Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by LE18 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:32 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:46 pm Hopefully Steve has put standards and systems in place that his successor can continue and expand upon on if he does leave. Personally wouldn’t mind getting Sam Vesty as backs coach
Steve Diamond and Sam would be a great pairing in my view, a no nonsense guy plus a flair coach, that would suit us nicely in my view.
On reflection, they would do a great job for England!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:07 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:46 pm Hopefully Steve has put standards and systems in place that his successor can continue and expand upon on if he does leave. Personally wouldn’t mind getting Sam Vesty as backs coach
that would be a demotion for Vesty
Even pushing a broom at Tigers would be a promotion from Stains :smt023
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:08 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:21 pm I honestly think it's a bit too soon for Borthwick
I totally agree. BUT if you’re asked to coach your country do you say no ?
Not saying he would do the same, but, he did turn the Lions down....
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:47 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:21 pm I honestly think it's a bit too soon for Borthwick
Not saying he would do the same, but, he did turn the Lions down....
Very different really but I take your point. He is very much his own man.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

:smt016
Well he cannot put making the right squad building, team selection or game development decisions in place that is down to his successor. That is why we need someone who is highly capable of this rather than just trying to maintain the status quo.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Arguably you only coach your country once, so might as well (delay and) make it a good one when it happens.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:34 pm
Arguably you only coach your country once, so might as well (delay and) make it a good one when it happens.
Of course. But will the offer ever come again ?
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

He will be offered it and he should take it. You don’t become a great coach by turning down a bigger and better job. I love tigers but know that the best coaches are in international rugby. It would be a sad day but he will realise that if he turns it down it may not come around again.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Yes, good point. I guess the old adage is true, you have to take your opportunities when they come along because they might not come round again.

I just feel he needs another 1 or 2 years as head honcho here. I see him as the appointment after the next appointment but he could be an old man by then!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

I wonder what sort of situation it might be, in that has the RFU already approached Borthwick to see if he would be interested in the job if it were to be available next week, if he says yes then he may be in fact condemning Eddie to the sack which I guess he probably wouldn't want to do given their history working together whereas if he has not said or indicated anything then the RFU would have to risk firing Eddie with no confirmed replacement and only the hope of getting him for the job.

I really cannot see them firing Eddie unless they have someone already lined up for the job whether that be Borthwick or Robertson.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

In Wendyball you read of clubs being approached for permission to talk to managers. Is that the process in rugby too
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:41 pm In Wendyball you read of clubs being approached for permission to talk to managers. Is that the process in rugby too
I don't know, but the recruitment process for Eddie's replacement has been well underway for some time. The intention at the start of that process was for it to be post world cup.

The process had narrowed it down to 3 candidates (Borthwick, Robinson & O'Gara) and rumour had it that the interviews were last month. If true that means they may well have a favourite agreed on prior to the decision to get rid of EJ.

If that's the case and they know their favourite then the first thing would be to see if they can get that person early, along with looking at those available (like Gatland) who may be able to be an interim
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:24 am
wigworth wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:12 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:08 am I think I’m right in saying that Gustard left Quins mid season and the coaches carried on as a co operative. Could see the same thing happening at Tigers while a long term replacement is found.
Indeed they did and they won the league.
And their style of play changed to its current one too
Quins have always played the same! If anything they've just become more defensively organised and Adam Jones has worked his magic in the scrum
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

England have two options.
A short term appointment if their preferred option is unavailable and a longer term appointment after the World Cup when their chosen head coach may be free.

Perhaps, if they have been sounding out individuals, they have again overlooked Sean Edwards yet again.
Wellscity
Tiger Cub

Post by Wellscity »

Was always a possibility Borths would be the main consideration to replace EJ.
It was my fear we would get on the upward curve and then back the drawing board to scour the world for a top class coach"
I already think its a done deal but I hope I'm proved wrong.
Gats would not consider club rugby and has designs of coaching a National team
Steve D is too similar to Cockers.
I think we have to look further afield in the long term as we don't know who else from the coaching set up Borths may take.