Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by jgriffin »

Last season may well have been our annus mirabilis, this year our anus horribilis.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Last person I’d want is cockers.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World C

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:13 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:07 pm
wigworth wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:03 pm Well I guess if Borthwick does have the job we will see how highly he rates some of our players come 6 nations time with who we may lose during this period.
It will be interesting but I think I know who his skipper will be and it’s not Farrell
You think Lawes gets the captaincy back? I am curious if Borthwick still thinks Coles has some miles on him left at international level.
No I think he would give it to Genge. Worked once and they have an excellent relationship
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Wonder if I’m the only one hoping, if this is how it’s going to play out, they all fall flat on their faces
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:15 pm Last season may well have been our annus mirabilis, this year our anus horribilis.
It’s difficult. Last year we were way ahead of schedule, and this season even though we are not playing well top 4 is well within our grasp, and IMO 2nd is obtainable.
We are very fortunate with the group of players we have experience wise, and in Andrea a CEO who won’t let things slide.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Borthwick going isn’t the end of the world. Feel in many ways the stars aligned last season and this season has shown the limitations of his game plan. Saying that if given the choice would I want him to stay? Of course.

I’d be annoyed though if Aled and Sinfield leave mid season too. Would leave us in a rubbish position with no continuity.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Coaches I like who are realistic imo
Club head coaches
1. John Dobson (Been great with Stormers would prob fit our current playing squad)
2. Dan McFarland (Been great with Ulster)
3. Leon McDonald (Transformed the blues)
4. Andy Friend (Does great with zero budget)
5. Stephen Larkham

International coaches potentially post RWC
1. Vern Cotter
2. Michael Chieka
3. Jamie Joesph (Dream land)
4. Dave Rennie (Rumours is Robertson to Aus)
5. Kieran Crowley
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

anz3001 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:22 pm Wonder if I’m the only one hoping, if this is how it’s going to play out, they all fall flat on their faces
Hope is strong but like many on here I’m wondering how Steve will manage as the big cheese. Still not convinced that Sinfield and Kev will follow him.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

We pursuade Borthwick to leave England to join us and he does. Before the end of his Tigers contract Borthwick may leave Tigers and return to England. What conclusions and learnings can our club draw if he does?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:27 pm We pursuade Borthwick to leave England to join us and he does. Before the end of his Tigers contract Borthwick may leave Tigers and return to England. What conclusions and learnings can our club draw if he does?
They can't really,its just one for those things for me. As long as we are properly compensated from the RFU what else can we do?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Peter Tom is not a man I would take lightly in a negotiation. If Borthwick goes now it would have to be for a big payout for Tigers.

Think the club with tread water until the right man comes along.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Regardless the squad is in a much better place now than when he left. (Well outside of Moroni and Ford, I think Cronin has been a good replacement for Genge).

Does make things interesting in terms of Steve's guys who I think might struggle with a new head coach though.
Wigglesworth
Van Wyk
Gopperth
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

sapajo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:27 pm We pursuade Borthwick to leave England to join us and he does. Before the end of his Tigers contract Borthwick may leave Tigers and return to England. What conclusions and learnings can our club draw if he does?
Well the sarcastic answer would be not to hire good coaches who might succeed and be sort after for international jobs but realistically I think it is just unfortunate timing and bad circumstances, if England been a bit more competitive with SA or beaten the Pumas this likely wouldn't have happened and Borthwick would be here at least until the end of the season.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigers86asw wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:31 pm Peter Tom is not a man I would take lightly in a negotiation. If Borthwick goes now it would have to be for a big payout for Tigers.

Key man in all this for me is Aled, even more than Sinfield. If he can stay around and provide a figurehead it would ease any transition
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:36 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:31 pm Peter Tom is not a man I would take lightly in a negotiation. If Borthwick goes now it would have to be for a big payout for Tigers.

Key man in all this for me is Aled, even more than Sinfield. If he can stay around and provide a figurehead it would ease any transition
Agreed!