Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by Postiger2 »

I understand that I'm very much in the minority here but I think Gatland in the short term would be decent.

In my opinion, Shaun Edwards is the man. The RFU need to go all out and buy him out of his contract with France. Weaken them, strengthen us. Won't happen though, they'll go for a freebie I'd imagine.
Last edited by Postiger2 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Lots of rumours doing the rounds: Gatland to take over with Borthwick “helping out”, whatever that means.
I honestly don’t think Borthwick is ready yet and think he himself wouldn’t want to risk his growing reputation by taking on England until after the World Cup.
If he does go then maybe Wigglesworth is the one to take over with as many of the current coaches staying!
What is worrying is it doesn’t help Tigers in preparing for Bristol and the rest of the season.
Lastly, the style that won Tigers the Premiership won’t be good enough at international level.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Now also being rumoured Conor O'Shea is in the running to be the interim coach, with how many names are being thrown around it does make me think Eddie may actually be going
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:45 am Now also being rumoured Conor O'Shea is in the running to be the interim coach, with how many names are being thrown around it does make me think Eddie may actually be going
O’Shea already employed by the RFU so would make sense.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:45 am Now also being rumoured Conor O'Shea is in the running to be the interim coach, with how many names are being thrown around it does make me think Eddie may actually be going
I really do get the feeling that this is the end for EJ. No basis in fact or even rumour but I can see an announcement over the weekend or Monday morning. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I stll think that it will be an interim appointment until the end of the world cup with, unfortunately, Borthwick joining the back room staff at the end of the season then taking over at the end of the tournament. I cannot see the Tigers agreeing to SB having any involvement before that as it is bad enough losing players during the 6 nations so to lose the coach for that period as well would be a disaster.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

There’s no smoke without fire so agree it would appear Jones days are numbered. Not as convinced about Borthwicks progression as others but we’ll see.
If it is interim O’Shea would make sense, backed up by maybe Baxter, who has taken a step backwards at Exeter, or even get Diamond involved
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tell you what, if this is the end for EJ, he'll be fuming...

He is so focused on the world cup he'll be raging that he's not getting a chance at it with England.

If England do scrap him off I wonder if he'd consider the Wales job.

I know he may see it as a long shot, but I think his obsession with winning the world cup would make him take up any post that gave him a shot at winning it...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:25 am Tell you what, if this is the end for EJ, he'll be fuming...

He is so focused on the world cup he'll be raging that he's not getting a chance at it with England.

If England do scrap him off I wonder if he'd consider the Wales job.

I know he may see it as a long shot, but I think his obsession with winning the world cup would make him take up any post that gave him a shot at winning it...
He’s got the right surname for sure. Jones the Coach.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Cockers has a track record of doing great things with teams short term.....

:smt002 :smt005
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ads wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:37 am Cockers has a track record of doing great things with teams short term.....

He’s already there and arguably made things worse
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:40 am
ads wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:37 am Cockers has a track record of doing great things with teams short term.....

I thought that Proudfoot was the forwards coach, Cockerill the scrum coach.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:41 am

And the scrum is going really well !!
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:46 am

The Coaches under Jones, or whoever may be in the lead role, can only work with the players they are given. So if the scrum coach is not getting the quality of players they need to get the results, it's not really their fault. The pack that is selected may not be the one needed to get results.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

WirralExile wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:03 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:46 am

The Coaches under Jones, or whoever may be in the lead role, can only work with the players they are given. So if the scrum coach is not getting the quality of players they need to get the results, it's not really their fault. The pack that is selected may not be the one needed to get results.

Surely at Test level the players have already reached higher levels of technical ability and fitness and any training should be around specific tactics for that opposition, and a coach should be able to say if a player isn’t good enough.
The one thing that has become clear over the last few days, listening to a number of pundits, is that Jones coaches through fear which would explain some of his mistakes with players and coaches. He only wants people who do what he says and wants.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'd like to know exactly how many different coaches EJ has had since he took over!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer