Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/BBCRLSport/status/1 ... lGEzA&s=19

Borthwick currently anticipating being in charge of us vs Clermont.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Conor O'Shea quoted in the Guardian as saying it will all be sorted out soon.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:10 am Conor O'Shea quoted in the Guardian as saying it will all be sorted out soon.
The question is not when it will be sorted out the question is what coaching staff will be left at Tigers :smt009
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Super User
Super User

sapajo wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:08 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:10 am Conor O'Shea quoted in the Guardian as saying it will all be sorted out soon.
The question is not when it will be sorted out the question is what coaching staff will be left at Tigers :smt009
That is the the main issue, it really needs sorting asap, want the club should certainly be is as pig headed as the RFU when SB came to us. If WW goes "now" we will need to recruit another 9 unless we are going to trust Edwards & Simmons can actually be fit, we potentially might need some sort of salary cap exception...

Of all the coaches Walters is the one that I think would leave the biggest hole, let's hope those working below him have been learning fast.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:30 am
That is the the main issue, it really needs sorting asap, want the club should certainly be is as pig headed as the RFU when SB came to us. If WW goes "now" we will need to recruit another 9 unless we are going to trust Edwards & Simmons can actually be fit, we potentially might need some sort of salary cap exception...

Of all the coaches Walters is the one that I think would leave the biggest hole, let's hope those working below him have been learning fast.
Very good point there Wayne in terms of succession. Hopefully these great coaches will have imparted some of their expertise to those in their teams.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Not sure why we'd need a salary cap exception...

Wigglesworth's full salary is in the cap. If he goes mid season then the remainder of his contract will become available to sign a recruitment. Personally I'd be looking at Will Porter, signed as an injury replacement for Randall; doubt Bristol have cap space outside injury cover so once Randall is fit they may have to release him? However if he's not available I'm sure there are some scrum halves we can get in for similar to Wigglesworth (note we pay him to be a coach and a player so even if his "playing" salary isn't that high he won't be on a tiny amount)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:42 am

Not sure why we'd need a salary cap exception...

Wigglesworth's full salary is in the cap. If he goes mid season then the remainder of his contract will become available to sign a recruitment. Personally I'd be looking at Will Porter, signed as an injury replacement for Randall; doubt Bristol have cap space outside injury cover so once Randall is fit they may have to release him? However if he's not available I'm sure there are some scrum halves we can get in for similar to Wigglesworth (note we pay him to be a coach and a player so even if his "playing" salary isn't that high he won't be on a tiny amount)
Saw something about Joe Simpson moving on. Is he currently clubless.
Super User
Super User

Simpson retired.

A Non Super Rugby contracted Kiwi might be worthwhile.

I think we really should of given Edwards time in a "proper" game by now.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Jan 1st would be the most likely date?

Did we re-sign Simmons to cover SH knowing that WW was part of SB team?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:00 pm Simpson retired.

A Non Super Rugby contracted Kiwi might be worthwhile.

I think we really should of given Edwards time in a "proper" game by now.
Would love to see Brad Weber seems to have slipped a little down the New Zealand ranks.
Super User
Super User

Weber would be a great signing if YBY is going to finish the end of this season/post RWC, if not we would probably be looking at a "cheaper" 9.

TJ Perenara would be an excellent fit for English Rugby, just feel he would be an ideal Tiger.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:00 pm Simpson retired.
He did indeed, although interestingly he is on the bench for Sale this weekend! :smt017
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Rumours about EJ going to join Aus coaching team in time for world cup. Apparently, RFU could have had a "no compete" clause in his contract - but didn't.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Does anyone see a situation where SB remains with us, along with the rest of the coaching group, until the end of the season?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:25 pm Does anyone see a situation where SB remains with us, along with the rest of the coaching group, until the end of the season?
I think if there is a way of working with Cockers to somehow combine the 2 roles until June 1st it may be looked at. Would save the RFU a few quid too.