a pre season. Only Matt O' Connor was a really bad choice.
I hope Borthwick does not leave but I have no doubt that we will survive and thrive with the current squad of players.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Hopefully Steve has put standards and systems in place that his successor can continue and expand upon on if he does leave. Personally wouldn’t mind getting Sam Vesty as backs coach
A2O
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:46 pm Hopefully Steve has put standards and systems in place that his successor can continue and expand upon on if he does leave. Personally wouldn’t mind getting Sam Vesty as backs coach
that would be a demotion for Vesty
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:46 pm Hopefully Steve has put standards and systems in place that his successor can continue and expand upon on if he does leave. Personally wouldn’t mind getting Sam Vesty as backs coach
Steve Diamond and Sam would be a great pairing in my view, a no nonsense guy plus a flair coach, that would suit us nicely in my view.