Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Foy reporting it is bad news that means it's a done deal. He's got to be by far the most reliable source of info at the daily fail.

I've said it before I highly doubt Borthwick will asset strip the Tigers... that really is not the guy he comes over as.

What I think will happen is he'll use the team that is there for the 6 Nations. Note when he joined us the team there was assesed first, THEN rebuilt. I think he'll approach England the same way. He'll go in and say to the team there, this is my plan, we'll try the 6Nations if it doesn't work I'll be looking elsewhere.

That approach lets him see how much coaches were hampered by Jones along with who actually is not worth the role they're in.

There is not a single person Borthwick got rid of here at Tigers before he assesed and spent time with them...

Playing wise we may end up being stripped of players... Dan Cole for one will be recalled as Borthwick really sees the value in him...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:36 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:31 pm Peter Tom is not a man I would take lightly in a negotiation. If Borthwick goes now it would have to be for a big payout for Tigers.

Think the club with tread water until the right man comes along.
Key man in all this for me is Aled, even more than Sinfield. If he can stay around and provide a figurehead it would ease any transition
A chance to condition the England squad into Boks 2019 shape ? He’d relish it.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:52 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:31 pm Peter Tom is not a man I would take lightly in a negotiation. If Borthwick goes now it would have to be for a big payout for Tigers.

Key man in all this for me is Aled, even more than Sinfield. If he can stay around and provide a figurehead it would ease any transition
Proud Welshman working for England, still not 100% convinced
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:52 pm

+1
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

The paucity of quality coaching within the England set up is half the problem, Borthwick will want his guys alongside him. It's also worth noting that we were rock bottom when he came in, so in that sense he had time to assess the set up here - by the nature of the role, I really don't think he'll get that luxury with England. He'll be expected to deliver from the word Go. He won't get that grace he enjoyed here.

I'd be amazed if he doesn't take Sir Kev and Aled at least.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I think I'd prefer Tigers to not simply employ whoever is available now. Rather get a great replacement for next season. Even if it means they struggle this season.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Well the RFU continue to compound bad decision on bad decision, I have a horrible feeling this isn't going to end well for Steve
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:01 pm Well the RFU continue to compound bad decision on bad decision, I have a horrible feeling this isn't going to end well for Steve
I've said all along I think it's too soon for Steve. I feel he needed more experience in the Champions Cup in particular. Genuinely hope I'm completely wrong!
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I've heard there's a top Aussie coach available. Gentleman by the name of O'Connor.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Postiger2 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:05 pm I've heard there's a top Aussie coach available. Gentleman by the name of O'Connor.
🤬🤬🤬
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:10 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:05 pm I've heard there's a top Aussie coach available. Gentleman by the name of O'Connor.
🤬🤬🤬
Don't be like that Scott. I have a few pals
who work for an international recruitment agency, they have scoured the globe and they tell me he's the best out there :smt002
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Potentially right bloke, wrong time for both parties is my view.

I too would be surprised to see Aled working for England & have said as much for sometime but we shall see.

If SB can take WW as his backs coach that would be a bonus.

Its off season in NZ so if there is any traction on McDonald it could work now.

I think Chieka would really fit the club but timing doesn't look favourable, but he was able to coach 2 teams at once so anything is possible.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:16 pm Potentially right bloke, wrong time for both parties is my view.

I too would be surprised to see Aled working for England & have said as much for sometime but we shall see.

If SB can take WW as his backs coach that would be a bonus.

Its off season in NZ so if there is any traction on McDonald it could work now.

I think Chieka would really fit the club but timing doesn't look favourable, but he was able to coach 2 teams at once so anything is possible.
Great shout. Chieka would be a fantastic appointment and a real statement. Don't pretend to know a lot about McDonald but his record speaks for itself.

It's a huge decision for the club, whatever happens. I hope we don't promote from within, not that we don't have good coaches but don't see a natural head coach on the staff currently.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Seen a few people wondering on Twitter if Matt Everard was bought in as a replacement for Kev... was the Wasps defence coach before they folded
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

As others have said, I'm amazed Mark McCall isn't part of the conversation. Even with the ever-so-slightly favourable conditions at Sarries, he's got an incredible CV.

Perhaps events at Sarries are the reason he (seemingly) has never been approached.

He would be an ideal appointment in my view.