Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by Rugbygramps »

I wonder if in a perverse way Pivac getting replaced by Gatland will help Jones cause. He could say Wales tried an untried international coach and look what happened to them, they’ve gone back to the bloke with experience
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Does anyone know what the perception of this situation is with supporters of other clubs, as obviously we are are far from unbiased on here about this.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I think he has to go if England make an offer. What would happen if, say, Cockers took England to the last 4 of the world cup, after winning the six nations? Would you let him go for Steve? I'm not so sure.

We all know Steve is interested, I wish he'd put the speculation to bed and either say he's interested or that he won't leave Tigers mid-season.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:44 pm I think he has to go if England make an offer. What would happen if, say, Cockers took England to the last 4 of the world cup, after winning the six nations? Would you let him go for Steve? I'm not so sure.

We all know Steve is interested, I wish he'd put the speculation to bed and either say he's interested or that he won't leave Tigers mid-season.
I think that we have already had that in a round about manner. If the intention was to stay on next season then that is the easy thing to say, You say that, say you would not look to take the England job and the media is off your back and you can get back to doing your job. Even better, sign a new contract.

Bearing in mind that SB does not strike me as the type to be playing the RFU off against Tigers to get a better contract (the old Manu trick) and bearing in mind that there do appear to have already been interviews, my assumption is that he will take the England job and then question is now a matter of when and not if. That could depend on whether EJ stays in position, whether there is an interim or whether we agree to a release.

The worst outcome, an announcement that SB will take over at the end of the season as that would then result in more media pressure and more distractions from the Tigers job. Either appoint him now, not ideal, or name an interim coach and simply say that candidates are still being considered for the positon later on.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:44 pm I think he has to go if England make an offer. What would happen if, say, Cockers took England to the last 4 of the world cup, after winning the six nations? Would you let him go for Steve? I'm not so sure.

Absolutely. While I agree that he isn’t the sort of bloke to leave a job half finished, if England say we want you immediately, he has to take the job. Who knows what may happen, the other bloke might do a storming job and stay in place for 8 years and Borthwicks time will have gone.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:52 pm

Absolutely. While I agree that he isn’t the sort of bloke to leave a job half finished, if England say we want you immediately, he has to take the job. Who knows what may happen, the other bloke might do a storming job and stay in place for 8 years and Borthwicks time will have gone.
Well, apart from leaving Bristol to join England….
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Do we know that he's interested? He's ambitious so it's a fair assumption but I haven't seen him actually say "I am interested in the England Head coach role"
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Anyway, all will be revealed tomorrow.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:58 pm Anyway, all will be revealed tomorrow.
More likely leaked today! 😆
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The odds will be short on Eddie staying on, in my opinion, but then again, I’m not a betting man!
Semper in excretia
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:30 pm Looks good on paper,until England then lose to Scotland first game up in the 6N!
Which will not matter much if the RFU have agreed that Jones stays until after the RWC 2023.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:57 pm

Do we know that he's interested? He's ambitious so it's a fair assumption but I haven't seen him actually say "I am interested in the England Head coach role"
I believe he along with the other shortlisted candidates (Robertson & O'Gara) were interviewed last month for the role. (This was when it was a Post World Cup opening not immediate)

Not many people interview for a role without at least a level of interest in the role.

Also there are rumours that Tigers themselves have started (after telling Borthwick they wouldn't stand in his way of becoming England coach) looking at new head coaches for next season and beyond. That we know Tigers aren't exactly planning on getting rid of Borthwick means we've started contingency planning for him leaving.

Now I can't imagine we'd have started looking at an alternative without Andrea speaking to Steve and saying are you interested, if he said no, we'd not be looking at replacements right now at all.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:11 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:30 pm Looks good on paper,until England then lose to Scotland first game up in the 6N!
Which will not matter much if the RFU have agreed that Jones stays until after the RWC 2023.
Matters a heck of a lot if they could have got rid of him but bottled it instead, see SA boos for reference!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I’ve flip flopped on this a bit but I just can’t see how EJ stays after that SA game. The more I think about it the more I see Cockers or COS taking over temporarily. It buys the RFU a bit of time and takes the heat off them ,happy to be pointed out otherwise but from what I’ve seen,heard and read the majority of England fans want EJ gone. People have short memories,of all a sudden the RFU become the good guys. For now!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:47 pm I’ve flip flopped on this a bit but I just can’t see how EJ stays after that SA game. The more I think about it the more I see Cockers or COS taking over temporarily. It buys the RFU a bit of time and takes the heat off them ,happy to be pointed out otherwise but from what I’ve seen,heard and read the majority of England fans want EJ gone. People have short memories,of all a sudden the RFU become the good guys. For now!
I do agree that EJ has to go. Ironically against the same opposition but the performance, the build up and the response from the crowd were almost identical to when Robinson went. I can see it being a matter of money. If the RFU can pay off EJ and reach a deal with us that they can afford then SB will be in the job by the weekend. If not, I suspect he will join up with them the end of the season but the interim coach may take them through the world cup.